Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
I'm going to El Chorro, but...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jsierra

May 13, 2005, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2303 views)
Shortcut

I'm going to El Chorro, but...  (Europe: Spain: Andaluc_a: El_Chorro)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to be in Spain for the summer (end of July, first half of August), and I just started climbing a few months ago (gym). It just so happens that my family lives right down the way from the area where El Chorro is (apparently there's no shortage of places to climb in the area though!) so I think it'd be great to go check it out.

What do I need to bring with me? Do I have to learn specific techniques/styles? Do I contact a guide when I'm there, or what's the usual procedure for visiting a totally new spot? I'm a total noob to climbing, but I've traveled all over creation (no problems with getting there, just don't know what to do once I'm there!) Should I go to El Chorro or would a different place be better?

Any help or advice would be muchly appreciated!

maxdacat

May 13, 2005, 7:55 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Re: I'm going to El Chorro, but... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have just come back from a trip in northern spain with this outfit:

http://www.climbcatalunya.com/

not near El Chorro but they might have some tips. Also www.ukclimbing.com might be a good site to ask the same question

jcinco

May 13, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at El Chorro for 2 days a couple summers ago in late June. There was nobody there... it was 100 degrees and a veritable ghost town. I hear its a pretty enormous scene in the cooler months. I think it would be very difficult to find a guide in mid-summer for El Chorro. Your best bet is to try to meet other climbers in the Malaga area while you're there and have them take you to their summer climbing spots.

jsierra

May 13, 2005, 8:49 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2303 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I spend a month in Spain every year, usually around the same time of year, and the south is an oven, for sure. My family lives in El Puerto De Santa Maria (near Cadiz), so I know it's easy travelling to pretty much any location in Andalucia for a little outdoor experience. I'll try contacting that UK outfit and see what they suggest, too.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook