RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

sugarush

Jun 22, 2002, 4:04 AM
Post #1 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey!
Sorry I wasn't more specific on what I needed tips on... haha you can probably really tell I have no idea what I'm doing... All I know is I'm going with a really great guy to a really big rock, and I'm just gonna cling to it for dear life! Lol Thanks for posting packing lists and some advice on rock climbing.. that basic advice really helped me out a lot! Some things I had questions about was how to pack.. now that I know what to bring, I need to know how to pack it... like so its comfortable for me to wear as I'm climbing... Do I use a back pack or what? Also is it ok to climb in Tennies, or do I need Hiking Shoes? Do I wear Pants so I wont scratch up my legs, or do I wear Shorts so its easier to climb? T-Shirt or long sleeve? And what do I need to know about rock climbing from the very beginning? Like some basics.. Thanks!

Partner pianomahnn

Jun 22, 2002, 4:09 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A nice conversation piece with this guy; ask him what you asked us.

climbchick

Jun 22, 2002, 4:13 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have a look at some of the articles on this site: you can find them by clicking the "Articles" link in the black navigation bar at the top of the page. Here's a link to one to get you started:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/articles/index.php?ID=3

Other than that, Pianomahn's advice is very good I'm sure the guy you're going with isn't going to just stand back and watch you try to climb up a rock in hiking boots.

sugarush

Jun 22, 2002, 7:03 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, what I asked you guys would be a great conversation starter, but honestly... I'm too embarrassed to ask him.. i feel really stupid not knowing the basics, so somebody please fill me in here.

pushfurther

Jun 22, 2002, 7:39 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you've never climbed, don't feel stupid about asking the basics..

krustyklimber

Jun 22, 2002, 7:53 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be honest with him, and give him the opportunity to teach you. You'll learn a lot about your chances for a relationship by seeing how well he can teach you and how he deals with your honesty.

He'll see right you if we try to teach online, and you'll only end up looking silly. I know I would totally understand if you came to me and said "I don't know anything about this will you help me?" in fact I would (if I were lucky enough to be him) be glad that you came to me instead of showing up with the wrong stuff "because that's what some Krusty guy online said I needed".
I mean we don't even know where you are going or if you are in the desert or Alaska, so there's no way for me to really help you the way he can.

Give him a chance to prove what a great guy he is! I have a good feeling about this!

Tell us how it turns out now I'm curious, We'll have our own little soap opera!

Best wishes

Jeff

sugarush

Jun 23, 2002, 6:23 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! Thanks for all the guy advice. I'll be sure to keep you all updated. Could you all at least tell me if I'm supposed to wear shorts or pants, tshirt or long sleeve and tennies or hiking shoes??? Ahh I know nothing! Hehe. Thanks!

krustyklimber

Jun 23, 2002, 6:52 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We still don't know where you are.

I would say to wear a pair of shorts under a pair of sweatpants and bring a lightweight longsleeve shirt (to keep the sun from burning you)

Jeff

sugarush

Jun 23, 2002, 1:48 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!
Sorry I forgot to say where I was in my last reply. I am in Colorado. The weather report said that it's going to be in the 90s, so should I still bring those sweat pants? And I've heard different things about the shirt... should it be loose or a tight one? Thanks!

kevlar

Jun 23, 2002, 9:25 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well where do i begin...being male an all...

the shirt should be tight and the shorts should be short...lol...but joking aside

dress to be comfortable...I am sure you will be doing an easy route or two...and warm weather allows shorts and t-shirt,,,lots of sunscreen,chap-stick, water-water-water, aspirn,toilet-paper,tissue,sunglasses with strap to keep them attached, small snack..or fruit,pants an jacket left behind in car if weather changes and this will allow you to adjust to enjoy the climb...

I feel if you bring the rain gear it will not rain...if you leave it behind it will storm...you choose.

Happy climbing...and don,t forget to ask how long the rope is? I am sure your friend will tell you all about it.

bmgard

Jun 23, 2002, 11:34 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Where in Colorado ae you. What area you going to. Shorts should be fine but it is always good policy to plan for emergencies and the unexpected.

sugarush

Jun 25, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1694 views)
Shortcut

help2 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey!
Thanks for all the help on what to wear and what to pack. I went rock climbing on Sunday. I didn't do to well. Hehe... I couldn't get to the top, but I tried and I had a great time! I enjoyed repelling the most. I live in Castle Rock, Colorado. We went to Castlewood Canyon I think. Thanks again!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook