RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

iceisnice

May 10, 2005, 6:04 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Econoledge by Fish Products???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone used or know about the new econoledge from fish products? it is a simple design at a much reduced cost from most portaledges. it is around $200. Fish mentions the reasons why it is so cheap and most of those reasons i can deal with. just curious if it is a good ledge or not.

iceisnice

May 10, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Re: Econoledge by Fish Products??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i was thinking about trying to make my own fly to add to it. at least getting the material and taking to professional and having them sew it up. with that added it could be used for a lot more i think. i'm planning on getting pretty deep into wall climbing so its gonna get used a lot. i just don't want to spend $600 right now.

iceisnice

May 10, 2005, 11:02 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was thinking about trying to make my own fly to add to it. at least getting the material and taking to professional and having them sew it up. with that added it could be used for a lot more i think. i'm planning on getting pretty deep into wall climbing so its gonna get used a lot. i just don't want to spend $600 right now.

pmyche

May 10, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's cool--I applaude resourcefulness.

But as long as you're in for the long haul, I'd reco to cut your time losses and get ahead of the learning curve by getting time-tested gear before it gets even more expensive. Every time I make something I could have coughed up for, it takes more time than made it worth the less dough. And every time I've bitten the bullet, it's hurt at face value but paid incredible dividends on the wall. Power to ya, man...see you up there with your duct tape = D

sa

May 10, 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #5 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought an Econoledge about three months ago and, at the time, Russ told me he was working on a no-frills fly that would be priced in the $150.00 range. Call and ask him if he's still working on it and let us know what you find out. I, too, would love to have a fly for my ledge.

mikeehartley

May 11, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought an econo unit with a regular fly. Service was a might bit testy but the ledge looks bomber. Haven't used it yet - ask me after next week.

Russ is working on an econo-fly.

Also, there's usually a ledge on Ebay every couple weeks or so.

davidorchard

May 11, 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
By all I can tell, Fish is way too lazy to create work for himself by putting out some ill-tested, problematic piece of junk that he has to keep fixing every time something goes awry with it. Fish gear and service has been better than satisfactory IME.

this statement is totaly true (from what i can tell, also). I have been very happy with the fish product i own, even though it isn't a ledge.

moof

May 11, 2005, 2:41 AM
Post #8 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only spent one night in mine so far. I found it easier to setup on the wall (standing on an OK ledge though) than in my living room, maybe 3-4 minutes to deploy, another 3-4 to level it. Bomber. Comfy. Take a bivy sack. I bought a full up fly about a month ago (ledge was bought a year ago), 250 for the full 5 season fly. Now I need to stop bailinhg and get up some shit.

Fish isn't really quick to ship, as most things are made per order, but he busts his butt to stick to reasonable deadlines, and warns you when he has to slip things.

johnhenry

Jun 3, 2005, 6:10 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a great deal on a North Face ledge:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7161116899&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Cheers,
john

pmyche

Jun 3, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks to be a Superlight. I can vouch for it being one nice unit. Long sides break down into thirds, so it can sometimes fit in the haul bag. If you're over 6' tall, I wouldn't go for it, tho.

zetedog

Jun 15, 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3542 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've owned the econoledge for a season and a half now, and have maybe 6 walls on it now (7 nights sleep).

There is a thread over on supertopo about it in which Russ himself chimes in. Better descriptions there

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=56314#msg56367

Quick notes about mine:
I bought mine to replace my single that died in a car accident, so I already have a fly, tho I have never used it (walls in zion, NC and the valley in August).

The bedding is a vinyl coated mesh that is absolutely bomproof: less sag than normal bedding, super durable. It really lets the wind through, even compared to the standard. There are no down-low adjusters.

Everything else is the same as his fish 5-season ledge. I think there is no real difference in weight.

I like mine more than the regular due to the bedding: I am not afraid of dropping a knife on it and having the entire bed go, the mesh is kind of like a rip-stop.

I'd expect this to last as long, if not longer, than the standard 5-season

Todd

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook