Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jun 23, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

long ass slacklines
Report this Post
Can't Post

How do I get a superlong line tight nuff so it doesnt hit the gound? i've tryed using a quadruple pully, but doesnt work. I'm tryed everything, even making it 10 feet off the ground. Is there some secrete to tightening one?

-Jeremy

Partner sauron

Jun 23, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

long ass slacklines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pull harder.

I've tightened a 30' line to where it wouldn't touch the ground, when my 200+ lbs of weight stood on it.

And mine was only 5' off the ground.

- d.

clymber

Jun 23, 2002, 11:33 PM
Post #3 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you could try a come along or a winch of some sort.or get someone with a bit more weight behind the pulling side. you should try and call Sauron up to help you

bmgard

Jun 23, 2002, 11:37 PM
Post #4 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make sure your not using anything Dynamic in the system. Even the ancors.

apollodorus

Jun 23, 2002, 11:52 PM
Post #5 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nylon webbing and dynamic rope stretches like crazy (that's the idea . . .)

For non-stretch ropes and webbing, try a boat supply place. Sailboat types hate stretchy ropes. They use non-stretch polyester to hold their masts in place, etc. I don't know if they have webbing. The static ropes at a boat place will be much less stretchy than for static climbing ropes.

beyond_gravity

Jun 24, 2002, 12:04 AM
Post #6 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nylon ised used for sailing because it soaks up water and get's really heavy. You wont find nylon webbing on a sail boat

colin

Jun 24, 2002, 12:40 AM
Post #7 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've seen marine webbing before. It was two inch though. A two inch slackline would be like a balance beam.

krustyklimber

Jun 24, 2002, 12:44 AM
Post #8 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My line is fifty feet long. I use my static rope and an 8:1 to tighten it! It only drops about three feet with my 125lbs in the middle.

Jeff

apollodorus

Jun 24, 2002, 1:05 AM
Post #9 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SEE! Those maritime types hate stretch in their ropes and webbing.

ktwo

Jun 24, 2002, 3:20 AM
Post #10 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went to Wal-Mart and forked over 8 bucks for a strap tightener. They sell them in the automotive, and i think they are used to hold stuff tight in a truck. Depending on how long your line is, you can buy more expensive ones that will pull tighter. The 8 dollar one holds a 50 foot line with me(135 lbs.)about 4 feet off the ground no problem.

stevematthys

Jun 24, 2002, 8:28 AM
Post #11 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me an my buddy were messing around trying to get our line tight, so we had the idea of putting between two cars. we got the line so tight that the bd ovals we had on it, their gates would not open. needless to say we retired that stuff on the spot.

bmgard

Jun 24, 2002, 9:05 AM
Post #12 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We set up one between 2 trees. Set up a 2 to 1 system then hooked that to the car. That thing was as tight as you'd ever need.

krustyklimber

Jun 25, 2002, 5:33 AM
Post #13 of 13 (547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey just because I shop at westmarine.com , have a boat in the driveway, and can smell the salt water from my house doesn't make me a maritme type does it... Yes it does!

Here's a little excerpt from the west marine catalog about ropes and boating:
Running rigging is a term for rope (line) or wire on sail boats... Almost all line used on modern boats is constucted from synthetic fibers: nylon ,polyester, Technora, Spectra , Vectran and polypropylene. Synthetic line has manyadvantages over organic fibers, including rot resistance,strenght and more desirable stretch characteristics...Line used for running rigging must combine strength,flexibliity, low stretch and abrasion resistance. Each rigging application emphasizes certain qualities in the line, which is why there is such a diversity of lines available... For almost all running rigging, less stretch is better, but low stretch is more critical in some applications than in others... For some specilaized applications a line with more "dynamic" properties is desirable...

I hope this helps to clear up what types of rigging one is likely to find on boats or in a boating supply store... but be forewarned these boat guys spend money like there is no tommorow. I priced a line similar to my New England haul line, and it would cost a little under 200 bucks, a lot more than the close to 80 bucks I got mine for! And these guys sell a 300 dollar pulley!

Jeff

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook