Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

nrvna963

Mar 23, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #26 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Re: anchoring around a tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

you do have a point

jt512

Mar 23, 2005, 9:16 PM
Post #27 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
you do have a point

What, that his own post is a waste of time?

-Jay

caughtinside

Mar 23, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #28 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u shud go out and by a book that will sho u nots and ancors. ur friend sounds like he nos what he is doing. Listen to him until u kno what u r doing on the rock. Then u will be a climber and can take others 2 lern. Remember!!!!11 Climbing can b dangerous, dubble chek ur not and kno how 2 belle.

jt512

Mar 23, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #29 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
u shud go out and by a book that will sho u nots and ancors. ur friend sounds like he nos what he is doing. Listen to him until u kno what u r doing on the rock. Then u will be a climber and can take others 2 lern. Remember!!!!11 Climbing can b dangerous, dubble chek ur not and kno how 2 belle.

You misspelled "blay."

-Jay

mccarthykm

Mar 23, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #30 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is the tree solid - check
is the webbing solid - check
is the knot solid - check
are you unsure of what your doing - check
should you seek better advice than an internet forum - check

caughtinside

Mar 23, 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #31 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You misspelled "blay."

-Jay

Jy,

I dont rite gud, and I dont red gud. My friend Derk Zoolundr thoh is teeching me 2 red and rite gud, and do othur stuf gud 2. But we r all climbrs, rite?

Climb safe!

ardilla

Mar 23, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #32 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crimpaandgo

I agree 100% that people should be responsible for their own actions and they should reference other resources to further their education. The fact of the matter is rocker14 came to this site for answers and if the answers he's provided aren't correct, it's up to the users of this site to provide him with the right answers. If rocker14 were qualified to make that decision, he wouldn't have asked this question in the first place.

crimpandgo

Mar 23, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #33 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
you do have a point

What, that his own post is a waste of time?

-Jay

J.T.
You certainly are qualified to point out posts that are a waste of time... You have perfected the trade .....

ardilla,
Your point is well taken. Incorrect information needs to be clarified :) I was referring to the comments like "you obviously are a nOOb and you shouldn't climb because you'll......" Anyway, you get the point.

kaczoron

Mar 23, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #34 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
First off, make sure he uses webbing around the tree, not cordellette.

There is nothing wrong with using cord to anchor to a tree.

Cord is safe, but webbing is kinder to the tree.

Nick.

timsesink

Mar 23, 2005, 11:18 PM
Post #35 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey
Well I agree with the rest of the guys that on this site we need to be more serious about posting due to the nature of our sport there is a time when we're all starting out,but DON"T TAKE ADVICE HERE AND RELY ON THAT ALONE as many of us are experienced and just don' say everything because we feel that everybody knows. Now for the anchor if you have a freind that's experienced I would take him along, there are also quite a few ground principals which you need to learn and understand intrinsically, I don't want to write a book so go out and buy "Freedom of the Hills." Its a great book and has diagrams and explainations about everything you'll ever need to know. As for the anchor the previous posters pretty much covered it but the 4 things that makes me happy is to see a wrap 3 pull 2, a water knot, 2 biners and a stout tree or two (pref two). Buy the Book best 30$ I spent.
out
Tim

bilias

Mar 24, 2005, 12:04 AM
Post #36 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What ive heard:
First make sure the tree is strong enough, >3". Make sure it is alive.

-Rocktat_co-

You think a 3" tree is strong enough for an anchor? I might use this as a piece of pro on lead, but for a tr I would have a hard time trusting that. Maybe if you were going to incorporate into your anchor with other pieces, but I don't think thats what he was going to do to setup his anchor.

That's ironic since a lead fall is going to generate a much greater force on that 3" diameter tree if it's fallen onto.

scotchie

Mar 24, 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #37 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, I don't see how you could possibly learn to build a bomber anchor off a web site. Or a book for that matter. Books are great references, but no substitute for having someone with experience teach you.

It's kinda like learning to drive from a book. You could get the gist of it, but it takes practice, and it helps to have someone who can warn you if you're about to do something stupid.

Try to find a local climbing club, climbing gym, or guide service that offers anchoring classes. Or find someone who already knows how to build solid anchors and carefully watch what they do.

jt512

Mar 24, 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #38 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for the anchor the previous posters pretty much covered it but the 4 things that makes me happy is to see a wrap 3 pull 2, a water knot, 2 biners and a stout tree or two (pref two).

Does anybody out there understand this?

-Jay

jbell2355

Mar 24, 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #39 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
timsesink wrote:
As for the anchor the previous posters pretty much covered it but the 4 things that makes me happy is to see a wrap 3 pull 2, a water knot, 2 biners and a stout tree or two (pref two).

Does anybody out there understand this?

-Jay

OMG, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. What the hell is he talking about?

timsesink

Mar 24, 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #40 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A wrap 3 pull 2 is the accepted method of anchoring to a tree on SAR teams around the world, what it basically does is isolate the knot from the force so all the force goes to the webbing. And what the heck jbell and jt512, you guys don't immedialty understand so you begin to flame? Maybe if you guys did a little research instead of using the instaflame you would see what I'm talking about! Go back to "Freedom of the Hills" and take a look in the anchor section and then come back and talk to me :x . Anywyas I thought guys of your experience would know a little better and show a little more knowledge and maturity.
out
tim
(is is me or is it getting hot in here? :wink: )

caughtinside

Mar 24, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #41 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Timsensink, I hav herd of the wrap3 pull 2 anchor u describ, and my friend Roddy sez that itz alos nown as the Uropean Death Anchor, and that 2 use it can be dedly. He sed the not will roll and the beener gate will flutter, cauzing ur anchor to fail. :evil: :evil:

mtnlvr

Mar 24, 2005, 2:00 AM
Post #42 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Timsensink, I hav herd of the wrap3 pull 2 anchor u describ, and my friend Roddy sez that itz alos nown as the Uropean Death Anchor, and that 2 use it can be dedly. He sed the not will roll and the beener gate will flutter, cauzing ur anchor to fail. :evil: :evil:
ur fckn kdn rite?!

hou bout dis.......LEAVE THE POOR TREES ALONE COMPLETELY!

That is unless of course there are absolutely no other placements within reach. If you must use a tree as one of your anchor points, use the wrap 3 pull 2 or something similar. Always wrap around the tree more than once to help ease the pressure on the tree. The pull 2 clip with biner method is also good as the biner is allowed to "float" on the webbing if the anchor shifts without dragging the webbing around with it.

Using trees will only hurt climbers in the long run by causing more eco damage and getting us kicked out of more climbing areas.

In reply to:
You think a 3" tree is strong enough for an anchor? I might use this as a piece of pro on lead, but for a tr I would have a hard time trusting that.

What?!?!?!

jt512

Mar 24, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #43 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A wrap 3 pull 2 is the accepted method of anchoring to a tree on SAR teams around the world, what it basically does is isolate the knot from the force so all the force goes to the webbing. And what the heck jbell and jt512, you guys don't immedialty understand so you begin to flame? Maybe if you guys did a little research instead of using the instaflame you would see what I'm talking about! Go back to "Freedom of the Hills" and take a look in the anchor section and then come back and talk to me :x . Anywyas I thought guys of your experience would know a little better and show a little more knowledge and maturity.
out
tim
(is is me or is it getting hot in here? :wink: )

And what are "ground principals." Another SAR term I haven't heard of?

-Jay

timsesink

Mar 24, 2005, 2:16 AM
Post #44 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Caughtinside
I think you're friends on crack. A wrap 3 pull 2 is by far the safest way to construct a tree anchor, if it wasn't would SAR teams use it? But whatever, as long as you're comfortable and you feel safe, it ain't no skin off my back. As for knot twisting and slipping and gate flutter I've never heard of that, if you could shoiw me some evidence such as websites, articles etc.. I would happy to look at them.
out
tim

curt

Mar 24, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #45 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have no clue how. What is it im guna need so i know it is right?

You're guna need a tree, for shur.

Curt

yakker

Mar 24, 2005, 1:33 PM
Post #46 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to sit down with some books,lots and lots of books!They got pictures.I started reading years ahead before I started roped climbing.And still read what I can everyday just about.Even if its my old Freedom of the Hills.the Complete Guide to Rope Techniques is another good one I found early this week. Peace,

Partner tisar

Mar 24, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #47 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you must use a tree as one of your anchor points, [..]

This might be a spin-off and a stupid question too. But I don't see any reason in 'backing up' a tree anyways. If the tree 'pops' you're f*cked up anyhow.

Given a decent size tree in an standard anchor setup, a blow provides a FF2-fall of a tree (I imagine a weight at least double the weight of a human being) into static cord or webbing. IF the other pieces would be bomber enough to withstand such a force - why use the tree? If not - now you get the point...

I'm just a noob, so maybe someone might enlighten me...

-Daniel

mccarthykm

Mar 24, 2005, 2:36 PM
Post #48 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
If you must use a tree as one of your anchor points, [..]

This might be a spin-off and a stupid question too. But I don't see any reason in 'backing up' a tree anyways. If the tree 'pops' you're f*cked up anyhow.

I'm just a noob, so maybe someone might enlighten me...

-Daniel

who cares how bomber a tree may be, always back it up! what about the possibility of the webbing being cut where it hangs over the edge. In that situation it wouldn't matter how bomber the tree is. Common sense will keep you alive in most situations.

Partner tisar

Mar 24, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #49 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
who cares how bomber a tree may be, always back it up! what about the possibility of the webbing being cut where it hangs over the edge. In that situation it wouldn't matter how bomber the tree is. Common sense will keep you alive in most situations.

I didn't talk about giving up redundancy concerning webbing/biners etc. but about backing up the tree itself with additional anchor points.

The only reason I see in that is to keep wear off the tree and use it just as emergency backup for the rest of the anchor. This would be more environmental protection than climbing pro though.

- Daniel

stevec

Mar 24, 2005, 2:54 PM
Post #50 of 74 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wrap 3 pull 2 is a good method for equalizing a piece of webbing between 3 trees, but is rarely useful for setting up tr's. For one thing you need to find three trees and then you need to have enough webbing to equalize between them. More importantly it is not a redundant anchor system, if the webbing fails at any point in the anchor you will have total anchor failure, which should generally be avoided.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook