Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

clmbnski

Jun 20, 2002, 1:03 AM
Post #126 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

profanity when climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I said rrrahhh!!
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world." Walt Whitman

samshafer

Jun 20, 2002, 4:31 PM
Post #127 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I admit I have a problem w/ swearing. That said, I think it shows more a lack of culture or class than a lack of education.
I'm working on it.
Climbing alone seems to reduce the need for swearing as there's no one to be impressed, as it were, by it.

tigerseye

Jun 20, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #128 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cussing is fun

squirrelgirl

Jun 20, 2002, 11:47 PM
Post #129 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climb, I'm always around kids, parents, etc. So, instead of cursing, I opt for wordless grunting, growling, and yelling. Not only is it more polite but it makes me sound darn tough!
Fact is that I personally don't care either way about the odd curse here and there. You ride my school bus for any length of time and you'll understand how insignificant the occasional d*** or sh** really is. But when people curse excessively it tends to get annoying. Of course, some people just can't stand even stupid words like fart or suck. I suppose you just have to be mindful of your audience.
As for cursing in relation to intellingence, I don't buy that sh** about cursing having all that much to do with brain power. My major argument here would be that your intelligence is based not on what you know, but how quickly and thoroughly you learn it. Basically, just cuz someone curses doesn't mean that they have a small vocabulary. Even if the person does have a small vocabulary, it may be because they were learning something useful instead.
Just thought I'd toss in my $0.02

[ This Message was edited by: squirrelgirl on 2002-06-20 22:59 ]

climbsomething

Jun 21, 2002, 12:01 AM
Post #130 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

torvum, I also make up little profane phrases, my fave being "sh-- balls!" I usually only mutter it to myself though, and it relieves (some) stress. but since the stress is just my own, I keep the exclamation to myself too

but cussing ain't "evil," IMHO

mreardon

Jun 21, 2002, 12:30 AM
Post #131 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure where swearing = lack of education comes into play. I'm an entertainment lawyer and regularly deal with multi-million dollar business transactions and trust me that the language can be rough (try telling a person educated at Harvard worth $100 million that his business deal just fell through and see if his education makes his language better). As for cussing on the rock, if you don't like it, then don't climb anywhere near the crew that I climb with because we definitely have our moments. I'm sorry but the occasional curse word should not be such a problem with people out climbing. After all, you're dealing withe a sport of excess (how many of us are recovering drug addicts, alcoholics, BASE jumpers, general insanity cases?) and language should be the least of your problems. Put your energy into paying attention to your belayer or setting up a proper anchor than worrying about someone screaming the occasional "offensive" word. As for around the kids, I try not to be excessive, but I'm also not going to limit myself with my expressions of relief or frustration. My daughter is 8, has heard all the words, knows she shouldn't say them, and actually corrects me when I do say them. There is no such thing as a bad word, there are just some that shouldn't be used by people of certain ages or in certain contexts. Even she understands that so I'm not sure why adults have such issue with it. Calling someone "stupid" is way more offensive than hollaring "f**k" in frustation.

Lastly, swearing can be a bonding moment. I remember a time in Red Rocks climbing with a couple from Germany who couldn't speak English, and I had no clue how to speak German. So we spent the better part of a morning mumbling and performing charades in order to understand each other when the german woman falls on the third bolt of a particularly hard climb. Without hesitation she screams "f**k". Now that I understood as the universal signature of climbing frustration!

jt512

Jun 21, 2002, 1:04 AM
Post #132 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
how many of us are recovering drug addicts, alcoholics, BASE jumpers, general insanity cases?

I believe psychologists refer to this as "projecting."

-Jay

katywhitman

Jun 21, 2002, 1:26 AM
Post #133 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not feel that swearing is such a greavous sin. I will swear to myself when doing a stressful climb and I tend to yelp or squak (sp?) when I fall. But I do admit it stresses me more to hear someone yelling and swearing excessively long and loud. I do not know about others but relaxation is a key element for me to climb to my potential. If I am worked up I will not think and tend to slip more often.

noal

Jun 21, 2002, 3:12 AM
Post #134 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What your kids see, your kids will do,
If you think it's wrong for them, then it should be wrong for you!

phillycheese

Jun 21, 2002, 8:15 PM
Post #135 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm amazed at the response to this topic. I know this has been mentioned before but there really is a difference in excessive use and accidental use. If i fall, i'm going to yell the first thing that comes to mind. That may be sh*t or shoot. D*nm or dang. My point being that people who don't curse and demand respect and consciencousness of everyone who does, should also show respect for those who choose to use profanity (on a mild level) and not pass judement upon them. In a society of individual ethics and self-centeredness(myself included ) it becomes increasingly difficult to not point the finger at others and look to be courteous. We tend to be self-righteous about the matter and are quick to judge everyone else while thinking we are the absolute truth on the issue. My only advise, stop thinking of yourselves and be courteous on both sides of the fence. One side not going in excess with the foul language and the other to be accepting and non-judgemental of those who slip or choose to use those words.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ( i know it's cheesey but that's why it's in my name)

treyr

Jun 21, 2002, 8:18 PM
Post #136 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah i cuss when i climb if i get a scrape or I fall. I dont yell but it helps me burn some steam

Trob

caveclimber

Jun 21, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #137 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone who has climbed and fell has said a few bad words. I think it is the company that is around you at the time. You know not to swear in church and around small children right. If I go for a big dyno and miss it and know I should of had it I will probably let out a few choice words.

fingerjam

Jun 25, 2002, 4:08 PM
Post #138 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When i fall, "o F*ck" might slip outta my mouth, and yes, ive gotton crap for that, remeber I too have to deal with the mormons. Your not evil man! Personally i could care less about swearing at the local crag, unless some dude has to put the word F*ck into every sentance, otherwise im cool with it, if i wasnt, that would make me a hipocit whooops, i am

astone

Jun 25, 2002, 5:00 PM
Post #139 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those you yell and cuss while climbing are jocks.

I could care less about cussing, but maybe if you shut up and lay down some technique you will actually send instead of just shouting.

pamola

Jun 25, 2002, 5:02 PM
Post #140 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHHHHH!!!!! SHIZZZNAT!!!

ha ha ha..

Couldn't help myself...

radistrad

Jun 26, 2002, 2:48 PM
Post #141 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed with a few people that curse when the climb, I'm sure I've done it my self.
It is a big turn off to see people cuss at the rock.
But even worse is those who like to hit and kick the rock, they are very inintelligent, the rock wins every time!

climbingmusician

Jun 26, 2002, 3:17 PM
Post #142 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with pianomahnn maybe its a musician thing. There is plenty of things that you could say instead. I do swear but its not very often if i do swear at all. Still I'm sure you could something else to say instead.

erica44

Jun 26, 2002, 3:34 PM
Post #143 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"fudge a monkey" always works for me. don't ask me how I cam up with it, and no it doesn't have any hidden meanings. It is just better than cussing. I still do cuss occasionally but I have no problem with it unless it is excessive.

doosh

Jun 26, 2002, 6:40 PM
Post #144 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find any viewpoint that is different from mine regarding cussing to be offensive.

Even if it is EXACTLY THE SAME as mine.

I demand this f---ing thread be locked immediately.

Especially since that homophobic and beastial "fudge a monkey" comment.

HOW DO YOU THINK AIDS WAS STARTED?

meshuga3

Aug 10, 2002, 11:00 PM
Post #145 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find that a well-timed F**K!!! can take the sting off even the most demoralizing, shoulda-nailed-it redpoint burn. (Matt Samet wrote a great article for climbing about this very subject.) Extra screaming time alloted for wired routes.

climbinganne

Aug 10, 2002, 11:20 PM
Post #146 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

who the f*** brought this out of the f***ing dead-beat pile of sh*t????

i wanna f**ing know right now..so i can kick their f***ing a**es.

climbinganne

Aug 10, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #147 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ps....why wasn't this thread moved to community a very long time ago??????

ecocliffchick

Aug 10, 2002, 11:31 PM
Post #148 of 180 (8844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I usually need to mumble a good F#%K or two before commiting to a move on lead - I try to keep it under my breath though...

jt512

Aug 11, 2002, 5:33 PM
Post #149 of 180 (8899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:Matt Samet wrote a great article...

That's a contradiction.

-Jay

wildtrail

Aug 11, 2002, 6:24 PM
Post #150 of 180 (8899 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, Morons...er...uh...Mormons are mentally deranged. When visiting the lovely state of Utah, I do everything in my power to piss them off. Including drinking in public. Face it, the are f-ed up!

I swear when climbing as well, you are not evil. I'm Sicilian, so you can imagine the potty mouth, and I believe that in certain situations only, you should becareful with what you say. For instance, I watch it around children and I think those that swear in public have no class (like teenagers that say the "F" word constantly in the store because they are so damn cool). Other than that, freedom of speech. Let 'er rip!!!

To hell with the Morons...er...uh...Mormons. As a matter of fact, they are the single solitary reason Utah sucks in my opinion (I absolutely love the state, but I can't stand the stupid Mormons). If I upset somebody, sorry. However, the fact won't change that Mormons are a few sandwiches short of a picnic!

Steve

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook