RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

hazael

Dec 21, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Weird pain on foot
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sorry to write about this, I think its really dumb and weird, but I want to know if any of you have heard of something like this:

I climbed all the weekend, V4's on sat and multipitched routes on sun. After the last route on sun, i felt my left toe really weak, so I was done for the day. On monday I could hardly step with my left foot, it was just 2 painful.

I gave it a rest, and did nothing. I thought today would be better, but it wasnt. I feel a lot better if Im bare foot.

any comments?

jakedatc

Dec 21, 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: Weird pain on foot [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it could be a neuroma.. basically a nerve impingement to your toes.. sometimes caused by tight shoes.. aka climbing shoes

it's usually the 2nd and 3rd toe but i could see it going to your big toe too
"relieved by going barefoot and increases wearing tight shoes"

you might try to put some sort of an arch pad in your shoe or stick to easier stuff that you can wear an old pair of shoes that arent as tight

so.. wider shoes or take a break for a little while until it settles down

grover

Dec 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep could be neuroma. I've been having the same problem for over a year. Just got an x-ray the other day and am waiting for results. Cortizone is suppose to help and a procedure is available as well. Ice does relieve the pain and swelling. I would see a doc about this. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hazael

Dec 21, 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to both of you... I didn't expect it to be that complicated. Keep me posted on the results dude! I'm going to try healing it with ice.

Thanks and good luck!

nikokyrio

Dec 24, 2004, 2:02 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also have a pain in my large toe right near the large joint. It has been of and on for a while now, maybe a year. Running doesn't help- That's for sure. After researching a bit on the net I found a condition called turf toe which is caused by constant high presures on the large toe (mainly playing sports on hard ground, like climbing). They said taping could help, but I'm not sure of the proceedure.

I also found that the way I climb affects it. If I just stand and rest the toes in my foot while on a foothold then it hurts after. But when I concentrate on keeping the toes active (even if slightly flexed) rather then appling presure on the relaxed tips, it helps the pain and even my momentum while climbing.

I hope this helps!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook