Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cosmiccragsman

Apr 27, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #26 of 27 (4542 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey GoGo;
Did you have an M.R.I. done? I had a rotator cuff injury about 6 years ago and had to have major surgery done. I tore my supraspinitus and intra spinitus ligaments or tendons. I cant'remember which, lig. or tendon.
They were torn completly off a couple of inches above where they attach to the arm. The first Dr. said it was just a sprain. HA, He said that after just doing an xray and feeling the shoulder. For some reason I had doubts, so I went and got a second opinion. The 2nd Dr. did an MRI.
Lo and behold, the Dr. told me I was messed up and had to have surgury
done. acouple of days before surg, my arm had stopped hurting. I still had problems lifting my arm above my shoulder But I could, so I asked my Doc. He said, sure you may not have pain, but it's because its's completly torn off. I had surgury, OH THE PAIN!!! after surgery. (Thank God for Percodan) 4 weeks after, started PT. I was back climbing approx 4 mos. after surg.
If you still have problems after abouty 4 mos. I would suggest you get an MRI. Because xrays don't show torn ligaments. You need a procedure that shows soft tissue. I can climb with my shoulder now, but even after 6 yrs. I still can feel that my shoulder has been damaged at one time.
I hope yours gets to feeling better. And it might be a good idea to get a second opinion.
cosmiccragsman

gogo

Apr 27, 2005, 2:20 AM
Post #27 of 27 (4542 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks for the continued support, however I am pretty sure that it isn't torn, just because of the range of motion and strength that I still have in that shoulder (the P.T. people tested the strength and range of motion pretty extensively, and while it wasn't equal to the unhurt shoulder, it still wasn't where it should be).

Basically, at this point it feels totally fine when I'm not climbing, doesn't hurt doing rehab excercises either, but when I climb for more than about an hour, or on overhanging terrain at all, I can really feel it the next few days. Unfortunately, I still set every week, which slows down the healing, but keeps the rent paid.

I figure the smartest thing I can do is take the next few weeks off from climbing w/ minimal setting, because it would really not be cool to not climb all summer. I think the biggest thing right now is time. And some kind of magical drug that makes injuries totally dissapear would be pretty cool too.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook