RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

olympicmtnboy

Apr 28, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #1 of 3 (3059 views)
Shortcut

Swage strength - Aluminum vs. Copper
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I've been playing around with making some heads and stuff working off copperhead's excellent post and I had a question for all you techie folks. I know that aluminum swages are softer, and can pull through on small aluminum heads, but can i use them for the clip in loop? How strong will a swaged aluminum loop in 1/8" cable be vs. a copper swage, vs. the cable strength? Looking on FISH's site and on the picture of Eric Khol's swaged stuff on here, it looks like some of the swages are Al.
Mostly I ask this because I want to dink around with some stuff and play the "will it hold" game from the ground and not have to go buy a bunch of heads to trash, and there is no nearby place to buy copper swages. The local hardware store has Al swages, cable, a cutter, and a nicopress I can use. I don't want to be playing around with stuff that will behave too much differently than in the real wall world though.

mikeehartley

Apr 28, 2005, 1:14 AM
Post #2 of 3 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Re: Swage strength - Aluminum vs. Copper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't done any testing with small swages and my copperhead bashing experience is limited. Given that, I owned a rigging business for 15 years and have done 10 squillion swages. If you talk to Nicropress they will tell you that aluminum is for lighter weight applications (80% of the wire rating) and copper is for high load applications (90% rated). In reality I've found little difference in destructive tests PROVIDED you have a good compression. Aluminum is more brittle than copper and occasionally the ferrule will crack during the swaging process. You should inspect the ferrule closely. I have never had the cable slip out of the swaged fitting (though I've heard of it happening - always check the compressions with a gauge). In all of my testing the cable always breaks at the ferrule. So on the eyesplice/clip-in loop you should be OK with aluminum. Once again the official line is to use copper at this splice

In spite of what the other knowledgeable people have posted, I have not found aluminum to be more malleable that copper - just the opposite. I wonder if the "cable pulling through the head" reference isn't due to the aluminum actually cracking and splitting.

olympicmtnboy

Apr 29, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #3 of 3 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Re: Swage strength - Aluminum vs. Copper [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Mike, satisfied my curiosity. I made up a few aluminum heads down at the hardware store. They got some good bashing at my local choss spot today. Nothing pulled that wasn't a really crappy placement (which most of them were cause I'm not so good at placing em). :-)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook