RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

codhands

Apr 27, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #1 of 19 (6021 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by codhands
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

tejz

Apr 29, 2005, 5:45 AM
Post #2 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Funny People. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to learn about bolting routes I would post your question in a different forum

treez

May 2, 2005, 1:59 AM
Post #3 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This route has been led on gear 4 times now by three people. We have named it clifflash. The route that ends at the original tree anchor is a pretty hard 5.9. It probably seems hard because of the 16 foot run-out at the very top on a .75 camalot. Another route was partially cleaned and climbed on TR to the right. It will possibly need some bolts. Clifflash does not need any bolts, just balls, a helmet, and a prayer. The tree works great at the top. Please take your gear home with you at night.

codhands

May 2, 2005, 3:48 AM
Post #4 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks E. I know that tree is stout. I was worried about the 1' thick slab fracture kinda hangin' there on climber side of tree. I figured if the wind didn't shake it loose a toprope climber taking a fall probably wouldn't but got ugly visions dancin' through my head, "Rock!" I would feel better having a couple of nice bolts and some chain hanging on an unfractured piece of rock, but I will trust the voices of experience and leave well enough alone. thnx! cs

treez

May 2, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #5 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey cod- Thanks again for all your work cleaning the rock. I wasn't talking about the brushes as far as leaving gear. They are nice to have around. It's the pre-placed pro that might diminish the experience for some people. It sure is an exciting lead. I wonder if it is private property. Hopefully we can keep access. EVERYONE BE QUIET UP THERE.
Later- E

dingus

May 2, 2005, 3:17 PM
Post #6 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wonder if it is private property. Hopefully we can keep access. EVERYONE BE QUIET UP THERE.
Later- E

That's pretty funny, reading this on an international rock climbing forum. Maybe if you wanted it kept quiet you should have, um, kept it quiet?

No worries, no skin off the backs of my hands.

Cheers
DMT

codhands

May 2, 2005, 6:45 PM
Post #7 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Treez [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did you guys lead it up through that crack at the top of the roof or over on the left side by those jugs?

treez

May 3, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #8 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cod- All leads have utilized the jugs, but the upper point of the roof has good pro. I'll probably try that next time.

Dingus- You probably don't realize that our town has no roads in or out. There is a very small group of regular outdoor climbers. They all knew about the climb within a few days anyway. These are the people I was reminding to be quiet. If anyone wants to fork over huge transpo money to come climb our new 60' 5.9 trad route, we'd be honored, but I don't expect droves. Later.

codhands

May 3, 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #9 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Re: People. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus- Also by being quiet he was actually talking about yelling, hollerin' generally carrying on. This spot is literally 150' from someones porch. You know how people get about their privacy. cs

treez

May 3, 2005, 4:36 AM
Post #10 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You don't really need the #2s.

Down low there is a girth-hitchable rock formation that is crazy.

Partner hosh

May 3, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #11 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trEez- is that rock solid enough to hold gear on a lead fall? WHen I checked it out, seemed a little soft-ish. Havn't climbed it yet though, just wondering. I'd like to try an on-site lead if the rock is good enough... your thoughts?

and another thing, you still up for bolting at Fritz Cove :?: I'd be happy to mark the mank bolt with a grease pencil or something if you'd like.

thanks, PM me about it.

hosh.

tejz

May 3, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #12 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Treez bounce tested the girth hitched rock and it held, it cant be that soft

treez

May 4, 2005, 2:04 AM
Post #13 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes indeed. If a 3/4 inch diameter "threaded post" of rock could withstand the shockloading I gave it, I think the rock is solid enough.
I say go for it. The moves are well within your abilities. I'd give you more details, but don't want to blow it for you. Checkout the boulder on the trail up there. We cleaned that too. It has some cool holds and moves. The sitstart heelhook on the left is hard. Later

treez

May 5, 2005, 7:22 PM
Post #14 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Very interesting. With more intensive cleaning, the "hard" section of this climb has gotten significantly easier. That's too bad. Still a little run-out on top, but not quite as exciting. later

Partner hosh

May 9, 2005, 3:28 AM
Post #15 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flashed it on lead on saturday. I'd be willing to say 5.9 R. any seconds? pretty much any fall on that line would be ugly. And on TR I went straight up over the roof, using the finger locks, and I think it would be leadable that way, but I took 3 falls trying it. I don't know how solid the gear would be and I'm still a little apprehensive about the rock quality. if you pull straight up over the roof, there's a mono that you can use, but it's a little bit of a challenge, as there's no real good feet unless you can get the left real high. I'd be pretty excited to hear about the other variations you're talking about.

hosh.

codhands

May 9, 2005, 5:45 PM
Post #16 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What kinda rock ya'll think this is. I think it's some kinda limestone, iknow there are pockets of it throughout SE. I gues it's time to break out the old high school geology "Mohs Scale of Hardness" knowledge. cs

Partner hosh

Feb 19, 2006, 3:46 AM
Post #17 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Downtown Juneau Stuff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry to resurrect an old, dead thread, but the line at the top has finally been climbed, by "DJtheKID". He took a few small falls on TR, but finished it. Cliff's been gracious enough to let DJ name it, though he's working on a good name (names are forever, you know...) Also, Tejz, any or trEez, any chance you guys have a bolting kit? there are a few places that could use a little lovin'. Aren't you going to be back in town soon, Tejz? That's the word on the street... (your mom told me).

hosh.

tejz

Feb 20, 2006, 7:27 AM
Post #18 of 19 (6019 views)
Shortcut

Re: Downtown Juneau Stuff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PMing you....

bph_ak

Dec 30, 2007, 2:04 AM
Post #19 of 19 (3063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tejz] Downtown Juneau Stuff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've done this route on lead, on gear and regretted it. It was a fun route, but a worthless risk on gear. If you want to have some 'excitement' in 60' of alright climbing, go for it, lead on. Otherwise, I think shiny anchor bolts at the very least would be the best. I think macho pride is a silly thing to have, especially on such a low reward climb. This wall has some excellent potential for sport climbing-if the purists aren't too attached to the little crag. Maybe we should consider a few bolts to open it up to some new climbers.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook