RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dax

Apr 9, 2005, 2:19 AM
Post #1 of 5 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Granite Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dealing with flat light on a cloudy day. I figured since it was so flat, I'd just kill the DOF, and focus on texture, and in-your-faceness. All critizism welcome. Thanks!

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=51203

melekzek

Apr 10, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Re: Granite Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the pose is somewhat uninteresting.... the next move (it is always the next move, huh) looks like a more photographic one. The talent is holding, but there is nothing here deserving a second look...

But the strongest feature in this photo is the placement of the pads. Combined with the dead horizontal rock, the lines of the pads form a nice geometric structure. It is really promosing. I would try shooting from different positions, and different frames. Combined with an intertesting pose/action it will make a great photo.... me thinks....

dax

Apr 10, 2005, 2:21 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the imput! I'm glad someone else likes the pads, too. I was hoping for better body position, but he couldn't hit the move :) After 20 or so attempts, there was no more coaxing to be done...

Good point about body position. I think the pic below from the same session has better body position than the first, (I like the diagonals of his limbs alot.) but it got booed away by all my friends...

How do you like the action of this compared to the first, still too boring?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=51162

Partner philbox

Apr 10, 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually like the first pic better than the second due to the fact that I am into faces at the moment. The second pic the talent simply looks too relaxed. The fingers belie the face, in other words it looks like he is on a heinous move but the face does not give any of that away.

If a picture paints a thousand words then a face in a picture can paint ten thousand words. I wish I had a camera that took more than 4 frames a second and then takes 15 seconds to download those 4 frames. Sometimes the perfect facial expression is missed by a heartbeat. Posed pics often look posed. I do know that photogs like Simon Carter get the talent to repeat moves over and over until they are wasted and the expression on their face becomes exaggerated, then they start to get some cool looking pics.

Yeah, I like the geometry of the first pic too.

dax

Apr 11, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, these were shot w/ a Nikon CoolPix 5700. 3 frames/sec burst w/ a max of... 3 frames! Then settle in for a good 3-4 minute wait for them to write. --Makes getting the good faces kinda difficult. :) (the Canon 20D's on the way, thank God!)

I think if I tried to get any of my climbing partners to re-run problems on demand, I'd end up w/ my camera in a place I didn't want it. :) If only I were a good enough shot to have the clout, eh? Thanks for your info!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook