RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

elshells

Mar 16, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #1 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Flying with Climbing Gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have some questions for anyone who has ever flown to a climbing destination.

Usually this time ever year my husband and I and friends make our annual spring break road trip/climbing trip. This year we are flying to las Vegas to climb at red rocks then driving to bishop. So my questions are:

1. Is my climbing equipment safe when I check it? I travel alot for work and I see how bag my luggage gets tossed around when I check it, so I am a little worried about rope/caribiners/belay devices etc. Also tent poles.

2. Should I just try to carry that gear as carry on? If so, has anyone been stopped by security for having climbing gear?

3. Can I check our mega large crash pad? Has anyone ever done this?

Any other travel tips... like how not to offend the unfortunate person sitting next to me on the way home...when I stink like sweat and BO... would be appreciated!

Thanks

jerrygarcia

Mar 16, 2005, 5:23 PM
Post #2 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flying with Climbing Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:

1. Is my climbing equipment safe when I check it? I travel alot for work and I see how bag my luggage gets tossed around when I check it, so I am a little worried about rope/caribiners/belay devices etc. Also tent poles.

As safe as the rest of your luggage

2. Should I just try to carry that gear as carry on? If so, has anyone been stopped by security for having climbing gear?
no no and more no. All that stuff is a weapon to them, just check it.

3. Can I check our mega large crash pad? Has anyone ever done this?
not sure on this one, you should be able to but they will charge you im sure.

Any other travel tips... like how not to offend the unfortunate person sitting next to me on the way home...when I stink like sweat and BO... would be appreciated!
TAKE A SHOWER

troutboy

Mar 16, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #3 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
snipped...these have been answered many times before

Thanks

Try wet wipes :wink: Seriously.

TS

ropesologuy

Mar 16, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #4 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

info at rc.com PRICLESS

psalmadventurer

Mar 16, 2005, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, my luggage didnt get lost, thankfully. lol, but it was a concern.

Last time I flew with my climbing gear, i checked most of it.

For carry on, i had my nalgene clipped on to my bag with a biner and they didnt seem to mind--i even got selected for the special "random" security check and no problem.

Have a good trip :-D

chronicle

Mar 16, 2005, 5:53 PM
Post #6 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the gear. It will be fine. If you are worried about tent poles, then you should make sure when you pack your bag that they are secure (not on top and easily bent).

DO NOT TRY TO CARRY YOUR GEAR ON THE PLANE!!! You will be stopped. Everything in your bag is a weapon (previously stated).

You should be able to check your pad. I did mine, and it wasn't a problem. You can check before hand the dimensions and weight limits for you luggage.

Finally, take a shower or buy some deodorant at the airport. There is no excuse for smelling on your way home.

jpdreamer

Mar 16, 2005, 6:07 PM
Post #7 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had an issue with bringing basic gear in a carry on (harness, carabiners, ATC). But anything beyond that I havn't tried. When packing be concious of weight, overweight charges on airlines are hefty. Camping gear can be an issue, particularly fuel bottles and stoves. The airport near glacier comfiscates bear pepper spray too. The airlines beleive you should buy as fuel bottle at your destination and sell it on your return, which is crappy but at least they're cheap. You could probably get away with having them at most airports though.

elshells

Mar 16, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #8 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am just teasing about stinking. I will for sure take a shower...even if it is at the creepy laundromat in bishop.

Has anyone else ever taken a shower there? It is creepy. I think there might be a peep hole in it some where :shock:

elshells

Mar 16, 2005, 6:20 PM
Post #9 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and also thank you for your responses.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Mar 16, 2005, 6:29 PM
Post #10 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1 - went to JT this past NOV - group checked 2 crashpads (one was metrolius other, I don't know what 'brand.')

2 - not true, I carried on some of my gear and told the officer as i approached the scanning booths - he was appreciative and then went to the xray guy and told him - xray guy checked and then asked his helper to check out the gear to familiarize herself - she was really intrigued w/ the gri-gri and asked about the various pieces. That said, the three of them wished me a safe trip and loads fun. Moral, just tell them ahead of time.

3 - unless you purchase a FAA lock, you cannot lock your rack up... so bring it on board if possible...

blk

troutboy

Mar 16, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #11 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Has anyone else ever taken a shower there? It is creepy. I think there might be a peep hole in it some where :shock:

1)Yes and 2) I would not be surprised.

Is there a choice other than the weird laundry or using the hot springs to rinse off (bad etiquette) ?

TS

mountainfreak

Mar 16, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #12 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just flew from Georgia to St george with all my climbing gear and last year I flew to vegas. Anyway we always pack our daypacks with all of our racks and metal gear and bring it onto the plane. This has never been a problem for us. The only thing that I do not keep in there is my hammer. Everything else we have never had a problem carrying it onto the plane. We do this because of weight issues with are bags that we check. Be careful with overweight bags because it almost cost me an extra $80. You are allowed two 50 pound bags. Good luck and have Fun! Wes

elshells

Mar 16, 2005, 7:42 PM
Post #13 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

1)Yes and 2) I would not be surprised.

Is there a choice other than the weird laundry or using the hot springs to rinse off (bad etiquette) ?

TS

I once met Katie Brown at a climbing event and she had the same experience in the laundrymat shower....she thought she was being watched also.

All I notice was that there was a man working the place and when I took a shower he disappeared the whole time, then came back and when my friend Anne got in the shower he disappeared again. When my husband got in the shower he just hung around in the laundromat.

Partner zara

Mar 16, 2005, 8:12 PM
Post #14 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I went to london to visit a friend not too long ago I brought along all my gear that I would use in a climbing gym (belay device, biners, etc) They didnt even say a word so I dont think it should be a problem. Just be careful with your cleaning tool, if it has a knife on it or something like that they may consider it a weapon. Other than that you should be ok.

markc

Mar 16, 2005, 8:13 PM
Post #15 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently flew to Vegas from Pittsburgh (with a connecting flight in Arizona). We didn't have a problem checking any of our gear. For most airlines, you can view the baggage requirements on-line. Our carry-on limit was 40#, and the two checked bags could be 50# each, with max. dimensions totaling 60". We had no trouble making weight between three checked bags (climbing gear in two, and clothes in a third), but we did have a problem on the way out with distribution. As far as the pad goes, measure it and consult the airline to be sure.

I've heard of people zipping through screening with gear in carry-on, and people that have had problems. I decided to carefully pack my gear in checked baggage. I padded my rack and slings with towels, and packed them in a bullet pack in the middle of my pack. I also removed my waist belt and padded my harness and other gear with it. Shoes went in the very top and bottom with the soles out. Everything made it there and back without damage, and none of our bags were obviously searched.

markc

Mar 16, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #16 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By the way, we had kids in back of us on both of the longer legs of our trip. On the way out, I swear one of the kids took a dump with over an hour left in the flight. The parents didn't feel the need to change him. On the way home, one little bugger decided to see how often he could kick the back of my seat. I would have welcomed BO in a heartbeat over that.

My only consolation was the kid in first class that cried the whole time...

Partner phylp

Mar 17, 2005, 3:45 AM
Post #17 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gym that is on one of the side streets in "downtown" Bishop has much nicer showers. I don't remember them costing more (?). I'm too lazy to walk upstairs and look for the name and location - it's in the Gorge Guidebook.

I've flown with my whole rack, pack, rope, chalk, helmet etc. in checked baggage on a number of occasions and the only problem I ever had was, one time, the bag missed the connecting flight. So that trip was screwed.

reno

Mar 17, 2005, 4:18 AM
Post #18 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got home yesterday from a trip to Colorado for some ice climbing.

I checked my pack with all my gear, and had no problems at all. Carried on a duffel with clothing.

Check your bags. It's simply the best option.

jt512

Mar 17, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #19 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I carried a full rack on an airplane (sans nut tool) post-9/11 once. They let my pack through X-ray without a word. After passing through the metal detector and retreiving the pack, I said to the X-ray guy, "I'm surprised you didn't want me to open that up for you." He replied, "Why? It's climbing gear."

-Jay

eride810

Mar 17, 2005, 5:54 AM
Post #20 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On my way back from Zion last week (w/ mountainfreak), I carried every bit of metal, sans nut cleaner, that I could fit in my carry-on. This was to alleviate the weight of my checked bags. Like Wes said, it was no problem, cams nuts and even a rope. The x-ray screener's only issue was that my gear was so bunched together that it created a "blind spot"--too much metal and he couldn't see through. He took the bag, turned it on a different side, and ran it through again, this time no problem. I guess it doesn't matter what airline you're flying as far as airport security screening is concerned, I think it is really dependant upon the screener, and whether or not they are familiar to any degree with the gear. The St. George, UT staff has probably seen this stuff before, maybe not the fellow at East Coast Int'l Airport. Who knows? Maybe we just keep getting lucky, but its worked so far...
Good Luck!
EP

bmxer

Mar 17, 2005, 7:15 AM
Post #21 of 21 (10258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be flying w/ my climbing gear, and I been considering taking it as carryon. I just bought brand new rope and I would'nt want to lose it. Hopefully it doesn't cause problems. If anything could be considered a weapon out of shoes, harness, carabiners, rope. It would probably be carabiners for swinging or throwing, and rope for choking. But seriously, it's climbing gear.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook