RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

anica

Feb 22, 2005, 2:22 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

new... with questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there! I'm a climber wanna-be and brand new to rockclimbing.com. I'm a little bit of a scardy-cat when it comes to online forums so i'm not gonna give you a whole ton of information about me. :-) I'm 15 years old and have climbed 5 times at an indoor gym (that's FIVE WHOLE HOURS AWAY) and once outside. (if you can even call it climbing... it was in Garretson SD at Palisades. King Rock- super super easy on the side with rocks like a stair case) I'd really like to get into this sport more because every time i go i love it and have such a blast. I can't find any climbing clubs or groups that take beginners, but i haven't looked terribly hard either, and i think i'll be able to find something. I've checked everywhere and asked everyone- there is NO indoor gym in or around my city. I'm hoping to open one SOMEDAY... someday soon! I asked my daddy to build me a bouldering wall, but we haven't the room. :-) I've just resorted to climbing door ways, doors, rafters, trees, etc. I was caught climbing up the door way once though, and i'm not allowed to do that anymore. :-P

First of all, i have absolutely NO idea how climbing actually works, with all of the ropes and people and stuff that's involved. WHen i climb inside i put a little thing around my waste (think it's called a harness) and i clip another little metal thing onto a loop on the harness and the metal thing is hooked to a rope that goes all the way up 36 ft. I climb to the top and let go.

Mostly, i don't know terms. What is "carabiner"? What is "belay" and "belayer"? How do you pronounce "piton"? "prusick"? What is meant by "lead"? Well, that's all i can think of right now! But trust me-- I will think of many more!

THanks in advance, everyone. I'm so excited!!

Love,
Anica

Partner ctardi

Feb 22, 2005, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Re: new... with questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mostly, i don't know terms. What is "carabiner"? What is "belay" and "belayer"? How do you pronounce "piton"? "prusick"? What is meant by "lead"? Well, that's all i can think of right now! But trust me-- I will think of many more!

A carabiner would be that silver thing you clip onto your harness.

Belay or belaying is what the person on the other end of your rope is doing.

Lead climbing is when you start with the rope on the ground, just hooked to you and your belayer, and you clip it into quickdraws (carabiners on peices of high strengty webbing or strap).

I just know piton starts with a p and ends with an n, never had to say it.

Prussick (s) are a special knot that you can use to climb a rope without using the wall.

rckymntneer

Feb 22, 2005, 2:30 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anica,

I'd start with your public library. There a tons of books out there that will teach you all of the basics, from the types are gear that is available, to the types of climbing (trad or "traditional", sport, bouldering, etc), to proper rope technique, and so forth. But, books can never replace instruction from an experience climber.

Do some reading, then look for a good climber who can "show you the ropes"!! And good luck! Most of all, make sure you are safe and don't get into something beyond what you are prepared for. Climbing is only fun if you can do it more than once!! :lol:

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 22, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #4 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm, noob... http://forums.offtopic.com/...milies/stickpoke.gif

ok all joking aside tho (i love the little pokey guy on beginner posts) pick up a copy of How to Rock Climb by John Long. It will cover the basics very well, and give u a good idea of what climbing is.

as far as a climbing gym, heres a list of commercial gyms in north america: http://climbing.com/classifieds/rockgyms/

there should be a gym relatively close to you (not more then an hour id say) and unless u live somewhere really flat there must be some local crag or chosspile you could go to. if u find a gym, take some lessons and learn the basics, then try to find an experienced climber who can take u outdoors. good luck, be safe. -ws

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 22, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #5 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post...

Partner gunksgoer

Feb 22, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #6 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hmm, noob... http://forums.offtopic.com/...milies/stickpoke.gif

ok all joking aside tho (i love the little pokey guy on beginner posts) pick up a copy of How to Rock Climb by John Long. It will cover the basics very well, and give u a good idea of what climbing is.

as far as a climbing gym, heres a list of commercial gyms in north america: http://climbing.com/classifieds/rockgyms/

there should be a gym relatively close to you (not more then an hour id say) and unless u live somewhere really flat there must be some local crag or chosspile you could go to. if u find a gym, take some lessons and learn the basics, then try to find an experienced climber who can take u outdoors. good luck, be safe. -ws

andrewbanandrew

Feb 22, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

-Learn to drive (if you haven't already) and get a driver's license.

AND

-Find someone older who will take you climbing whom your parents have talked to and preferably trust.

I would say at your age might be very difficult to climb often, but as long as you are climbing as often as you can, you will be okay. I know my friend's parents were very supportive of his passion for climbing and drove him to the mountains all the time, but I do not know if your parents feel the same way.

In fact, it might be a good thing that you don't climb too often, because then there's no way you could get tendon or ligament injuries. The same friend of mine has been climbing for a very long time, and he started slow at first and has never had any problems with his tendons, whereas I started much later but climbed very often and ended up stressing the tendons in one of my fingers.

At any rate, I think the most important thing right now would be to find an experienced climber that you and your parents trust.

mcumbrae

Feb 22, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to RC.com and to the world of climbing.
For most of us the journey starts at a gym, i´m finding hard to believe you have to travel 5 hours to get in one :shock:
I hope you find a closer one and stick to it... it´s a helluva ride.
I´m a noob myself, been climbing for little more than a year and reading has helped me a lot. There used to be a glossary section here that was very helpful, but i cannot seem to find it now...
Maybe you could try this one http://www.chockstone.org/dictionary.htm

However, most of the real deal comes with practice... strenght, technique and knowledge about equipment cannot be gained by reading.
Good luck :wink:

esallen

Feb 22, 2005, 4:58 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeton

g
Deleted

Feb 22, 2005, 5:26 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to assume you live in Sioux Falls. I would think that there would be a gym in SF, check the local colleges (even not so local, USD, SDSU). I went to USD for a semester and I don't remember one there, but things change and it would be alot less than a five hour drive to REI or whatever. You have outdoor climbing in Garretson (I didn't even know about that place but I'm going to have to stop some time just to see what those poor folks in East River do), and some on the west side of MN. You can also drive (maybe not on your permit) to the Black Hills, where there is a ton of climbing.

There are probly some climbers on the site here who are in your area and could help you out.

anica

Feb 22, 2005, 7:29 PM
Post #11 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, everybody! This is all great!

Anica

overlord

Feb 22, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #12 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chek out the all-knowing glossary of terms. :wink: :P

you can thank me later :wink:

horribulas

Feb 23, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to a private school get them to build you a climbing gym in the school, means you can climb everyday (thats what i did, were 75% completed building it, and it's almost as good as my local gym), If you go to a public school, try getting a bunch of poeple together who would like to try climbing and a teacher and get a climbing company to do a course for you and your friends, not only is it a great learning experiance for people who want to continue climbing (learn to set up TR etc. ) but it will be tons of fun. THen if alot of people are interested try to get the school to help build a climbing gym in an empty classroom or something. If you get lots of poeple interested, that means you will definitely have a partner to climb with, and money isn't as big as an issue... If NONE of this works, there is always the method of making the biggest tree in your yard into a climbing gym (add random boards/blocks to the branches, and then have fun).

crag_shwagger

Feb 23, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #14 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anica, Im 16 and know what its like to be a new to this sprot and it can be kinda overwhelming at first...i first started climbing when i was 11 and it scared the poo out of me but i didnt give up and it was the best decision i ever made

i would to recomend you start at the library, lots of books on the sport also check out your local rei or alpine shop or whatever you have up there that would sell climbing gear. ask sales people what the things are and what they do. if they are friandly and not a disgrace to the sport they will most likely help you out. dont give up and always climb harder!

bilias

Feb 23, 2005, 3:55 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, you could also check out [/url=http://www.minnesotaclimbing.com]Minnesota's Climbing Website. There are plenty of posts about people gathering at the Blue Mounds State Park which is only a little further east of Palisades. If you bought yourself a harness (http://www.gearexpress.com) I'm sure someone would let you tie in and do some climbing.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook