Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wichita Mountains
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

thedejongs

Mar 24, 2005, 5:17 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Wichita Mountains  (North_America: United_States: Oklahoma: Southwest: Wichita_Mountains)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Apart from gym and the occasional guided toprope day, I have also taken hands-on anchor building courses and climbed multi-pitch with AAI in Red Rocks. I climb in the 5.10+ range normally but am headed to Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge in a week or two with my family (wife, nine year old, six year old, and one year old). Everyone climbs except for the one year old (so far), but their climbing has been mainly indoors (they've ventured out a couple of times and loved it). I would value recommendations on routes and areas in the Wichitas which will have (1) variety of difficulty (prefer 5.6-5.8 for them), (2) ability to set top ropes either through walkarounds or 5.9 or less sport routes, and (3) open areas at the bottom so I don't have to worry about my one year old or six year old wandering over a ledge while I'm belaying my wife. I do have the Oklahoma guidebook, so if you'll just name the area and the route, I'll find it. I want to ensure that (a) everyone has a safe, fun time, (b) I get a chance to practice my anchor building skills, and (c) my wife builds confidence in my anchor building skills and being outdoors to climb in general. Thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

drubt

Mar 24, 2005, 5:43 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1911 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wichita Mountains [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Zoo wall in the Narrows is always a popular spot with the dihedral, crazy alice, dr coolhead et al. Also upper mt. Scott has a lot of top-ropable routes, and you have the guide book. Neither approach is very difficult with mt scott being the easiest to find but the narrows is beautiful. no luck on the sport part though most all of the wichita's is trad save the meadows, echo and lost dome and a few other various areas. PM me if you have more specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Have a great time!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook