Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

biggernhell

Jun 12, 2002, 5:14 PM
Post #26 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If everyone realy wants free pink tricams just climb Blond Ambition at Sunset Park in Chattanooga TN. Theres a horizontal that eats them. There are three fixed side by side in mid-route. These things are seriously welded in. I think you could legitimatly girth hitch them and go on without risking a donation to the booty gods.

Partner dondiego

Jun 12, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #27 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just like Aerosmith said "...Pink, my favorite color..." Tri's rock over here in the hard rock of the east. I have tested them a couple of time (on purpose of course).
-Don Diego-

bearshaman

Jun 15, 2002, 9:55 PM
Post #28 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tri-cams rule. they are relatively inexpensive compared to an slcd and can be used passive or active. i always feel good casting off to pull through a crux section with a tri-cam as my last piece.

tanner

Jun 30, 2002, 8:08 PM
Post #29 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pink and red tri-cams the best my fav. pro to place. They set in place so well and are really easy to place compared to the bigger ones. The bigger ones are realy fiddly to place but once there in there good. But there are no fun to place. The only down side it the second has a hard time pulling them some times. But she sayes she likes that because it means there safe.

k9rocko

Jun 30, 2002, 8:43 PM
Post #30 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the tricams myself, and own the four smallest ones. They work wonderful at belay stations, but I don't use them much on lead.

Probably because I don't climb as well as jabbeaux's mother....
    -previuosly stated on this thread by jabbeaux

The main reasons I like tricams are because they don't have any springs / wires / hinges etc. a poor placement is the only reason you would expect it to fail.

..... just my two cents

[ This Message was edited by: k9rocko on 2002-06-30 13:45 ]

Partner tim

Jun 30, 2002, 9:54 PM
Post #31 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:
And what did your mother say about using more than one piece of protection??

I take offense. That's a pretty thinly veiled jab, in my book. And you're right, you don't climb as hard as my mom has. With a bad back and 50-year-old ankles. But then again, on most days, neither do I.

Tricams work well for the placements that suit them -- irregular pods, parallel cracks with a depression into which the nub can seat, and constrictions where they can be placed passively. I occasionally use them on lead; more often I place cams. I don't see why you would not want to use them where they are an appropriate and efficient solution, like any other piece (eg. it's dumb to waste 10 minutes frigging in a nut; it's smart to drop one into a tailor-made flake constriction in 1 second), whether on lead or building an anchor.

bshaftoe

Jul 1, 2002, 6:13 AM
Post #32 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[ This Message was edited by: bshaftoe on 2002-06-30 23:16 ]

k9rocko

Jul 5, 2002, 2:58 PM
Post #33 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:I take offense. That's a pretty thinly veiled jab, in my book.
You are correct, and I apologize for my thinly veiled jab....

The idea of rapping of one piece is considered unwise. Whether it was my mother, or another great climber who taught me this..... it really doesn't matter.

Many people look to this thread for information, hints, etc. Might as well give them good habits rather than brag about how you survived, even though you did something unwise.....

k9rocko

coach

Jul 5, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #34 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife got me a set of all the even tri-cams last Xmas and so far I have only used the 2 smallest sizes. They were used extensively during a trip to Red Rocks and if properly set they are bomber.

Climb On

* If anyone is interested in buying the others drop me a PM

[ This Message was edited by: coach on 2002-07-05 09:03 ]

reno

Jul 5, 2002, 4:45 PM
Post #35 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ounce for ounce, Tri-Cams are my favorite piece of gear. Yes, they can be tricky to place one-handed, and cleaning them can sometimes be a little touchy, but I like the feel of the placements, ease of checking placement, light weight, and versatility. Also, I don't get as upset if I lose a Tricam as compared to losing a SLCD.

I own doubles of the first 6, and use them extensively. I also climb on sandstone most of the time, if that matters.

Best,

JRB

rocknpowda

Jul 5, 2002, 5:29 PM
Post #36 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I'd much rather place a tricam in a parrallel sandstone crack than a hex. There is alot more camming action in a tricam.

It doesn't really matter though, when I go to the desert I borrow all the SPRING LOADED cams I can get my hands on and plug away. i also think people are misinformed as to the hardness of desert sandstone-if you are climbing a popular route the stuff is usually clean and bomber. Indian creek sandstone is clean and bomber even if no one has climbed it before. thank god for those splitter desert cracks.

Back to tricams-I agree that the pink is sweet but can hard to clean. It is a great piece to have when aid climbing. And the HUGE tricams are an affordable alternative to big SLCD's and can be used to beat down disgruntled camp hosts, rangers, and tourists. Just kidding.

coach

Jul 5, 2002, 5:51 PM
Post #37 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocknpowda,
The #7 looks almost like a deadly weapon! Keep it close to your bivey at night and you'll sleep a lot easier.

Climb On

clmbnski

Jul 7, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #38 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got back from a trip to Vedauwoo Wyoming. and I am proud to say that I didnt use a single SLCD. I lead everything I climbed using only tricams. I didnt take any falls on any of my pieces but did hang dog a few climbs. I must admit it is more exciting trying to place a tricam then a SLCD. It takes a while to get it into just the right place.

bshaftoe

Jul 9, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #39 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yet another photo, this time on Schoolroom West, LCC Utah:

Partner tim

Jul 10, 2002, 12:03 AM
Post #40 of 40 (4555 views)
Shortcut

tricams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That red tricam is a truly glorious placement.

I was busy lying like a rug to Addiroids about how I never carry hexes on easy/long routes and, *thock thock* looked down at my gear loop at the biner with the hexes and tricams on it (and a single keyhole hanger for emergencies) and had to weasel my way out of that one. It's such a habit to carry the red and pink that I don't even know when I'm doing it anymore... they weigh almost nothing.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook