Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ohio!! :)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dontmaytagme

Mar 29, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Ohio!! :)  (Australasia: Australia: South_Australia: Adelaide: Pelican_Plaza: eds_outcrop)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What would it take the OCA (Ohio Climbers Assoc) to get a few good people to help in *the* cause. Access and etc. Just throw a few ideas out..

ubiestmea

Mar 29, 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #2 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ohio!! :) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've not been very impressed with the OCA since I joined a few months back. :(

dontmaytagme

Apr 24, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #3 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="ubiestmea"]I've not been very impressed with the OCA since I joined a few months back. :(
Ok. You've made a statement. But, what have you really said? The OCA needs feedback from the populace.

ja.

stonefoxgirl

May 3, 2005, 5:50 PM
Post #4 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocks... :lol:
ok, I thought it was funny, I mean really, what did you expect?

jkornelis

May 3, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #5 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How is the access to the Springfield "clear view" crag coming? Any luck negotiating with the Masonic Temple to gain access again? I would really like to start climbing there again. And second what about access to Clifton Gorge in Greene County?

Note: I am willing to help on some of these since I am close to the area.

ubiestmea

May 3, 2005, 6:19 PM
Post #6 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have given feedback to the OCA and received the same reply.......(silence) :?

runningclimber

May 3, 2005, 6:58 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am new to NE Ohio and would love to get involved in a climbers' group. When I checked the OCA website after first moving here, it didn't look like it had been updated in a while. Anyone know it there are there any events currently scheduled?

thebridge

May 3, 2005, 11:07 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I too would love to get involved in a climber's group. But like you RC I was not at all impressed with the OCA website. I got the distinct impression that the thing hadn't been updated in quite awhile. I check back every so often but it's always the same. I think it would be great if they could get the forum up and running though.

Anyway just my two cents.

runningclimber

May 4, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess it is probably difficult to build a cohesive climbing community in an area that is not known for stellar rock. It seems like most people I have met either head down to the Red or the New.

I wonder what the organization needs...more leadership? More money? Membership fees are only $10 a person...I can't imagine they are generating substantial revenue from the membership base.

stonefoxgirl

May 4, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JA
Where are you with gaining access and detailed attention to areas in Ohio?
I know we have had brainstorming discussions about a few areas but I haven't seen or heard. Has there been progress??? Would it be possible to start a "secret climbers club". More or less a group of people, devoted to the sport or an activity (outdoors). We can meet once a month to clean and discuss progress and run trips to neighboring states, throughout Ohio, etc. Less talk more activism. I think as a group we could get things done.

dontmaytagme

May 8, 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #11 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The OCA though, yeah.. they don't truly talk.. and if they do.. they don't say much. If it is typewritten.. ugh.. ignore the spelling and grammar problems, someone has not used of spellcheck. I won't say who that is though.. Misspelling a quartely publication. WTF. :evil:

I'll be out and more active than I have been recently.. this semester has killed me. That said.. I've generated some enthusiasm among the local people that I climb with.. and the benefits should be reaped for the Ohio populace. There should be an 80' area opened.. and another two ~40' area's. :)

I have been taking the less talk more activism route.. but, as you specifically know.. people don't like to share area's. If other people that I do not regularly climb with don't tell me about area's.. then the populace is kinda "/screwed/", with the exception of the social microcosm that knows of the area.

The main problem that I am having now, is not the private land owners.. it is climbers. People either do dumb things like place bolts on private land, without speaking first.. or climbers that are too 'cliquey' and would rather climb on private land, do something stoopid.. like trying to climb on private land with an illegal access policy, get caught, and ruin it for the others. I can name three places specifically in NE Ohio where this has occurred. :roll:

I've read this over for clarity, and that in the event, that there is a problem, I'll plead the 1st, 4th, 5th and 14th admendments. :lol:

ubiestmea

May 8, 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #12 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You got a quarterly pub. ?! :shock: Glad I paid to become a member!

stonefoxgirl

May 11, 2005, 4:40 PM
Post #13 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JA
A little confused.
What publication?
If it is me, I apologize for my grammar and mispelling, if not, I still apologize.
Who's hiding secret climbing areas?
What are we doing about the ones you have mentioned?
Thanks
LzzL

stonefoxgirl

Jun 16, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #14 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like this OCA site got just as far as the other one!
Off to my secret crag to boulder my little heart out =)

dontmaytagme

Jul 5, 2005, 2:44 AM
Post #15 of 15 (5001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BOOM.

As for me.. i've met many personal land managers in NE Ohio, and, well, Ohio. I'm working with a few for caving, through the NCA and their broker; and for climbing. A few private people that see the "wasted" situation and a few companies that are willing to let climbers clean off the ledges.

Hell. I just drove 160 miles to, SHOCK, western Ohio? to meet with people and preliminarily test/see if 100' of escarpment would be worthwile. Oh, and its, Limestone. However, the 15 pound piece that i have donated to my parents is a ~limestone perhaps. Quite and oddity. Geology is not a class that I've chosen to take, so i dont truly know what it is. Though, it looks aesthetically pleasing.

I can only do so much, i think that i am echoing climbhigh and the sentiments he expresses on the "situation", these thoughts can be found elsewhere on rc.

I can only work on places and locales that the people, either climbers themselves or the land "owners" are willing to work with. Nearly, every single climber that I have met from Ohio is more than willing to help out. I've even had my ear turn warm to the touch because of the cell phone after talking hours to fellow climbers. Those that are a cohesive unit that is ~closed, ie. a clique, is really annoying, not to mention that having them unwilling to share "secret crag" info is something else entirely. I've tried to work with them or around them, but like i have written elsewhere, what else can i do? Maybe if I become more trendy.. or.. as one person told me, a "pompous aristocrat". (Is that redundant?)

If I write anymore it will likely become delineated and box worthy, falling into the genre of psychobabble. Thus, I'll stop now.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook