iltripp

Mar 18, 2005, 3:01 AM
Post #1 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

What the bleep?
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just saw "What the bleep do we know?"

I thought it was visually stunning in the artistic sense.

Intellectually speaking, it was a stimulating movie that had some fascinating discussions of both science and spirituality. It definitely brought up some intriguing ideas.

Has anyone else seen it? Any thoughts or reactions?

iltripp

Mar 18, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Re: What the bleep? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no one? hmm... i was hoping for some comments.

I highyl recommend that people check out the movie.

http://www.whatthebleep.com

slavetogravity

Mar 18, 2005, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best documentary I've ever seen. I've seen it twice in theatres. The one thing that I thought was profound in the movie, was the argument that all that we take for granted to be true to today will, in the future, be proven to be false. And that history has proven this to always be the case. Consider that in the past that, not only was the earth known to be flat, it was also the center of the universe. This was an accepted scientific fact and all other thought to the contrary was not only met with criticism but it was considered a sin before god to think otherwise. Today our culture has comes to grips with the fact that the earth is round and not the centre of the universe. So if we're able to come to these conclusions I can only imagine what future generations will know to be true.

Also when it comes to God, and man kinds perception of God, I found it refreshing that someone could present an argument for what God is. For a person to claim that they understand the will of God or to think that you could sin against God is ridiculous. To claim that you can understand the will of something that is buy its very definition beyond our comprehension is about as ridiculous as claiming that you've explained your will to the potted plant in your kitchen window.

I found it amazing that biologists have found a measurable visual proof to what Buddhist have know for thousands of years. Desire is the root of all suffering. Budda came up with that one a long time ago, and know science can show that to be true. Enzymes created in our brain reacting with the cells in our bodies to feed our emotional desires, and how our body can become addicted to these enzymes over time. Definitely brings new light to peoples life choices. "Ever been an abusive relationship and leave it only to end up in another abusive relationship?"

Anyway. Great movie. I'd recommend everyone to see it.

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 18, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Intellectually speaking, it was a stimulating movie that had some fascinating discussions of both science and spirituality. It definitely brought up some intriguing ideas.

every single person i know who has studied physics except myself does not like this movie... and i think i like it just b/c i appreciate it for what it's trying to do i guess... i really didnt' think it was that great though. kind of unique but they had most of the commentary from the two nuttiest people on the panel... most had amazing credentials though and were impressive.... but the movie wasn't really that good

jt512

Mar 19, 2005, 12:11 AM
Post #5 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Typical pseudoscience. New Age nonsense masquerading as sicence. Two fo the worst hours I've ever spent in my life.

-Jay

fracture

Mar 19, 2005, 1:24 AM
Post #6 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Best documentary I've ever seen.

I've not seen it, but it's been recommended to me by several people whose taste in philosophy is such that I know I shouldn't bother... (And Jay's comment to this thread has reinforced my desire not to waste my time on it).

However, I couldn't resist responding to some of the following:

In reply to:
The one thing that I thought was profound in the movie, was the argument that all that we take for granted to be true to today will, in the future, be proven to be false. And that history has proven this to always be the case.

It is logically impossible for this proposition to "always be the case", and for us to know it. If that were the case, it would require that it itself be proven false someday---a contradiction.

In reply to:
Also when it comes to God, and man kinds perception of God, I found it refreshing that someone could present an argument for what God is. For a person to claim that they understand the will of God or to think that you could sin against God is ridiculous. To claim that you can understand the will of something that is buy its very definition beyond our comprehension ....

Many people (going back to Plato) have thought they've had an "argument" for God's existence---I don't see why you'd find it "refreshing".

Not all religions agree that God (or Gods) are "beyond our comprehension". And there is no coherent or objective definition of "God" available---the concept (if you can call it that) is non-scientific (duh), and is only philisophically interesting from a historical perspective.

In reply to:
I found it amazing that biologists have found a measurable visual proof to what Buddhist have know for thousands of years.

Does Buddhist knowledge eventually get proven false also? Or is it special because psuedo-Buddhism is trendy among New Agey people, today?

;)

Partner one900johnnyk

Mar 19, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #7 of 7 (233 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Typical pseudoscience. New Age nonsense masquerading as sicence. Two fo the worst hours I've ever spent in my life.

-Jay

haha.. not ENTIRELY.. at first it was pretty good, really they were just starting to hit on points from Planck's "the philosophy of phyiscs" without specifically naming the phenomena and paradoxes brought to the fore by the Quantum Revolution... i'd say it was about two of the worst half hours i've ever spent in my life.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook