RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

roadman33

May 12, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

How's Tucson?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey folks,

How's Tucson as far living and climbing? It looks great but I want up to date kick ass info. Cost of living, traffic, how far to the nearest crag?

I see that they are getting a trader joes, but I don't know if there's an In N out burger yet?

Thanks for any info you can give!!!!

Partner phaedrus

May 12, 2005, 3:06 AM
Post #2 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

alcyone

May 12, 2005, 4:56 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Re: How's Tucson? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are actually two trader joes, and a similar store downtown called Co-op, which is even better. There are plenty of places to climb around Tucson, the closest being Mt. Lemmon. There's also Cochise Stronghold and a few other good places within like 40 minutes. There's also a nice gym called Rocks and Ropes downtown if you're interested. Do you know where in Tucson you're planning on living? The cost of living varies, but generally is very decent. Oh, and as far as traffic goes, it's potluck since 50% of the city is constantly under construction. Hope that helps a bit, if you want more detailed info, just ask. :D Hope you enjoy living here!

climbsomething

May 12, 2005, 6:02 AM
Post #4 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We've had TJs for years. We also have a couple of co-ops, a Sunflower Market, and at least one Wild Oats. Hippie snacking ops abound.

Sadly, no In-n-Out, but we do have a Krispy Kreme.

Lemmon is a quirky place. Kinda old skool, hard to find steep stuff, and many crags have complicated approaches, even if they're only 10 minutes. It's not for everybody, and more than a handful will piss and moan about it being sandbagged. That's debatable. The pie shop at Summerhaven makes it all okay though. Apricot pie.... mmmmmmmm

(I eat a lot.)

Anyway, Lemmon is most convenient if you live on the Northeast side. I live by campus and it can take half an hour to get from my driveway to the proper parking lot. Milagrosa is by Lemmon and is much better. Milagrosa kicks ass, as long as you have steely fingers.

Real estate is on FIRE right now but if you're renting a humble shack cost of living is pretty cheap.

Just come for the apricot pie, and you won't be disappointed...

scottd

May 12, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

we're actually getting 2 In-n-Out's. They are in the process of bulding them.

Cortaro & I-10
and the
El Con Mall parking lot

I love the climbing out here. Everything you could want is here. Hard scary run-out trad to over bolted sport routes. Thousands of climbs with-in a 2 hour drive.

Come on down :D

You also never have to wait in lines for routes, cool eh?

..............On second thought, nah you don't want to come here, no climbing at all, the people and the food suck, better to stay where you are......

jcinco

May 12, 2005, 10:11 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Besides the fact that it was Walter, Donny, and the Dude's food of choice, could someone please explain to me the In-n-Out Burger phenomenon??

That stuff is a notch below Sonic, and only marginally better than Wendys.

Just curious...

However, Tucson is about 5 hours away from the best green chili cheesburger in the southwest at the Datil Guest Ranch.

potreroed

May 12, 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

After being a homeless climbing bum for over ten years I finally settled down in Mexico at El Potrero Chico. If I had stayed in the USA I would have settled in Tucson where I used to stay for a month or two every winter.

crackmd

May 12, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are the winter climbing options like in the Tucson area? I don't understand this In and Out mania either. That stuff is mediocre at best.

roadman33

May 13, 2005, 1:04 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo don't be dissing the IN N OUT burger!

No really, you guys are making me pack my van up now!!!! Really I've been packing it up, for our summer road trip, but I think it's going to be Tucson in the fall.

We will be near the University, that's where my girlfriend might be working, so I'm now wondering about how bike friendly that area is?

Can we walk to a lot of places or bike?

I'm very glad about the In N out, anyone that comes climbing with me will have to stop there after a hard route!

If anyone's interested I'm going to need partners in the fall, so here's my pick up line: I love to climb, but I really love all the stuff that comes with it, the good, the bad, the people, and of course being outside!!!!!! I've climbed for 8 years, and I'm game for anything.

tucsonclimberboy

May 13, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude Tucson is awesome! Lots of climbing around but the best has got to be Cochise Stronghold. Plus there's Gates Pass about 15 min from the university. Pretty good bouldering. You'll never have to wait in line for a climb.
Come to Tucson

akornylak

May 13, 2005, 1:45 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I miss Tucson.

climbsomething

May 13, 2005, 2:35 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like In-n-Out but can live without it. What would make my day is if Tucson got a Fazoli's. I've been wanting one of those since I moved here in 98.

Anyway, winter climbing in Tucson proper is not as good as summer climbing, IMHO. The lower-elevation rock formations on Lemmon are a bit chossier. The primo climbing tends to be concentrated above Windy Point. Milagrosa is a good winter-spring area though, and if you're desperate, the Gates Pass boulders are good winter pebbles. Cochise is excellent in the winter, too. And Hueco is only 4.5 hours away! YESSSS!!! (that's the kicker for me)

University-area houses *can* be rent-gougers, relatively, but the roachy apartments are plentiful. University-area residents can walk or ride almost anywhere they need to go. If you ride like you climb, I think you'll find a nice roadie and/or mtn biking community here to compliment your climbing.

Tucson's a nice place, really, and if I find better career opportunities after my next lease ends, I'll actually miss it!

scottd

May 13, 2005, 8:23 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, Cochise is the best place to climb in AZ. Tons of great long routes out there.

You can literally climb almost every day of the year in Tucson and the outlying areas. Don't know if I can ever bring myself to move away from here.

anothertucsonclimber

May 13, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SUMMERS SUCK, They are long and hot......Don't come to Tucson. Lemmon and Milagrosa are chosspiles. Stay away.....far away!!!!!

Gates Pass......WTF.

elvislegs

May 13, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i lived in tucson for a while. i remember eating alot of suguaro-fruit jelly, and playing jazz with my brother downtown on the street on saturday nights.

it was totally bitchin...
and pretty warm, as i recall.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook