RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

gentry

May 18, 2005, 1:38 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Protrero Chico in the Summer?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone been down there during the Summer months? I have read that is bareable to climb in the mornings and evenings? anyone know first hand how bad/bareable it is?

tradgal

May 18, 2005, 1:55 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Re: Protrero Chico in the Summer? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not been there in the dead of summer, but I was down mid-october. And it was defnitely a little too hot for my liking some days. We climbed all morning, had a mid-day cervesa and siesta , then climbed in the evening. When you are in the shaded canyons, it is definitely cooler, but summer may be a bit unbearable in my opinion. Not to mention bugs and the town may resemble a bit of a ghost town.

gblauer

May 18, 2005, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not been there in the summer, but, according to Potreoed (you can PM him) EPC is very climbable in the summer. From what he told me climbers climb early in the AM, take a "siesta" during the mid day and then climb again in the afternoon to late evening.

There are plenty of canyons/climbs that are shady.

I was there in March when the temps hit over 90 degrees. It was really really pleasant in the shade. (The walk to the potrero was a little hot).

I would go there in a heartbeat in the summer time. The only thing that I would worry about is bringing lots and lots of water/gatorade and critters.
Critters you ask? Well, I hate bugs and such and I understand that after March the potrero comes alive with scorpians, spiders (big ulgy hair spiders) and centipedes. When I go during the winter those guys are still hibernating.
Have fun!

nobody

May 18, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been there in May (not quite full summer) and agree that it's climbable in the mornings and evenings. Stay off longer routes to avoid mid-day exposure.

The place was virtually empty, which I liked. A few gringos from just over the border would show up on weekends, but midweek it was just me & partner, & the few permanent gringos.

Tarantulas (or something that looked like them) and scorpians will be out in full force. Just shake out your shoes and sleeping bag regularly.

maracas

May 18, 2005, 3:04 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe or summer weather is not as different as your southern summer weather.

If you are used to outdoor summer activities, I am almost sure you will be fine.

Climb in the morning, chill from 1:30 to 4:30 (Homeroīs and Cerro Gordoīs pool help a lot for this) and go back climbing after, until 9:00 if you want.

Longer routes are difficult if you take all day on them.

Bring lighter colored shoes if you can, I find that the shoes getting REALLY hot at the black rand is the biggest problem, that and having to chalk up every other hold (bring LOTS of it).

Bring a snake kit, they are out there in the summer, sometimes you can hear them, plus the usual centipedes.

But, from experience, it is nothing you canīt take, we climb there or in El Salto the whole summer, and the walls are empty, so no lineup what so ever (except for locals but we canīt fill Potrero up).

gentry

May 19, 2005, 1:56 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is finding partners tough in the summer?

maracas

May 19, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That might prove more difficult.

But, for example, one of my friends is staying two weeks there, starting last saturday, another one is going to stay for a month in june.

During saturday and sunday you should not have a problem, plus there are 3 or 4 local (Hidalgo) boys that you might find, for that you must ask PotreroEd, he knows them and thaught them how to climb.

8flood8

May 22, 2005, 1:12 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hehe...

i went over easter 2 years ago and it was so freaking hot we had to chill out in one of the caves for 2 hours after our class 3 approach with gear on. it was SO freaking hot. My buddies tell me that el salto is an oasis during the summer. I think its a bit harder to climb in el salto tho heheh.
Also had a friend who recently reached up to clip the anchors of a climb and pulled his hand out with a baby rattlesnake attached to it. Be careful!

nsintros

May 22, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there in August and it was mid 90's every day. it was still climbable just stay in the shade like everyone has said. Take a good break mid day, eat some tacos and drink some beer and rest up for the evening.

I didn't see one scorpion, snake or large spider while i was there. TONS of centipedes and millipedes. From what I understand the flatish blueish centipedes bite packs a real punch.

As far as partners go there were 3 guys from Texas and the guys that live there permenently.

jaybird2

Jun 11, 2005, 1:52 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you stuck living down there for the summer? If not, why the heck would you choose to go THERE in the summer? I am just gonna assume you are living there. In that case, have fun with the sweatfests.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook