RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

crshbrn84

May 24, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1669 views)
Shortcut

to sharpen your hooks
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering, how much of an angle does one want to sharpened their hooks for aiding? The hooks in question are the bd cliff hanger hook, and the bd talon hooks. I keep hearing about how its better to have a sharpened hook to bite into the rock a little more. But I'm not sure how much of a point to make, do I want it super pointed, or just a very low angle point. Does anyone have any pics they could post so I could get a general idea? Well thanks for reading.
-Kyle

aid312

May 24, 2005, 5:44 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: to sharpen your hooks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would leave the Talon's alone. As for the cliffhanger I would file them down untill you have approx 3/16-1/14 of an inch of the original tip left. Don't make them too sharp.

tomtom

May 24, 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://climbing.com/techtips/aid/ttaid234/

bringmedeath

May 25, 2005, 4:15 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, sharpen pretty much everyone. I sharpen the biggest hook on the talon, I sharpened a leeper point up. If that is the tech tip I think it is that modified cliff is really a good hook, kinda common sense if you ask me. It gives it a shape like the bigger grappling hook. Probably not need unless you are doing a bunch of hooking, but I like it better than the regular shape.

I make mine pretty sharp, this gives them really good bite on slopey edges. Too put it and into persepective, with a really sharp point you can put it on a really sloping edge, add a little duct tape and it will stay. I highly doubt this would work with a blunt or dull point. Unless you are doing F.A.s I don't think you will ever have to do hook and tape move though. Just through that out there to show how good sharp hooks are!

nedsurf

May 25, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

here on the chesapeake bay, we sharpen our hooks at a very shallow angle with the barb extremely flared out. This bites into those rock very well when we set the hook. the extra flare in the barb is because those rock have a tendancy to swim towards the line and spit the hook. for aiding try chumming a 50/50 mix of chicken and pig blood. for freeing use an extra long offshore fly pole with 15 # test. :P

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook