Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ryan112ryan

Feb 14, 2005, 2:26 AM
Post #26 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Re: building a rack [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
i'm thinking about building a rack pretty soon, and i cn get #1-8 trango flexcams for about $300 new. is that a good deal in terms of quality for a beginner.

Check out gearexpress.com look at their blowouts section! i am just like you getting into trad, they have metolis power cams, sizes 1-8 (no 6) BLEMS they are a good brand, and they are a good price, i just got mine and i can't find anything cosmetically wrong with them, and they are 100% fine structurally! you'll spend the same amount on these or less!

irockclimbtoo

Feb 14, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #27 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ab

esallen

Feb 14, 2005, 4:13 AM
Post #28 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a set of Trango Flex-cams. The medium and large sizes are great, but the smaller sizes suck; buy something else for your smaller peices.

Eric

Partner csgambill

Feb 14, 2005, 4:32 AM
Post #29 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I climbed FOREVER without cams because I was a young buck from a humble family. Nuts and hexes were it and I made all my own slings etc.

---Made your own slings :shock: from tied webbing? Or did you sew up slings yourself?

Partner hosh

Feb 14, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #30 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I think the replys on the $1000 comment would be a little off topic, considering the guy asked about Trango Flexcams...

I've got the older Flexcams, sizes 4-8. They were the first cams I ever bought. They're pretty sweet, but I'd recomend that you start with Aliens for the small stuff (or TCU's from Metolius) and BD's for the bigger stuff (Size .75 and up) or Power cams from Metolius (size 5 and up). I've never used Friends because I've never been that impressed with them. I'm not knocking them, I just can't endorse them...

My Trangos get a lot of use, but I wish I would have held out and bought Camalots or Power cans instead. And $300 isn't that good of a deal when all's said and done. They're pretty cheap cams, so if price is your main concern, it's worth it. But if you're looking for quality, hold out for something else. And like it's bee nsaid before, buy cams here and there, from different brands. That way, you only get the cams you need/want and don't end up with a bunch of un-used sizes and have to worry about replacing the smaller stuff with Aliens (or TCU's) and the bigger stuff with (insert favorite brand here).

I'm no expert, just a guy who started off buying a set of Trango Flex Cams without looking around a little more first. Great cams, but you can get better...

yekcir

Feb 21, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #31 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are 2 ways I'd go about building the rack... niether involve buying 300 in cheap cams...

1) If you climb with experienced partners (or ones who have already spent the money on a rack), get a set of nuts and hexes... borrow their cams and see what you like.

2) If you're getting out there with others who don't have a rack, get a set of nuts and hexes. Then get really good at cleaning stuck cams. Follow other parties (preferrably rich, slow ones) up easy climbs. You'll get really good with passive gear in a comfortable setting, although you may not get your technical jollies, a couple of (practically new) .75 camalots gives another kind of sinister satisfaction... definitely worth a few pitches of 5.4.

dino

Feb 21, 2005, 8:46 PM
Post #32 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like what hosh says about the topic. I have two sets of Metolius and they are great-especially the smaller sizes. But the larger sizes in the BDs; 2, 3, 4, 4.5, 5 are beautiful. In addition to the Metolius I have a 3 and 4.5 in the BD and I use them a lot. My climbing partner has BDs so I get to use them frequently. I used some Trangos on a few occasions and the double sling was a pain for me.

golsen

Mar 3, 2005, 11:44 PM
Post #33 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense but I sense some flawed logic here. If starting to build a rack (ie: new trad climber) buying some passive pro may get you in cheaper and you will sure learn a lot more. A set of stoppers is a lot more indispensible than a set of cams. Buy webbing and tie your first runners, they work the same and are more versatile. Without biners, you may as well not have anything. there is a lot of stuff you need....

kpj240789

Mar 4, 2005, 12:45 AM
Post #34 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
f--- building a rack, feanor. What you N :twisted: :twisted: BS should be concerned with is building a sack! Run it out for a while- that way you'll appreciate the cams when you REALLY need them.
Whats up your ass he's asking for help from more experienced climbers, whats wrong with that?

sirdrinksalot

Mar 4, 2005, 1:08 AM
Post #35 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go to gear express. buy twenty wiregate blackdiamond biners($95), five 12inch runners and five 24inch runners($45), a set of stoppers($80), and some hexes size3or4 on up until you run out of funds. believe me dude, gear racks up alot faster than experience, cams will not make you a strong climber.

all_that_is_rock

Mar 4, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #36 of 36 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everyone is different in thier needs and likes. I personally dont like flex cams. I have a WC zero #3, blue-orange aliens with doubles in some, and .75-4.5 camalots (old school not C4). I shoped around before i bought and this was the sizes in each company that worked best for me. Recently I have also been buying the larger aliens to replaice my smaller camalots.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook