Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Apr 22, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #1 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

humbling experiance.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

wow so i just deleted a really long, rambling post.

the gist of it is this... i just got through not winning anything at bouldering comp for the first time in a little while.

becuase there wasnt a girls' division. because i was the only girl that competed.

there were about 30 people that competed total, and i placed somewhere between 4th and 6th. our university doesnt have that high of a concentration of stellar climbers.

what i'm struggling with right now is this: i feel "bad" because i didnt place, or win anything, which i thought i was going to because i thought there would be a girl's catagory. but i placed pretty decently overall. where i deserved to, relative to who competed. its a week to week toss-up whose stronger, between me and most of those guys.

also: i didnt win, but ya know, i did ok. with*out* the girls' division. do i need one? do i really? can girls climb just as good as guys?

mistertyler

Apr 22, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #2 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Re: humbling experiance. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Were you happy with the way you climbed?

That, to me, is the only thing that matters.

caughtinside

Apr 22, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #3 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Let it go, brah. Us soul surfers don't care about competitions."

8^)

tchamber

Apr 22, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #4 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
can girls climb just as good as guys?

Yes, they certainly can. Lynn Hill isn't an amazing climber just because she's a girl. Nobody goes, hey, freeing the nose is under a day is pretty good for a girl (a short one at that).

So I don't think there can really be any excuses for being too short, the wrong gender, or anything like that. Don't set limitations on yourself.

The other issue you need to address is your motivation for climbing, and what you are intending to get out of these competitions. Do you climb in them solely to win? Are you trying to get exposure to see how other climbers attack problems slightly differently than you?

You need to find something positive you can get out of these competitions without winning. Otherwise, every time you don't place first, your going to go through these issues.

Just my thoughts.

clausti

Apr 22, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #5 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

this is in the forum for *competition* climbing because its about competition. so, the "way i climbed" is not the *only* thing that matters. other things that matter in this case include how everyone else climbed.

zozo

Apr 22, 2005, 10:28 PM
Post #6 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
do i need one? do i really? can girls climb just as good as guys?

Since these are the only two questions asked Im guessing the answers go as follows

1. Who knows
2 Sometimes

:wink:

quietmonk

Apr 22, 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #7 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a worthless person and nobody will ever like or love you for not being able to crank as hard as a few of the boys at that competition.

Lynn Hill would call you a disapointment to the feminist movement and a pawn of paternal dominance.

Do what every stud on rc.com does: buy some HIT strips and shoot some roids into your butt. In time, there will be no need for you to have a women's division to compete in. You'll be playing ball with the big boys and kicking their a$$. :twisted:

kman

Apr 22, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #8 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
becuase there wasnt a girls' division

Are you saying that you did not win because there was not a girls division :?:

If so then that's bogus. You did not win because you did not perform as good as the 1st place winner, not because there was no girls division.

Or are you saying that girls are weaker than guys when it comes to climbing? IMO I don't think so.

sed

Apr 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #9 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only person who can answer the question of "should I care?" is you.
If you are climbing for other people you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Your goals should be your goals, if that means being better than last time or leading a 5.8 clean, or being the best female or the best female in 05 or the best all around climber in your region, state, country, world, or even the best one-legged climber or the best one-eyed or one-armed climber, or maybe you do have one leg but you still want to be the best climber at the competition, so be it. If you don't meet your goals you should be disappointed. if you do meet your goals you shouldn't be. the trick is deciding on a goal that is meaningful to you.

cintune

Apr 22, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #10 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this is in the forum for *competition* climbing because its about competition. so, the "way i climbed" is not the *only* thing that matters. other things that matter in this case include how everyone else climbed.

Maybe you should ask kansasclimber for some training tips. Sounds to me like you need to climb HARDER.

mistertyler

Apr 22, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #11 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You have zero control over how well others climb. How you climb is all that matters, and if you performed to the best of your physical and mental abilities, then all you can do to compete more strongly in the future is to train harder or start hanging out with Jeff Gillooly.

clausti

Apr 22, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #12 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
becuase there wasnt a girls' division

Are you saying that you did not win because there was not a girls division :?:

If so then that's bogus. You did not win because you did not perform as good as the 1st place winner, not because there was no girls division.

Or are you saying that girls are weaker than guys when it comes to climbing? IMO I don't think so.

no, sorry, didnt phrase that clearly but what i meant was, usually i win stuff only if/because there is the artificial "girls' " division. whereas, this time, i didnt win anything because i didnt climb as hard as the guys who won, and there was no "girls' " division separating it out.

clausti

Apr 22, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #13 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
or start hanging out with Jeff Gillooly.

who is that?

mistertyler

Apr 22, 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #14 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
or start hanging out with Jeff Gillooly.

who is that?

From factmonster.com:

Tonya Harding
Born: Nov. 12, 1970
Figure skater

1991 U.S. women's champion; involved in bizarre plot hatched by ex-husband Jeff Gillooly to injure rival Nancy Kerrigan on Jan. 6, 1994 and keep her off Olympic team; won '94 U.S. women's title in Kerrigan's absence; denied any role in assault and sued USOC when her berth on Olympic team was threatened; finished 8th at Lillehammer (Kerrigan recovered and won silver medal); pled guilty on Mar. 16 to conspiracy to hinder investigation; stripped of 1994 title by U.S. Figure Skating Association.

:)

clausti

Apr 22, 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #15 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
involved in bizarre plot hatched by ex-husband Jeff Gillooly to injure rival Nancy Kerrigan on Jan. 6, 1994

:)

in 1994 i was 9. therefore, i feel justified in not knowing that. :D

philfell

Apr 22, 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #16 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Re: humbling experience. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you climb to do your best or do you climb to beat those at a lesser ability than you??

Would you have felt better about your performance if there was a female division that you won simply because you were the only one in it and your climbing had nothing to do with your victory?

How would you feel if there was four other girls there, you climbed poor compared to how you normally climb, but still managed to take the win. Would that make you feel satisfied with your performance?

It sounds to me like you have a lot of growing up to do before you are really ready to compete in anything.

Partner jammer

Apr 23, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #17 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hold up here ... loosing cool. You loose for a reason. Find the reason ... Find the weak spot and work on that area. When I've lost in compitition, it brought me down a notch or two and forced me to re-evaluate and refocus. It was when I was on top that I loosened my grip too much and slacked.

Do like you've done before ... pick yourself up, brush yourself off and get it done. (sorry ... had to say that)

sticky_fingers

Apr 23, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #18 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... and i placed somewhere between 4th and 6th.

sooooo you placed...wait a minute, lemme break out my calculator....punch, punch, punch..."carry the one"....punch,...5th? :P

edited because i couldn't put greater/less than signs around my punches

clausti

Apr 23, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #19 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
... and i placed somewhere between 4th and 6th.

sooooo you placed...wait a minute, lemme break out my calculator....punch, punch, punch..."carry the one"....punch,...5th? :P

edited because i couldn't put greater/less than signs around my punches

no, i placed either 4th, 5th, or 6th. i know i scored worse than the #3 guy, and better than the #7 guy.

happy?

clausti

Apr 23, 2005, 1:02 AM
Post #20 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you climb to do your best or do you climb to beat those at a lesser ability than you??

Would you have felt better about your performance if there was a female division that you won simply because you were the only one in it and your climbing had nothing to do with your victory?

How would you feel if there was four other girls there, you climbed poor compared to how you normally climb, but still managed to take the win. Would that make you feel satisfied with your performance?

It sounds to me like you have a lot of growing up to do before you are really ready to compete in anything.

climbed my current "best," but wasnt happy with it. fell off problems i thought i could finish, because i didnt have the endurance to do it competantly enough times to figure out my beta for the end.

no, i woudlnt have felt better if i won a girls' division i was the only one in. they offered me one, and i said, no, that would be kind of pointless. they also offered to adjust the point values on the problems for any girls that would compete, or add x number of bonus points at the end for femaleness, but still put me and any other girls that might have shown up in the same catagory. i said they shouldnt do either, that if they were gonna put me in with the boys, just let it be that. so it was.

and no, if i climbed poorly and beat four other girls anyways i probably wouldnt have been satisfied either.

the fact remains that none of that was the question. the question was simply should there even be a girls' division in climbing comps. that is why that had question marks at the end of it, instead of anything else.

i merely said all of that other stuff to elucidate the thought processes that brought me to that question. perhaps i should have stated it more simply, that you could grasp what i was asking.

avalon420

Apr 23, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #21 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Between 4th & 6th, that wouldbe 5th right? Not bad at all,if i was u i'd feel pretty good, 25 guy now feel like little bitches :oops: .better than icould have done. I've had comp. block since i got shut down (by me) at a skate(BOARD) show back in 98.but i personally dont think there should be different divisions, but i think, climbers , chefs, not FEMALE climer or MALE chef. every dog has its day, and they most often dont have two in a row.GOOD JOB,and BETTER LUCK NExT TIME

off_center

Apr 23, 2005, 1:20 AM
Post #22 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a critical look at your training regiment taking into account factors like whether or not your weakly peak coincides with the comp, whether or not you're mentally prepared, whether or not you'd had enough to eat and drink at appropriate times that day, enough sleep, etc . . . What can you do differently in the future to keep from running out of steam? On the other hand, maybe you just had a bad day. Hope you figure it out.

Edited because I'm an ass don't completely read what others write.

vawwyakr

Apr 23, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #23 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually for my first comp I was totally surprised that there WAS a girls division. I've just taken it for granted that given equal training time women could climb just as well as men. I didn't see the need for a girls division.

For this case here the only thing I see as bad is that there were no other girls in the comp! How sad, I would have hoped that more women would be involved.

True climbing is still sadly male dominated (I would much prefer a 50/50 split) but compared to the other sport I'm majorly involved in (WW kayaking) it's a refreshing change to see as many women as I do see!

Good job on the comp Clausti and good luck with your next one!! I'm glad that there are women like you who do what you enjoy and are confident and skilled enough to enter comps.

Partner oldsalt

Apr 23, 2005, 2:37 AM
Post #24 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that female climbers should be able to compete on a level basis with males. I don't mean just let them compete, I think that climbing is a non-sex biased activity physically.

Strength to weight, skill, experience, opportunity, where is the mismatch as more females climb?

I gave up fencing because others must have a bad day in order for me to have a good one - and vice versa. Climbing is personal and individual to me. If your individuality leads you to compete, go for it, but GO for it all the way. The heck with gender classes, outwork and outclimb the rest.

Clausti, you can do it.

Apr 23, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #25 of 62 (13633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you need a girls division?

Such a relative question. Do the girls offer a chalange or not? Competitions are all relative, it all depends who you are competing with and how they perform that day. Absolute would be to look at your performance during actual climbing not your position in the competition. If you must win pick a competition with less skilled climbers or come climb with me. I will make you feel good all day, because you will win for sure.

Can girls climb as hard as boys?

You beat 24 boys. Come on now, you know the answer. Your a tough climber, pull for your soul not your ego.

[This is where I advertise my new company "Profesional Loosers". If you need to feel good about yourself, then hire me. I will lose to you every time in whatever type of competition you desire, but I will make you think I am trying my best. I will even get upset at the fact that I am loosing. In the end you will feel better about yourself and I will get paid. It's a win win situation] :D

Ken

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook