RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

kingjawsh

May 10, 2005, 1:45 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

wierd shoulder pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok so i've been climbin for a like over and year and i pull about V8... i usually train pretty hard but lately my shoulder has been really soar... has kinda of grinding feeling to it and the pain is in the front part of the socket... anyone have any idea how i can make this go away?.. thanx

jkornelis

May 10, 2005, 2:01 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Re: wierd shoulder pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had similar symptoms. I was diagnosed with Shoulder Bursitis. http://orthopedics.about.com/...f/a/shbursitis_2.htm

gnarled_hands

May 10, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had this same problem when I was bouldering a lot (pre mountain bike injury). When I had this type of pain, I would press on my shoulder (to the rear) and it would make the pain go away briefly. I also felt that push-ups would help it.

The fact that you have only been climbing a year and are already climbing V8 is one factor. Training hard without developing opposing stabilizer muscles can lead to shoulder instability. If you feel a grinding sensation in the front of your shoulder it may be wise to do rotator cuff strengthening exercises (Google it). This is what most professionals will check for when any instability/pain is occurring.

I'll bet (provided you haven't dislocated your shoulder) some rotator cuff strengthening would help that pain go away.

david_frazier

May 10, 2005, 4:09 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your pain persists after rest (2 weeks), ice and anti-inflammatories then you should go see your doctor. The shoulder is a very complicated joint and catching serious problems early is essential to full recovery. The other advice about strengthening the rotator cuff is good advice, it is very easy in climbing to develop disproportionate muscle development especially if you concentrate on specific types of climbing.

David

aimeerose

May 10, 2005, 7:26 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.climbinginjuries.com

Partner pbcowboy77

May 10, 2005, 7:37 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I had similar symptoms. I was diagnosed with Shoulder Bursitis. http://orthopedics.about.com/...f/a/shbursitis_2.htm

I've got it too. It sounds like Bursitis. The way I get around it is take a few Advil before climbing and usally there is no pain. But the days I forget to my shoulder kills me.

aimeerose

May 11, 2005, 5:48 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bursitis usually results in lateral (side) shoulder pain. Anterior (front) shoulder pain tends to be more rotator cuff orientated. Therefore, you may have impingement, in which case rotator cuff exercises would help, if your rotator cuff muscles are not irritated. Also, scapular retraction (rows) and pectoral stretches would be good.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook