trash talking sportsplex
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

pabxilla

May 2, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #1 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

trash talking sportsplex  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: St__George_Area_Crags: Black_Rocks: Sunny_Side)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey joe.
I have supported the barn for meny years and will continue to. I dont appreciate you trash talking sportsplex and me. I have been climbing for many years and dont claim to know it all but i have climbed all over north america and have faired well to this point.

from joe----Sports Complex West SUCKS!!!!!! Auto belay system, and $17 for a day climb. The people running the show know nothing about real climbing. (at least the people I met working there)\

I know its expensive but you get to climb on a wall thats not made from particle wood. There are three lead routes and some descent bouldering routes. Next time you want to let me know how much I suck let me know in a personal email and dont let it be public. Rob Johnson SPW
rob@centraiiowaadventures.com

photon

May 3, 2005, 2:54 PM
Post #2 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Re: trash talking sportsplex [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your prices definitely suck, for what you are advertising.. I don't see where he was specifically saying you suck, maybe you know that you suck and you don't want anyone else to be aware of this? Information like this should not be hidden from all 5 people who care about gym climbing in Iowa.

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 3:13 PM
Post #3 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right, by your high standards i probably do suck. I am the climbing director there and unfortunately i dont have anything to do with the prices. there is also a heater there. i know i sound like a wus but i enjoy plastic more when its warm. by the way are you from iowa.

glyrocks

May 3, 2005, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

he's from jesusland

wwjd?

photon

May 3, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #5 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, so whoever sets your prices sucks. what hi standards are you referring to?

veganboyjosh

May 3, 2005, 3:52 PM
Post #6 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

17 bucks a day for 3 lead routes? i hope it's not crowded.

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #7 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess the high standards i am refering to are the ones set that qualify me in the "suck" catagory. I have coached 7 youth to bouldering nationals and have enjoyed climbing all over north america in the moderate level for years. i have done hundereds of routes from 5.6 to 5.11+ and enjoyed each of them the same. I absolutely embrace my "suckyness" and cant wait to get on another scary 5.8 and have a great day of climbing. Where is jesusland? must be north Missouri?

photon

May 3, 2005, 4:07 PM
Post #8 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you don't seem to have a sense of humor or understand sarcasm i'd say that puts you in the suck category. As for climbing ability could care less

scottquig

May 3, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #9 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your climbing/teaching ability has nothing to do with how much most visitors will enjoy the gym. Those prices are VERY expensive. Decisions the management makes reflects you as a staff member, so it is your responsibility to fix those crazy prices. Go talk to somebody about it. Don't just sit on here and whine about how your gym sucks but it's not your fault. Shit, man. Get ahold of yourself!

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #10 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are all right, i am doing a lot of complaining. 15$ is a lot of money to climb. Although thats about average for a great gym in the US. SportsPlex is an average gym at best and the owners dont know anything about climbing. I have done my best to make it an average place to climb in a city that has nothing. yet.

climb_in

May 3, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #11 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can see how the OP could get a little emotional about things people say about his facility. when i was the assistant manager of a gym i put so much of myself into everything i did at the gym, it was hard not to take criticism of the gym personally. in a perfect world this grievance would have been handled face-to-face in a more mature manner, but we all know it's not a perfect world.

that being said, does sportsplex have a foundation of "regulars" that could offer feedback on the place? almost like a focus-group, they could ask these people what's working and what's not working. things like day-pass fees, setting of routes, locker rooms appearance, yadda-yadda. . .

OP, try not to take it so personally when someone blasts your place. instead of seeing it as an attack on you, use it as constructive criticism to make your facility that much better.

my two cents

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are right. There is not a core group of climbers, as i know its expensive to climb there. It is geared towards kiddies although there are some hard routes and such. The owners dont care about us poor climbers. (they see it as a buisness) I only climb there because i was the first person to ask for a job when i saw they knew nothing about climbing. I am just bummed about the personal attack from a someone saying that the place SUCKS!!!!!!!!
The Plex is not great and for a hard core climber it prob not your place unless you are rich and live in the Burbs.

Partner j_ung

May 3, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #13 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Next time you want to let me know how much I suck let me know in a personal email and dont let it be public. Rob Johnson SPW
rob@centraiiowaadventures.com

Good point, and I think, the point of the thread. I don't spend time in Iowa, so I don't really care how many routes you have or how much it costs to climb there. I do, however, wish people would bring their insults up face to face or at least directly, instead of cowering behind anonymous computer screens.

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 5:11 PM
Post #14 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems that i have too much free time and need to stop eating cupcakes. Thanks for the replies. I did not know that this was such an interesting topic to everyone. I know that the first quote that i was responding to was not directed at me. (i hope) if it was i am just a little sensitive as i have to live in an environment governed by W. Iowa climbing is good. iowa climbers are better. if we could just get rid of nebraska

aulwes

May 3, 2005, 5:14 PM
Post #15 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pabxilla,

Did you notice the date when I posted the messages? At that time there wasn't a bouldering wall, there was no lead climbing, before you ever had a climbing comp, and the prices were 17.00 plus tax.

Since then you guys have lowered the prices offered a monthly membership, and I have posted on this site that the Monthly price is compairable to the monthly price at walnut creek.

I have climbed at SportsPlex since you lowered the price, if you hadn't I would have never returned ($12 if you don't want to boulder). Also $40 is a very reasonable monthly fee. Congratulations! you have improved you gym since my first visit. Sorry if I offended you I was only expressing my opinion of the gym, and it has changed over this last year.

Let it be know that I enjoyed your winter climbing comp. I also help to advertise your climbing comp. I'm glad to see that you guys are having comps they are fun and a great way to meet people.

Joe

aulwes

May 3, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #16 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pabxilla,

Did you notice the date when I posted the messages? At that time there wasn't a bouldering wall, there was no lead climbing, before you ever had a climbing comp, and the prices were 17.00 plus tax.

Since then you guys have lowered the prices offered a monthly membership, and I have posted on this site that the Monthly price is compairable to the monthly price at walnut creek.

I have climbed at SportsPlex since you lowered the price, if you hadn't I would have never returned ($12 if you don't want to boulder). Also $40 is a very reasonable monthly fee. Congratulations! you have improved you gym since my first visit. Sorry if I offended you I was only expressing my opinion of the gym, and it has changed over this last year.

Let it be know that I enjoyed your winter climbing comp. I also help to advertise your climbing comp. I'm glad to see that you guys are having comps they are fun and a great way to meet people.

Joe

pabxilla

May 3, 2005, 5:28 PM
Post #17 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe,
you rule. i am new at this and did not check the date. i feel like a donkey. but i know you will forgive me. let me know when you want to climb. I want to check out the bridge pillars some time. do you have any non bouldering trips planned this summer. This tipic got some people riled up. anywho, hows things, Rob

jdouble

May 3, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #18 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love a happy ending. :D

lexmark

May 4, 2005, 3:25 AM
Post #19 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never been to SCW, but I can't believe its any better than the wall on the midway at the state fair. Sure, the SF wall only has one good route, but you can net $43.00 a year for pulling a one-move, slopey, high-step and it only takes 15-30 seconds. There is even a loud buzzer on top to show-off for the crowds. Mix in some Iowa cornbreds flaunting their belly jiggle while waiting for the Clay Aiekn concert (Pancho nearby with his reflective shades) and Joe Liebermann sucking doown deep fried Twinkies and you've got a climbing paaaarty.

Got any of that a SCW? Didn't think so.

BTW Photon lives in the deepest part of the Ice Cave at P.R.

pabxilla

May 4, 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #20 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We dont have any of that but if you go on the right night of the week there is the Iowa Elite volleyball team practicing. If you are into that kind of thing its great. of course i am too old but it you are under 23 its heaven, so i've heard. :twisted:

photon

May 4, 2005, 3:41 PM
Post #21 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lexmark can also be found at PR in the deepest part of the outhouse cave
be careful where you are aiming folks

pabxilla

May 4, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #22 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. Photon
you have a great sence of humor and are a rad climber im sure. Why do you bring politics and religion into a sport that is doing well with out it.
just curious

aulwes

May 4, 2005, 4:49 PM
Post #23 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that quote is so funny.

In reply to:
welcome to jesusland where we vote pro war and pro life

I forgive him for keeping "Outdoor" a secrect because he is so funny. :wink:

lexmark

May 4, 2005, 9:19 PM
Post #24 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Mr. Photon
you have a great sence of humor and are a rad climber im sure. Why do you bring politics and religion into a sport that is doing well with out it.
just curious

First, he prefers to be called MR. Pictured Rocks, not Mr. Photon. He also goes by Captain Calculator, Big Purp, and Indian "Bluff Daddy"

Second, I'm pretty sure his sig has been there since the election. At that time these boards were certainly not "doing without" politics and religion.

Third, quit talking about gym climbing. Has anyone been outside lately? The gym "season" is over (has been since mid-Feb.) and any inside climbing should be done with great shame.

Fourth, damn you quote function. Work!!

lexmark

May 4, 2005, 9:21 PM
Post #25 of 30 (6037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Double post.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook