First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

arrettinator

May 20, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #1 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Women in the Military
Report this Post
Can't Post

Women in the military would be barred from serving in direct ground combat roles, under a House bill that sets Defense Department policy and spending plans for the upcoming budget year.
http://www.cnn.com/...combat.ap/index.html

Your thoughts?

Partner taualum23

May 20, 2005, 3:53 PM
Post #2 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: Women in the Military [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dayum. The womin folks have no buzness on the fightin feeld. Theyum shud bin up in the kichin makin foods for them soljers.

Partner wideguy

May 20, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #3 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but wouldn't this just be a continuation of existing policy. Women are currently barred from ground combat duty and flying fighters in combat but they can serve at or near the front line in support positions.

Right?

madriver

May 20, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #4 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think more mud wrestling pic portfolios would be a great reccruitment tool.....

arrettinator

May 20, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #5 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Forgive me if I'm mistaken but wouldn't this just be a continuation of existing policy. Women are currently barred from ground combat duty and flying fighters in combat but they can serve at or near the front line in support positions.

Right?
This would bar them from those positions.

Partner wideguy

May 20, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #6 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Right?
This would bar them from those positions.

In reply to:
Women in the military would be barred from serving in direct ground combat roles, under a House bill that sets Defense Department policy and spending plans for the upcoming budget year...

The language would put into law a Pentagon policy from 1994 that prohibits female troops in all four service branches from serving in units below brigade level whose primary mission is direct ground combat.
The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps currently operate under a 10-year-old policy that prohibits women from "direct combat on the ground"

Again, sounds like putting into law a policy the military has already been operating under for over 10 years now.

arrettinator

May 20, 2005, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps currently operate under a 10-year-old policy that prohibits women from "direct combat on the ground" but allows the services discretion to open some jobs to women in combat as needed.

The issue arose last week, when Republicans, at the behest of Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter, R-California, added a provision that would have banned women from being assigned to "forward support companies."

Those units provide infantry, armor and artillery units with equipment, ammunition, maintenance and other supplies in combat zones. The Army started allowing women to staff such support posts last year and says it is complying with the 1994 policy.

Partner wideguy

May 20, 2005, 5:42 PM
Post #8 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps currently operate under a 10-year-old policy that prohibits women from "direct combat on the ground" but allows the services discretion to open some jobs to women in combat as needed.

The issue arose last week, when Republicans, at the behest of Committee Chairman Duncan Hunter, R-California, added a provision that would have banned women from being assigned to "forward support companies."

Key words "would have", re: didn't. Instead, to prevent that from happening they passed a bill that passes into law the current 10 yr. old policy established under Clinton.

From a NYTimes article on the same bill...
In reply to:
WASHINGTON, May 19 - Women may continue to serve in Army units supporting ground combat forces under legislation approved early Thursday by the House Armed Services Committee, but the Pentagon would need Congressional approval to open any additional jobs to women in combat zones.

The compromise amendment gave a partial victory to both sides in a debate over the role of women in Iraq and other war zones.

The amendment's sponsor stripped language from the bill that would have barred women from jobs that provide a variety of supply, logistical and other support to frontline troops. There are now about 22,000 positions open to women in those "forward support companies."

However, the pentagon is still opposed to the bill. They feel that making the policy into law makes it too difficult for the Pentagon to change their strategy if sometime in the future they decide the current policy is no longer in the military's best interest.

republiclimber

May 21, 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #9 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my old drill sgt once told me the reason women aren't allowed in a combat mos. i'll tell you if you want to know.

reno

May 22, 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #10 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
my old drill sgt once told me the reason women aren't allowed in a combat mos. i'll tell you if you want to know.

There are two "real reasons" that I know of. What's yours?

republiclimber

May 23, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #11 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

take it as you will but it made sense to me:
he said the bottom line reason was hygiene. a guy soldier can be filthy and disgusting for weeks at a time without it being a problem..may get a rash or something but the sustained filth won't harm his combat effectiveness. A woman has certain things that need to be dealt with and don't react well to being constantly in a dirty and seriously funky enviro. instead of just a rash or sore the female soldier could develop something that would make her combat ineffective. that being said don't for one second think that a lot of the spec ops don't have females in their ranks. females have a place on the battle field, just not wholesale like men.

jpearl

May 23, 2005, 4:24 AM
Post #12 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Dayum. The womin folks have no buzness on the fightin feeld. Theyum shud bin up in the kichin makin foods for them soljers.

Now c'mon Taulum23. I gots me a womin, and you gots you a womin, 'n allz I know is that if my womin ever caught me talking like that, she'd kick the holy crap out of me like a full-fledged green berret taking down a punk-ass Iraqi insurgent! (no offense to punks, of course)

So dude, when are we going climbing? Do you wanna do a Sunday at GoVertical? We can bring the womin also.

reno

May 23, 2005, 4:25 AM
Post #13 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
he said the bottom line reason was hygiene.

That's what I've heard and read as well (one of the reasons.)

The other, and I don't necessarily agree with it, is one of mindset: Women *as a generality* tend to be more nurturing than men, and some studies have shown this to manifest itself as a lower level of aggressiveness.

I am not sure if I buy this argument, but it's one reason the big green machine is reluctant to allow women in front line, primary combat roles. Or, so sayeth a half-dozen retired military folks I've talked too over the years.

republiclimber

May 23, 2005, 5:08 AM
Post #14 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

with regard to the mindset idea, what i understood was that it was not womens ability to be tough but rather the mindset of the men that they need to protect and guard the women from certain things. this mindset of protection hampers their ability to carry out their mission or make tactically wise decisions. i'll ask them down at Bragg, i'm suppose to train there for about 12 weeks or so starting in just a few days. gettin ready for our rotation downrange in '07. 8^)

clausti

May 23, 2005, 5:20 AM
Post #15 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
with regard to the mindset idea, what i understood was that it was not womens ability to be tough but rather the mindset of the men that they need to protect and guard the women from certain things.

this is the "real" reason i have always heard as well.

reno

May 23, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #16 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
with regard to the mindset idea, what i understood was that it was not womens ability to be tough but rather the mindset of the men that they need to protect and guard the women from certain things. this mindset of protection hampers their ability to carry out their mission or make tactically wise decisions. i'll ask them down at Bragg, i'm suppose to train there for about 12 weeks or so starting in just a few days. gettin ready for our rotation downrange in '07. 8^)

Hadn't heard that explanation before, but it certainly makes a degree of sense.

Let us know what you hear at Bragg, would ya? It'll be interesting to get the input of the current crop of military folks.

republiclimber

May 23, 2005, 6:47 AM
Post #17 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when/if i go to bragg i doubt i'll have access to the net, but i'll see what i can do...

anykineclimb

May 23, 2005, 8:02 AM
Post #18 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Women are already fly fighter aircraft and helicopters.

they're actually more suited to todays aircraft due to being better multitaskers than men.

jcshaggy

May 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
Post #19 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really have a view on whether women should or shouldn't be allowed into combat. The only problem with the whole issue is that although women are only allowed in combat support roles, this still puts them in the firing line in Iraq. There is no front line in any insurgency.

wingnut

May 23, 2005, 1:20 PM
Post #20 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here's a dumb military story:

after 2 women officers were denied the combat infantryman's badge for their role in the invasion of panama, a spokesman for the army said (displaying army logic),

"We have a combat exclusion policy for women, but that doesn't mean women are excluded from combat"

Partner tradman

May 23, 2005, 2:09 PM
Post #21 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand.

Aren't there entry requirements and selection procedures for the military?

If a woman is capable of passing the tests and conducting herself in an appropriate manner, shouldn't she be allowed to serve on the front line?

Similarly, if some men are unable to discharge their duties effectively with women around, shouldn't they be excluded from them?

:?

Partner wideguy

May 23, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #22 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My only comment is and has always been that they should establish minimum standards for combat duty and ANYONE who meets them can serve. Shoot a minimum score. Be able to drag a 200lb. injured combatant 50 yrds unassisted. Carry X amount for X miles in a backpack.
Actually take the time and effort to establish a baseline of physical and mental ability that is considered the minimum for combat and anyone who passes that gets a gun.

Little story. Back in 1992 my brother graduated Parris Island. We went down to see him graduate and the day before graduation we took a tour that gave a glimpse into all the training, lead by the most dead-pan corporal you've ever met. Along the way he'd point out the various reqirements.
"this is the rifle range. Your recruit must score a minimum of 275 out of 300 points or he does not graduate...This is the PT area, your recruit must be able to perform X pull-ups, x pushups and x situps or he does not graduate..."
When we got to the back woods bivouac area, what is now known as the crucible, he said "Out here your recruits will spend 10 days where we will test them on everything they have learned. If they do not perform they do not graduate. " Along the way we passed a large concrete pad with 18 or 20 shower heads sticking up striaght into the air. Each shower was fed by one pipe, one valve, one temperature. "During his 10 days all male recruits are allowed one shower here." Then some bright bulb said, "Wait, you said Male recruits. The women don't get showers? "
To which he replied "No ma'am. " And he gestured to a building to our left. "Female recruits are allowed a shower every day in this building. Inside they have both hot AND cold water and they have individual private shower stalls."
"That's doesn't sound very fair," said the woman.
The corporal broke form, smiled for the first time and said, "No ma'am it doesn't, does it?"

Not that there aren't plenty of women who could do just fine if treated just like the men, female problems or not, our big wall women prove that is not an issue. But the people who make the laws and tell the military what to do don't like the idea of America's "Little girls" being forced to pee in the woods and being dirty and shot at and such. So the military training procedures for men and women are different. Different PT requirments, different training treatments mandated by the Pentagon to appease the sqeamish.

So, until those to things change, until women are trained exactly like men, and people stop looking at women in the service as little girls who need extra protection, then people will continue to oppose women in direct combat.

clausti

May 23, 2005, 3:46 PM
Post #23 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My only comment is and has always been that they should establish minimum standards for combat duty and ANYONE who meets them can serve. Shoot a minimum score. Be able to drag a 200lb. injured combatant 50 yrds unassisted. Carry X amount for X miles in a backpack.
Actually take the time and effort to establish a baseline of physical and mental ability that is considered the minimum for combat and anyone who passes that gets a gun.

amen.

if you can hack it, you should be allowed wherever anyone else who can hack it would go.
if not, you should not be allowed to be there and endanger your comrades.

there is absolutely no reason why they should lower physical requirements for women to be in military/combat positions. its not even just about equality, but more importantly about keeping all our enlisted as safe as possible.

Me, personally... if this policy were enacted I cant see that I'd ever qualify to be in a combat position. pullups, situps, marksmanship, fine. But I dont ever see myself being able to drag a 200 lb. injured combatant anywhere. I took firefighting classes for a while, on the way to certification, and ran into the 200lb "body" situation. I couldnt move mine, and rightfully failed.

Partner wideguy

May 23, 2005, 4:00 PM
Post #24 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
amen.

if you can hack it, you should be allowed wherever anyone else who can hack it would go.
if not, you should not be allowed to be there and endanger your comrades.

there is absolutely no reason why they should lower physical requirements for women to be in military/combat positions. its not even just about equality, but more importantly about keeping all our enlisted as safe as possible.

Me, personally... if this policy were enacted I cant see that I'd ever qualify to be in a combat position. pullups, situps, marksmanship, fine. But I dont ever see myself being able to drag a 200 lb. injured combatant anywhere. I took firefighting classes for a while, on the way to certification, and ran into the 200lb "body" situation. I couldnt move mine, and rightfully failed.

Amen right back at ya! :wink:

newbierockstar

May 23, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #25 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
he said the bottom line reason was hygiene.

That's what I've heard and read as well (one of the reasons.)

The other, and I don't necessarily agree with it, is one of mindset: Women *as a generality* tend to be more nurturing than men, and some studies have shown this to manifest itself as a lower level of aggressiveness.

I am not sure if I buy this argument, but it's one reason the big green machine is reluctant to allow women in front line, primary combat roles. Or, so sayeth a half-dozen retired military folks I've talked too over the years.

...it also has to do with the draft....if they allow women to serve in all jobs in the military, they could someday be in a position where they are required to force civilian women into those billets.....it would be interesting to hear what the average American civilian would think about that....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook