RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

wombatz

Apr 20, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

exercise beside climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Girls!
I just read the babes on Belay article, apparently they are doing Yoga as a warm up before climbing? now, I don't know much about yoga, but wondered what are you guys doing to keep yourself stretchy and smooth?
I used to do Capoeira since a couple of years, but had to slow it down due to wrist injuries (which doesn't help climbing either :cry: )
Thanks for any feedback
Wombatz

elshells

Apr 21, 2005, 2:19 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Re: exercise beside climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like running and the standard sit ups and push ups. Also once a year I will sign up for a ballet class. I danced until I was out of college...not because I am any good, but for fun, exercise, and flexiblity.

Ballet is good for keeping things stretchy, plus it is great for balance and grace while climbing. It is a great way to work out my legs while giving my arms a little bit of a rest (but don't be fooled your arms do get a work out it is just different from climbing). I think it is a good alternative to yoga.

that is my 2 cents

vertk8r

Apr 21, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I competed in gymnastics for a long time so I have a good base of flexibility. I do a little stretch before climbing and a lot afterward to maintain my flexibility. To keep in good shape outside of climbing I just do a lot of different sports so that my body doesn't just get used to doing one thing.

:D :D

comet

Apr 21, 2005, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i do yoga, and dance classes are a great idea too--if you pick one with music you like, you can get a great workout, hardly even noticing you're "working out."

i miss team sports. if anyone knows of women's pickup leagues in the bay area...pm me.

clee03m

Apr 21, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I stretch every night before I go to sleep. And I stretch between sets when I lift weights. That reminds me, is it safe the day after climbing to lift weights on a body part that is sore from climbing?

kimmyt

Apr 21, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clee, I usually lift on a MWF schedule. However, when I climb to the point of soreness the following day (for example, this past weekend I was at the Gunks and totally got my butt kicked) I'll take Monday off.

The important thing, i think, is listening to your body. If my arms and back are sore (not just stiff, but sooore) I won't lift because I worry that if I push it, I might pull something. How much would it suck to hurt myself when I was training for climbing so that I couldn't climb?

K.

tavs

Apr 21, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm getting into biking as a lower body/aerobic exercise to balance climbing and keep/get me in shape for alpine stuff.

I also do pilates, three morning a week--great for stretching/flexibility, and also fantastic for core strength. I find it more stimulating and appealing than yoga.

rockelf

Apr 28, 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well guess what, I was sore from climbing last week, and started my weekly training for climbing, DID NOT listen to my body and I think I screwed up the rotator cuff in my shoulder. How many frigging times will it take for me to learn. So from now on, if I ever heal and getback to it, I will be stretching and doing yoga the days that I am sore after climbing.

OUCH!!!!!

mtnchik

Apr 28, 2005, 12:42 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was always feeling a little tight while i climbed until i started yoga. i found this routine that i do every morning and it's just a happy start to my day. then at the gym i'll do an easy bouldering problem, when i get to the top i'll stretch by hanging, and then climb back down. that seems to get my blood flowing. but i hear pilates is excellent and would love to try that one of these days.

vertk8r

Apr 28, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ladies, please tell me, is YOGA all its cracked up to be????? It's so popular now but I have always thought that it was sooooo slow and it would be boring. Does it really help you get toned up? What kind of yoga would you suggest for a beginner-yoga-doer. I am already very flexible from my gymnastics background. Where should I start? Is it expensive? (I already climb and compete in dragon boating, and these are both not cheap sports by any means).

Suggestions Please? :D

comet

Apr 28, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you can do yoga on your own, but i think it's a lot more fun if you take a class or find a buddy to do it with.

if you do a vinyasa-style class, you'll keep moving almost the whole time. i like an ashtanga-vinyasa blend, which has a good combination of movement work and held poses for strength and balance. there are a ton of options out there, and a lot of yoga studios offer a discount on a month or set of classes if you're new to their studio, so you can check out a range and see what works for you. cost will range from $5-$15 if you pay per class, or a bit less if you do package-type deals.

also, i find my enjoyment level far more dependent on the instructor than the style of practice. i like someone who is hands-on and calming without being totally hippy-dippy, but something else might work better for you.

good luck! i find yoga helps as much with my head as it does with my body.

iamthewallress

Apr 28, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I liked Yoga better because I can see a lot of benefits of doing it, but I'm too type A. Same for pilates. Even if it makes me work hard, I'm watching the clock. I have never tried a fast-fire pose rotation kind of power yoga class. Maybe I would like that better, but I'm afraid that if that's what it takes for me, I've missed part of the point of the yoga.

When I'm motivated, I enjoy running, a high energy abs class, and a bit of old school push-up, pull-ups, etc. I stretch a lot just b/c it feels good. Old dancer habit. Mostly I climb though.

vertk8r

Apr 28, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info comet! Do you (or anyone else) know if there is such thing as outdoor yoga classes over the summer? (I'm in Ontario)

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

May 20, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I stretch every night before I go to sleep. And I stretch between sets when I lift weights. That reminds me, is it safe the day after climbing to lift weights on a body part that is sore from climbing?

Generally speaking, that sore feeling comes from minor muscle tears during activity. Don't worry, it's not an injury; it's part of your body breaking and rebuilding muscle during strength training. But for that reason, it's usually not a good idea to do strength training multiple days in a row when you're that sore, because your body needs time to repair. Eat/drink lots of protein post-workout!

As for what I do in my "spare" time, I love rowing but haven't found the time since I stopped coaching, I like to run, I've ridden horses for 16 years, and I love golf, although that obviously doesn't count as a sport!

Anyway, we've been eating donuts all day at the office so I really need to go to the gym now...

:roll:

zoebird

May 23, 2005, 5:34 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love to move, and rock climbing is my new thing, so i have a lot of other fitness modalities already in place simply because i love to move so much.

i like triathlon training. i swim every day (except during menstruation, when i switch swimming for biking), i rock climb three days a week (four if possible), and the other four days i alternate between running and biking.

I also practice yoga. I practice yoga from a spiritual standpoint--as a spiritual discipline. The physical benefits of the practice are amazing--if done properly. If done improperly, there is a high risk of injury (particularly repetitive motion injuries in the shoulders, lower back, and knees). Good instruction is important for yoga.

There are, of course, many styles of hatha yoga (hatha yoga refers to all styles of schools that use asanas, or postures, though some classical, or slow form, yoga classes use the term hatha to differentiate it from the vinyasa forms such as astanga or kali ray tri yoga and to differentiate it from the krishnamacharya lineage which is the origin of astanga and iyengar style yoga). The practices are varied based on the teacher's interests, training, and experience.

I am a yoga teacher and thai yoga massage practitioner. I tend to teach free-form vinyasa classes with a strong emphasis on alignment to give students the maximum benefits of the postures--flexability, strength, endurance, relaxation, and deep energy work. I teach 12-15 classes per week; I'd like to do more thai massages ("lazy man's yoga" where an individual lays on a futon mat and i do certain energy work and stretches with their body).

Currently, i'm working with some of the people at the rock gym where i'm starting out this rock climbing adventure to start classes. it's likely that i'll do them 'by donation' or for $5 per class (classes lasting an hour). I've noticed that climbers tend to have a lot of flexability in hips and shoulders, but not in hamstrings, rotator cuffs (part of the shoulder obviously), and in their necks (it's interesting how the gazing for holds around edges affects the neck). So, i think that there's more than enough material for me to cover to benefit rock climbers--and i've seen a number of people at the place doing really bad yoga before climbing that it would be worthwhile to offer a class.

So, yoga is all it's cracked up to be (and more, from a spiritual standpoint).

Dance and pilates are also great options. Pilates is based in yoga and dance; dance--depending upon the style, i prefer belly and african--can have any number of amazing influences that can develop all sorts of physical and personal strengths.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook