RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

12volt_man

Feb 20, 2005, 2:40 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Resole Experiences
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey All

New guy to the forum. Was curious what other climbers expereience has been with resoling. Is it worth it? I've never resoled my shoes mostly because I've blown out the uppers.

Thanks

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 20, 2005, 2:57 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Re: Resole Experiences [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd suggest you check out the gear reviews for resolers.

When I had mine resoled with Yosimite Bum I was wondering how they would turn out. They came back actually better than new. The retained the fit really well so no painful break in period, but in this case, came with higher quality rubber and have lasted much better. I was very pleased with both the service and the quality of the worksmanship.

The real desicion maker is do you like your shoe enough to continue to use it after the resole? If your already faunching at the bit to get a new brand or model, then a resole will only make it last longer. However, if you love the shoes you've got, then why not keep them and just have them resoled?

Resoling them yourself is an option with a resole kit, however many on here had expressed that the hassle and labor outweighted the cost savings. I can't speak from experience, but if your going dirt bag style, there is an article on shoe resoling that is pretty good.

12volt_man

Feb 20, 2005, 3:04 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks. I'll check the articles. Probably should have done a search first. oops. :roll:

hello_heino

Feb 20, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since the seacrh function has proven to be unreliable on so many previous occasions for myself, I will offer my opinion.

I think resoles are great if you get the right person to do them. They are easy to butcher, so like all fine craftsmanship, there are some tricks to doing premier work. I have a pair of high-top shoes that I keep getting resoled and have had the rand replaced three times in ten years. They don't make them anymore, or they aren't available, and I love em so I keep getting em retreaded.

moof

Feb 20, 2005, 3:24 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have funky feet. Getting a resole makes your old friends climb like new, and if done right, feel just like they did. If for no other reason it is a way to avoid the ugly break in cycle.

Rubber room can be slow, but does excellent work. A local does them at my gym and does OK without incurring shipping charges. I haven't gotten resoles anywhere else that's still in business

If your blowing out the rands, then figure $50 bucks a resole. If you have more normal feet that aren't too wonky you can get mad rocks for $70, sales for 80-100, or ebay for god knows what. For me, buying fresh shoes means I have about a 50% hit rate with them stretching too much, not enough, being to wide, or just plain sucking. So if you just need shoes, the resole is marginally cheaper. If you have shoes you love, it's well worth it not to suffer the stretching process over again (I'm painfully stomping around the house in a new pair right now, argh). I generally end up having to re-rand every second resole.

I've also gotten a lot of mileage out of things like the 5.10 store, there I have gotten several pairs for 35 bucks, others for 70 bucks. Best of all, you get to try on stuff you can't find in person elsewhere.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook