RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

shear

Mar 22, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Sunbowl - Sunderland, MA?!?!?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone know the beta on finding this place.............?

tried going today...but to no avail. heard its pretty decent...its 5 min away from me...so its good to go for an afternoon after class.

any help would be awesome.

thanks. 8^)

sublimeclimb

Mar 22, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sunbowl - Sunderland, MA?!?!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! I used to live in Squire Village, right across the street from Sunbowl. Went there a couple times, though the hike is prolly nicer than the climbing. watch out for spiders :shock:
Let me dig into my shoddy memory and see what I find... OK. So you take a right onto that road just after seven-o's and walk until it ends at a couple houses (? i think it ends). Walk along the dirt road on your left. You will reach a couple small parking areas (really nothing more than some open space for a couple of cars). I believe the dirt road comes to a T, going left brings you to a water tower and going right should take you to the trail to Sunbowl. After a short bit (0.1 mi?) you will see a trail on your left, which you take to get to the sunbowl. You prolly hike along this about 10 minutes. The crag is covered in trees and should be to your left.
And if these directions get you to Sunbowl then I will be absolutely astonished that my memory hasn't failed me! Good luck, and if you follow these directions lemme know how they were.
-Lee

danbensen

Mar 22, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know anything about it, but if you're looking for another place to climb after class, it's only about 10 min or so more to get to Mormon Hollow, which I highly reccomend

shear

Mar 23, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey! I used to live in Squire Village, right across the street from Sunbowl. Went there a couple times, though the hike is prolly nicer than the climbing. watch out for spiders :shock:
Let me dig into my shoddy memory and see what I find... OK. So you take a right onto that road just after seven-o's and walk until it ends at a couple houses (? i think it ends). Walk along the dirt road on your left. You will reach a couple small parking areas (really nothing more than some open space for a couple of cars). I believe the dirt road comes to a T, going left brings you to a water tower and going right should take you to the trail to Sunbowl. After a short bit (0.1 mi?) you will see a trail on your left, which you take to get to the sunbowl. You prolly hike along this about 10 minutes. The crag is covered in trees and should be to your left.
And if these directions get you to Sunbowl then I will be absolutely astonished that my memory hasn't failed me! Good luck, and if you follow these directions lemme know how they were.
-Lee

ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

at that fork...i went to the water tower and then we walked along the cliff edge forEVER... :x

ill definitely give it a go this week. anyone know if Rose Ledges is dry yet?

and Mormon Hollow.........hmm......any directions on how to get there? what type of climbing is it?

olderic

Mar 23, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Al Rubin (area guru) says:

hi eric or whomever is asking this question---if they live 5 minutes from the
sunbowl they live near me and should contact me at Byastream@aol.com or XXXXXXXXXXX and i can take them there. anyway for
directions as best i can give them: from Amherst take route 116 west into sunderland.
pass bub's bar-b-que, then then intersection with bull hill rd. on the right,
then the 7 Os bar also on the right. shortly past this turn right on clark
mountain rd.--there is a self-storage facility on the right(this road is just
before the cliffside apartments). given the current snowcover park on the right
after taking the turn and walk up the hill a short way to a few houses, then
continue up a snow-covered dirt road that passes just right of the leftmost
house(pretty obvious when you get there). The road climbs fairly steeply. when it
levels out turn 90 degrees right and continue in that direction about 50
yards.the snowmobile tracks will then vere right, but there should be an obvious
path forking left, follow this--quite obvious in the snow. after a few
minutes(and right after stepping over 2 logs), the trail will head left and more
steeply uphill, when it levels out a bit contine left about a minute and the cliff
will be obvious up and to the right. you can access the top from either the
left or the right--but it is a bit treacherous--esp in the snow so be very
careful--i often tie in to get down to thread the--fixed--anchors. i hope this
works. alan rubin

kermitzclimber

Mar 23, 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More snow is coming.. should making any climbing crappy. :x

ss512climber

Mar 23, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahhh yes the sun bowl, should be dry mostly. I can only find it when I actully go there and see all the land marks. but its ok for the spring if you climb there more than 5 times you get bored.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook