RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

livinontheedge

Mar 21, 2005, 7:16 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

can anyone help me out....?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im new to this site, so I dont know how it exactly works, but I have a couple of questions, since Im a beginner at rock climbing I was wondering if there are ways to make it easier, should I do pull ups, or stretching??? anything that will make me better at bouldering and rockclimbing... :) well and I was wondering if there are any really good sites for buying gear, like buy them for cheap but the gear is good... any answers would help me greatly thanks alot! :D

drubt

Mar 21, 2005, 8:59 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Re: can anyone help me out....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey buddy welcome to the wonderful world of rock climbing!
stretching and pullups would be fine you could even get a hang board but the thing that is going to help you the most right now is just climbing. Get out as often as you can and with as many people as you can. Start meeting people and find out what area of climbing most interests you. Also you'll find that most of the websites sell the same gear with close to the same prices you just kind of have to search around for the good deals. I understand gearexpress and mountaingear are pretty cheap but that's all i got. I wish you luck in all your climbing endeavors and most of all have fun!

jackhammer

Mar 21, 2005, 12:28 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey buddy welcome to the wonderful world of rock climbing!
stretching and pullups would be fine you could even get a hang board but the thing that is going to help you the most right now is just climbing. Get out as often as you can and with as many people as you can. Start meeting people and find out what area of climbing most interests you. Also you'll find that most of the websites sell the same gear with close to the same prices you just kind of have to search around for the good deals. I understand gearexpress and mountaingear are pretty cheap but that's all i got. I wish you luck in all your climbing endeavors and most of all have fun!

I could not have said it better myself...

A class would be good too...

overlord

Mar 21, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^ ditto what they said. climbing is the best excercise for a beginner. worry about improving stuff once you know what needs improving.

brian

Mar 21, 2005, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WELCOME WELCOME

First thing is just keep climbing and have fun.
don't be afraid to ask other climbers for beta or help with a problem.
leave the exercise for later.

stay out of the department store!!!!

make sure you try the gear on a wall before buying, These aren't walking shoes!!!!(most gym's will let you try new gear if you are looking to buy)

#1 rule have fun

livinontheedge

Mar 22, 2005, 5:44 AM
Post #6 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

thanks!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks soo much from everybody, you guys are soo welcoming I love it!! all the advice has been great, Im goin climbin tomorrow after school, cant wait.... well I hope to hear from everyone... maybe even become friends on this site!~thanks a bunch :) ~stefanie

shiva523

Mar 22, 2005, 5:10 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the climbing community!
It's a great sport and you're going to love it. Like the previous posts mentioned, climbing is the best practice. But I'd also like to mention that bouldering will be very helpful in developing strength. You'll find that it will allow you to climb harder quicker, but be cautious not to dwell too much on climbing hard right now. Just enjoy the experience. Good luck to you!

Partner crgwhe

Mar 23, 2005, 8:21 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea...what everyone else said. Climb but don't over do it or risk finger tendon injury.
As far as an online place to shop for gear, check out the latest question on that subject;
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84150
I think www.gearexpress.com won. I like-em.

the_climber

Mar 23, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome to the vertical world! I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has said, because it's all been good. I'll expand on the tendon thing a little... when starting out climbing many people have an goal to climb harder as soon as they can. For most of us in this sport it is more of a lifestyle and addiction rather than a past-time. So, as it is most will want to do nothing but climbing all the time. Don't over do it. Your rest days are when you muscles are repairing themselves, and that is when you are getting stronger. It is also the time when the other tissues in you body are healing, ie tendons. Your tendons aren't flexible like your muscles are and therefore are often more prone to overuse injuries. Tendons take a long time to strengthen, many times longer then it does for muscle strength. So, my advice to you for improving you climbing:
Plan your climbing with the goal of being able to climb for the rest of your life. If your fingers hurt, take a few days off, if they still hurt after that, take a few more days off. Climbing related overuse syndromes and injuries will take twice as long to heal if you climb on them to soon.
How, to improve all aspect of you ability:
Spend the time logging hours and meters on the easier climbs. Build a strong base with the easier climbs, then when you move to harder climbs expand that base and include the harder climbs at the top. Think of it like a pyramid. Say you want to climb a 5.10a, if you only have a few 5.8's 9's under your belt, then you'll likely have troubles consistently gaining your goal. However, if you have a solid base to your pyramid of climbs, ie. many 5.7's 5.8's 5.9's, then you will have more success! Bouldering is where you technique improves the fastest, do lots of it, but remember, don't over do it.

Ok, I did go over some of what the other's said (Couldn't help myself, it's great when new climbers are motivated and ask for advice)

Above all, Have fun! Lots and lots of fun! That’s why we do it. Climbing is the best sport you will ever get in to.

akicebum

Mar 23, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This could be the most positive post I have seen on this site. These guys have been dropping some great advice your way. Take some time with gear besides the basics (shoes, harness, belay device, helmet, rope) learn what gear you like and don't like by actually using it. When you make big purchases I like to use REI. The reason being is that when I get my dividend it is like Christmas and I can usually buy a new cam or two which gets me all excited for spring projects.

As for working out to improve your climbing. I would say just climb like crazy, but do stretch. Stretching is overlooked by so many people and it does wonders. I used to be a neandertal that couldn't touch his toes, and now I after just a few minutes a day I can put my head to my shins. Being limber helps a great deal and will help prevent injury. Good luck, have fun, be safe.

republiclimber

Mar 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

be sure to check out the thread "ask the noob"....

12volt_man

Mar 24, 2005, 2:53 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where I come from there is saying about the best way of learning any new venture:

Pa'a ka waha, nana ka maka, hana ka lima.

8^)

climb_high4life

Mar 24, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Welcome, as said best thing right now is climbing, but stretching and pullups are great to.

As far as good places to buy gear. www.rei.com, www.mgear.com, www.shorelinemtn.com, www.summithut.com, www.backcountrygear.com, and www.bdel.com. These are my favorites, but there are others as well.

Good luck, and have fun. 8^)

Partner tisar

Mar 24, 2005, 10:11 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since it's burried somewhere I'm not too ashamed to dig it out again:

I wrote a little training guide for noobs some time ago. Not too much info in there but it may show a direction and you might find some points to start a search on.

Climb on!

- Daniel

dontfall

Mar 24, 2005, 3:07 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ask ryan112ryan for he knows all......

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook