RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

erroronn

Mar 26, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

shoes for ski-footed folk
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've got a couple of problems, first off, I have long, skinny feet, about a 13 B width. Second, I'm currently living in Nagano, Japan where the shoe sizes go up to about a 10.5 maximum. So, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a pair of skinny shoes so that I can order up a pair and try them out. I'm currently in a pair of Evolve Bandits that I've modified to take up the extra space in the shoe. I like them, but i'm hoping for something narrower next time. I'm considering the Montrail Smoothy, Scarpa reflex and maybe the new Sportiva Barracuda.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mike_the_sumo

Mar 26, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Re: shoes for ski-footed folk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm right there with you - 48 narrow - US 14. a or b . My last pair were 5.10 Spires, they really held up well and most any mail order place will have them. The pair I'm wearing now are Millet ROK's (http://www.millet.fr). a really nice pair of shoes for the money, but I'm doubtful you'll find them outside of france.

Hope this helps

mtnlvr

Mar 26, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the same boat. Size 12 and narrow. All the shoes I tried on at REI the uppers would be drawn all the way until touching when I tied them. Until I tried the LaSportiva Cliff (blue) shoes. Since they were the only ones that fit my foot that's what I bought.

Have the same problem with snowboarding boots.

microbarn

Mar 26, 2005, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am with you on the weird feet. I only wear 11, but I tried on EVERY shoe and found I was happiest with Miuras. They were so aggressive that they were able to tighten on my foot and touch everywhere. If you are looking for trad shoes, then I found the women's Mythos were the best fit.

I had men's mythos and found that after I wore them for 2 months they strectched so much that the laces could not tighten on my feet. Women's is narrower to start with.

Be ware: Muiras do not strech, but the mythos will stretch an inch every direction.

erroronn

Mar 28, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #5 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My big problem in trying on shoes is that I'm currently living in Japan and the biggest size that anything comes in domestically here is like a US 10 or 11. It's really interesting to hear people with wide feet as well as narrow ones talking about the Muria. Most of the Japanese climbers I know wear them, and they have little squares for feet by and large.

How about Scarpa? Has anyone tried the new Vector? What about the Eclipse? I'm gonna be mail ordering a whacking load of shoes in a couple of days so any ideas would be appreciated.

thomasribiere

Mar 28, 2005, 8:42 AM
Post #6 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe for skinny feet you could try the models designed for ladies. the problem will be the length I suppose... :?:

erroronn

Apr 29, 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #7 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just purchased a pair of Scarpa Visions and they're pretty sweet. They have a very narrow toe box and it's pretty low volume as well, so I would definitely recommend them to my fellow skinny-footers out there. The guys at BD are quite helpful as well, they even mailed the shoes internationally.

lehanen

Apr 29, 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #8 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Sportivas are the best fit for skinny feet, i was crippled in a pair of anasazi for the last few months until i went to France and tried on the Miuras. Excellent shoe. rockrun.com will ship internationally too but you'd be as well ordering more stuff with it. The postage is the same for 1 nut or a full rack!

tokitikki

Apr 29, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel your pain about oddly shaped (long, narrow) feet. And I just bought the Montrail Smoothy myself. I had no idea what to buy, being a beginner, but I liked the way they felt (and looked).

They have what looks like a half-sole, which I understand means you'll be resoling a bit sooner than you may have anticipated. I have super high arches, and they fit in the arch and base of my feet beautifully. I felt a lot more confident trusting my feet once I had these on. I ordered a half size smaller than I normally wear, and *thankfully* they fit exactly how I hoped they would, very snug but not painful.

They're lined, and the shape of the shoe will give you a problem if you get foot cramps easily like I do. That's the only problem I've noticed.

Good luck with your shoe search!

madriver

Apr 29, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tevas...

scotchie

Apr 29, 2005, 5:30 PM
Post #11 of 11 (1291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have long narrow feet. I wear size 13 or 12 depending on the specific shoe, and I think width "b" but I'm not sure.

I have a pair of 5.10 huecos and I love them. I do have to tighten the laces all the way at the front of the shoe, but it's tight enough. They're extremely comfortable - I wear them all day including on descents and belaying.

They're probably not the most "technical" shoe though, if you're into high-grade sport climbing or boudering. For trad they rule.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook