RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

akicebum

Mar 1, 2005, 10:04 PM
Post #1 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Moab???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I have heard nothing but good things about the climbing around moab. Indian Creek are you kidding me, I would never need to leave. Anyway, I have heard nothing about the town, whats it like there, are people pretty clibmer friendly. I am looking to move to a climbing town, and Moab looks pretty sick, any thoughts on the place?

maculated

Mar 1, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #2 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moab??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh. Litmus test. Walk into the grocery store and look at the people there. If you like what you see, you're in.

Mammoth, btw, has lots of athletic, handsome guys in their 20s in Vons.

grayhghost

Mar 1, 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #3 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are part of a niche industry then it would be out,
but if you are willing to swing a hammer or work in fast-food
for a living then it is paradise. The people are nice but it is
a small, western town. Do not expect a Boulder, CO, latte-
drinking, BMW-driving, NorthFace-coat-wearing atmosphere.
Oh yeah, don't move to Moab; I need the home prices to stay
low.

slobmonster

Mar 1, 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #4 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go read some Ed Abbey, to get a sense of what Moab might have been like for the generation that came before us.

Take a trip, go visit. Moab is a weird creepy wonderful tweaky little town, growing larger by the minute. You will encounter some climbers, mountain bikers, greasmonkey jeep-heads, and loads upon loads of European tourists.

"Climber friendly?" Sure. Many businesses cater to climbers and our "culture" (if you will), and it's not hard to pick out the wheat from the chaff. If you own a 4WD vehicle, your access to climbing routes will be that much easier. If you have some savings you might even be able to afford living there.

Cheers, tell me what you find, and be sure to have a soft couch for guests.

jcinco

Mar 1, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #5 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Moab is pretty weak as far as towns go. That said, you'd be hard pressed to find a more physically beautiful place on the planet. In other words, people don't live there for the town.

pawilkes

Mar 1, 2005, 10:45 PM
Post #6 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i spent a few days in moab last summer and ended up meeting a local and spending a few days with her just hanging out and checking out some of the local things to do. i think there is a certain amount of community down there but also lots of idiots with huge 4x4s. the town is kind of split between hippy tree hugging bikers/climbers and environmentally ignorant jeepsters. both bring in alot of people and money to the town.

ambler

Mar 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #7 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go read some Ed Abbey, to get a sense of what Moab might have been like for the generation that came before us.
Not from Edward Abbey, but the impressions of a climber who drove through Moab for the towers in '71:

"Moab's night life back then seemed to happen at the A&W, where local teens cruised through the parking lot in a scene from American Graffiti. Outside of town, night skies were dark and starry. Beyond the end of an unpaved road and a technical approach..."

philfell

Mar 1, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #8 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Small town livin'! Remeber that it gets really, really hot in the middle of summer. But spring and fall are great, I was there yesterday and the weather was perfect for climbing.

crackmd

Mar 1, 2005, 11:36 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a career choice that requires me to live in a large population center. I love my job but always in the back of my mind is the "what if" I had taken a different path that allowed me to end up in Moab. Pretty soon though, I will have ample time and money to travel to and enjoy the Wingate sandstone as I please.

akicebum

Mar 2, 2005, 1:15 AM
Post #10 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice maculated I am a single 20 something guy. So Mammoth can pretty much be nicked from the list :) . As for Indian Creek, yeah, I was worried about work there, I am a firefighter and jobs are pretty competitve, but if they got a department I could pound nails until I get in. And I come from a small town and big towns freak me out. The biggest town I have ever lived in was Helsinki. I was just worried about moving to the SW. Crazy religous people freak me out as well, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up in a town full of witnesses. Thanks for responses.

pipsqueekspire

Mar 2, 2005, 4:56 AM
Post #11 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I lived in Moab for a month in our van biking and climbing. You could spend year climbing every day and never get to it all. Swell, Towers, Indian Creek (cool new guidebook out BTW) Biking, colorado national monument, Fisher Towers, biking, rafting, biking, skiing isnt too far, Ouray is 4 hours, and some biking Did I mention the cool biking? You name it!!! I would love to live there but keep in mind it is Utah and if you like a nice red wine you better figure out how to get your friends from out of state to ship it to you! And never never run out of beer on a Sunday! On the plus side it have some great steaks cheap!

One cool fact- if you ask a girl for her number she only gives you 4 digits- if you ask for her WHOLE number she gives you three more... if you ask for her area code she says "Area Code?? " It's that small.

Whatever you do plan to be OUT OF TOWN for jeep week. The town goes from about 4000 people to over 20,000!!! it is INSANE!!!!

-pip

angelaa

Mar 4, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:D ooohhh Moab ahhhh Moab

just saying Moab relaxes me . . . . nothing like Moab! :D

Partner angry

Mar 4, 2005, 3:27 PM
Post #13 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Indian Creek are you kidding me, I would never need to leave.

You might not want to leave, but after a week, your hands, your shoulders, your knees, your sunburn, the chapped lips, the sand in uranus. You'll NEED to leave.

fortfun

Mar 4, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #14 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the advice maculated I am a single 20 something guy. So Mammoth can pretty much be nicked from the list :) . As for Indian Creek, yeah, I was worried about work there, I am a firefighter and jobs are pretty competitve, but if they got a department I could pound nails until I get in. And I come from a small town and big towns freak me out. The biggest town I have ever lived in was Helsinki. I was just worried about moving to the SW. Crazy religous people freak me out as well, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up in a town full of witnesses. Thanks for responses.

Moab does not feel the same as the rest of the state. There are some wierd laws to get used to when coming from other states (drinking), but the biggest problem will be finding work to live there and it is ungodly hot in the summer.

mjverb

Mar 4, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #15 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be there in about three days. I'm a noob with limited trad experience. Partner leads 5.8-5.9. Can anybody suggest some areas or routes with easier stuff (for me 5.6-.5.8). Any info much appreciated.

angelaa

Mar 4, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #16 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Potash Road
- 30 seconds over potash 5.8
- snake slab 5.7 (?)
&
Ice Cream Parlor

check out

http://www.climbingmoab.com

forkliftdaddy

Mar 4, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mjverb, North Chiminey of Castle Tower might be a fun option after you get aquainted with the rock. Watch out for loose rock and the wind once you are exposed (up top and on rappel). All kinds of things can go wrong. I thought I was going to spend the night on it a few years back.... Oh, and Binou's Crack in Indian Creek is a lot of fun at 5.8. That place is so beautiful.

And don't leave without trying the green eggs and ham.

verticalclimb

Mar 4, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #18 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went down there last summer, had a great time with a climbing guide. i asked how he liked living there and he basically says the town "shuts" down for winter. Many of the climbing community migrate to ski resorts to ski for the winter and come back in spring for climbing again. He says he stayed one winter and almost starved to death because there was so little work available.
As for the small town feel, this town doesn't haven't it. Small towns have their own little community, but Moab is a migratory town. The people do not bond together much. My wife grew up in Vernal, a smaller town couple of hours north-east of there and she thought it felt completely different.
Hope that helps a bit. Good luck in whatever you choose.

dharmacase

Mar 4, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #19 of 19 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone in Moab that climbs want to be really nice and give
me a ride to the fishers from moab, I would be there on the
26th of this month? My car is non existant and I am taking a
bus from Green River. those whom accept will be showered
with beer.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?