RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

cbauer1439

Feb 17, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Nikon Fe???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Would a nikon FE, if equiped with the proper stuff be a good camera for climbing?

the_pirate

Feb 17, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nikon Fe??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sure.

pico23

Feb 18, 2005, 7:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Would a nikon FE, if equiped with the proper stuff be a good camera for climbing?

You have to ask yourself, what makes a camera good for climbing first? then you'll have your answer.

Seeing as how Galen Rowell used an FE (or similar) for quite a few shots I don't think the FE will limit you. However, when you come back with less than spectacular shots you can always blame it on the cameras lack of sophistication. On the flip side, if you have a really advanced camera you can always blame it on the fact that the camera was too complicated. There's always an out. If you have AF it was the AF that lost the shot, without it you couldn't focus fast enough. It's always the camera, never the photographer. :wink:

But seriously the FE is a fine climbing camera. It's as good as the FM in terms of build quality but with aperture priority. You can of course still use it in full manual. It has DOF preview, and multi exposure. It accepts a motor drive as well but that drive is freakin huge if I remember correctly. All in all perfectly useful today.

omenbringer

Feb 18, 2005, 8:30 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've read the Nikon FE and FM (as well as the FE2 and FM2s) are perfect cameras for climbing photography. They are very versatile and durable cameras. Also because they are full manual cameras you wont have to worry about the batteries dying on you in the cold and precluding you from taking any good pictures (the batteries on the FE and FM series only power the light meter which you can shoot without if need be). Lens are fairly cheap as well and if you troll the used photo markets you'll be able to save even more money. From what I have read the FE is better suited to climbing photograghy than the FM due to a difference in the shutters which gives the FE better cold weather performance. I own an FE 2 and have managed to take many great pictures using over the counter (walmart) film, professional slide film (very dramatic but pricey) and black and white film (great for that antiquated bold adventurer look). Keep in mind that you will probably have to pay a little more to fix or clean it up, but it is well worth it and in the long run will make you a better photographer.
In reply to:
It accepts a motor drive as well but that drive is freakin huge if I remember correctly
Also if I remember correctly the FE and FM had a problem with the motor drives draining the batteries.
As far as accessories I would suggest you spend the extra money and get the Nikon brand. You will pay more but in my experience I haven't had much success with with other brands.
One last thing depending on how much this rig will cost you, you might want to consider purchasing the Nikon FM2N (A collectors edition with a fast 45mm lens) or the FM3A (Newest FM series camera). Both of these will perform like the other FE/FM manual cameras, however they have been updated to work with the modern line of Nikon accessories and flashes.

omenbringer

Feb 18, 2005, 8:47 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've read the Nikon FE and FM (as well as the FE2 and FM2s) are perfect cameras for climbing photography. They are very versatile and durable cameras. Also because they are full manual cameras you wont have to worry about the batteries dying on you in the cold and precluding you from taking any good pictures (the batteries on the FE and FM series only power the light meter which you can shoot without if need be). Lens are fairly cheap as well and if you troll the used photo markets you'll be able to save even more money. From what I have read the FE is better suited to climbing photograghy than the FM due to a difference in the shutters which gives the FE better cold weather performance. I own an FE 2 and have managed to take many great pictures using over the counter (walmart) film, professional slide film (very dramatic but pricey) and black and white film (great for that antiquated bold adventurer look). Keep in mind that you will probably have to pay a little more to fix or clean it up, but it is well worth it and in the long run will make you a better photographer.
In reply to:
It accepts a motor drive as well but that drive is freakin huge if I remember correctly
Also if I remember correctly the FE and FM had a problem with the motor drives draining the batteries.
As far as accessories I would suggest you spend the extra money and get the Nikon brand. You will pay more but in my experience I haven't had much success with with other brands.
One last thing depending on how much this rig will cost you, you might want to consider purchasing the Nikon FM2N (A collectors edition with a fast 45mm lens) or the FM3A (Newest FM series camera). Both of these will perform like the other FE/FM manual cameras, however they have been updated to work with the modern line of Nikon accessories and flashes.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook