Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

daggerx

Feb 11, 2002, 1:18 AM
Post #101 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

profanity when climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Climbing with out profanity (sp) is like baseball with out the ball.

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 11, 2002, 8:31 PM
Post #102 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like to swear if the route is pissing me off. However, that's usually when I'm just with my partner and I. If others are around, I say stuff like "Shiznick" or "Blizoed". Sounds dumb? Not as dumb as you sound when trying to explain to someone you offended why you swore without swearing at them!!!

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 11, 2002, 8:37 PM
Post #103 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe that so many people are getting all into this topic of swearing!!! This is cracking me up! I do have respect for those of you who take offense to cuss words, but seriously they are just words. F.U.C.K. was actually an acronym (sp?) for For Unlawful Carnal Knowlege. It was used back when early settlers were caught in an affair. They would be put in the racks and F.U.C.K. was written above their head. How it became a cuss word I don't know. Just a bit of info that I thought was interesting. Laters ya'll!

xen_monkey

Feb 11, 2002, 8:45 PM
Post #104 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is an intense, emotional activity and sometimes a word like F*CK is perfect to express what you feel. Why would an inteligent, informed and enlightened climber not use a word that expresses their emotion so succinctly.
Saying only ignorant people swear is ridiculous.

Partner camhead

Feb 11, 2002, 8:50 PM
Post #105 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright all you m***er f**king s--- eating bitches that think swearing is a sign of ignorance!

I, a profane cursor and the instigator of this damn topic, just got accepted into a pretty select PhD program!!! Shit, I guess I should drop out if I'm so f***ing ignorant.
hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!

theamish

Feb 11, 2002, 10:09 PM
Post #106 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm amazed at the amount of people that mistake the meanings of intelligence, or education vs. ignorance. I wish some of you would take your PHD. and trade it in for a F**King dictionary. Remember my original statement I swear also. Just not proud, in retrospect, when I show my ignorance.

codey

Feb 11, 2002, 10:37 PM
Post #107 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Pianoman

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 11, 2002, 10:51 PM
Post #108 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Camhead, congrats on your success!! Go kick some f*ucking a**!!!!!!

boretribe

Feb 12, 2002, 12:06 AM
Post #109 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually f--- dates back to a lot earlier than the settlers...

Word History: The obscenity f--- is a very old word and has been considered shocking from the first, though it is seen in print much more often now than in the past. Its first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

kunzie

Jun 18, 2002, 11:28 AM
Post #110 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also disagree with the swearing vs intelligence factor, but when there's kids around...
2 years ago I swore my head off when climbing just in exasperation, but I learnt just to substitute the curse with phrases from monty python. I cracked myself up when instead of saying sh*t I'll go "What also floats in water? bread, cider, very small rocks, gravy, churches...a duck!" And by the time I'm up to duck I've gotten past the problem area. Comedy as opposed to cussing makes a good diversion, where people still look at you strangely but you're too giggling to care.
Or maybe that just shows my lack of intelligence

lilred

Jun 18, 2002, 2:56 PM
Post #111 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought F.U.C.K standed for "fornication under consent of the King" back in the old english days when you had to get permision to have sex...
anyway, "swear" words are just words...I don't understand how people can get their panties all in a knot when people cuss...
Repetitive cussing tends to get annoying, and to me suggests laziness in other choices of words; but if you are hoping for an onsite and miss the last move, hell ya I'm gonna shout some "foul" language!
I hate how everyone has to *bleep* out words...that is censorship, and the worst theing about censorship is *bleep*...
But that is an entirely different post...
Just my thoughts.

cajunclimbere

Jun 18, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #112 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My opinion is you can do what ya what ya want IT’S A FREE COUNTRY weather or not you have respect to do it when its appropriate is truly a question of class and all that stuff that people care about. As far as pianos comments about something like your not a smart person if you cuss is BULL#$@!

phil_nev

Jun 18, 2002, 3:21 PM
Post #113 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My PASHION for climbing is reflected in my actions to suceed. I love the challenge, the feeling, the rushm i LOVE it all. If i tick something i have been workin on, sometimes i jsut feel the need to scream, YEAH! Just excited, i'm extactic and i refuse to hold back my emotions for fear of offending someone. If i swear, which i do, i always appoligise to otheres, but they(the people i climb with), know my pashion, and have gotten used to it. As for others, many people find my enthusiasm encouriging and inspirational. I have evn had people come up to me and comment on how passionate i am...... But if i offend anyone, i ensure i make good with them....

furrtastic

Jun 19, 2002, 3:00 PM
Post #114 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Think about where you are at and who might be around you. You might be offened or annoyed by someone screaming like a maniac when you are trying to concentrate on a tough move nearby. Your bad habits can be controlled, if you think before you speak.

biggernhell

Jun 19, 2002, 3:35 PM
Post #115 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure on the way things go outside of the states, but here we do have that thing that is constantly keeping me out of trouble(some times even on this sight). Its called the first amendment. So, f**k it!

[ This Message was edited by: biggernhell on 2002-06-19 08:36 ]

elvislegs

Jun 19, 2002, 3:37 PM
Post #116 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Profanity is completely about audience. Culture, upbringing, religious convivtion, these sort of things define our speech. I know people who are appauled at the word FART. I also know very intelligent, articulate, educated people who "curse" habitually. The problems arise when two different standards collide. I try to respect people I am around in all ways, including my speech. I listen to their speech and think about my own as I talk with them. This avoids alot of problems with offense etc. and helps gain friends. In the cases where I slip, or misjudge, or am too pissed off to care, I apologize and repair the relationship if necessary. My personal level is a use of profanity for color and humor, keeping in mind that overuse of any word gets really annoying. I am saying stack the odds in your favor and try to be diplomatic. . .oh SH!T did I spell all that right? ...

[ This Message was edited by: elvislegs on 2002-06-19 08:40 ]

noal

Jun 19, 2002, 3:58 PM
Post #117 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I completely agree with Pianomahnn, I believe swearing is a sign of intelligence. And just because know alot about something, or have excellent grammar or vocabulary knowledge, does not make you intelligent. As a side point, both Albert Einstein and Samuel Clemens agree with me a piano on this point, as well as William churchhill, and you talk about a man in a high stress situation, wow! So if we're all so uptight about leaving trash at the crag, because we all believe in the beauty of a nice, pristeen, unmarred by man, place too climb. Then we're just a bunk of hypocritical, self righteous, look how ethical I am, pride seeking people, if we don't also believe in not filling the air at the crag with it also! I know it definetly degrades from the beauty of the whole scene if I hear a bunch of profanity while climbing, after all you climb with all your senses. So lets all be curtious please, but hey if your definetly al alone, then have at! Just be curtious of others ok!

ravens_wing_jim

Jun 19, 2002, 4:25 PM
Post #118 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Me cuss at the crags?
Well, I guess I could say that I
really just follow my own energy flow
on any givin day that I climb.
Somedays I fu*#king cuss a lot,
somedays I dont.
It really doesnt matter to me either way
and I'm not trying to offend anyone around
me when I do.
Its just that somedays I'm feeling
rather fu*#king wolfish and kinda fu*#king
spunky!
So...on those days, I guess I'm
just feeling motherfu*#king stupid!
Haaaa!

clmbnski

Jun 19, 2002, 4:26 PM
Post #119 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im a somewhat new trad leader and so I often have problems with my gear becoming tangled and unorganized. So when I get into a desperate situation this causes me to start to cuss and freakout. Well I noticed my friends I climb with would get sort of quiet and annoyed while I was cussing so I started to try yelling non obsenites.

I find the best thing to yell is some sort of primitive instinctual caveman grunt, a Walt Whitman "yalp" if you will. Unfortunatly I began yelling "rrrhhhhaaaaa!!!!!" and my belayer thought I was yelling "Rock!" and began diving for cover. Luckily I was not pulled off the rock. Now I try and yell out "No!" and "Ghhha!"

noal

Jun 19, 2002, 4:36 PM
Post #120 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climberchick

nikegirl

Jun 19, 2002, 4:36 PM
Post #121 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I now use: instead of "PURPLE MONKEY"...
I say: CRIMENY!!!!!

*shi* come's out way tooooo easy!!*

A GOOD OL "GRUNT"... Works too.!!

T

climberchic

Jun 19, 2002, 7:24 PM
Post #122 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Noal....what?

And did someone say...YAWP???

WOO-HOO!!

[ This Message was edited by: climberchic on 2002-06-19 18:14 ]

torvum

Jun 19, 2002, 7:51 PM
Post #123 of 180 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Usually when I climb I count in my head, and whenever i reach a tough move, ill scream the number im currently on really loud. 1..2..3..FOUR..5..6..SEVEN

heheh..
i have to agree with everyone on the swearing around kids. I don't think thats very intelligent at all, but I must say that the odd stream of foul language does provide succor.

And, when accompanied by the right audience, swearing can be humerous if the right words are chosen. Words like: sh--, fu--, a--, motherfu----, are rarely funny. If your looking to provide some comic relief, try using:

Tainte Pimple,
Ball Sweat,
and
Penis Licker.

In my opinion, those phrases are MUCH funnier than the commonly used curses.

Soo.. in conclusion, don't swear infront of kids and virgin-eared people, and if you do decide to swear, at least make it creative.

Thats my 2 cents

noal

Jun 19, 2002, 8:25 PM
Post #124 of 180 (8780 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry climberchic, when you said that screaming rhhaaaa, caused people too take cover I thought that was pretty funny!

pushfurther

Jun 19, 2002, 8:39 PM
Post #125 of 180 (8778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i make female sex noises.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook