Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in and/or around Athens, OHIO
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

solitudeclimber

May 26, 2005, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in and/or around Athens, OHIO  (Australasia: Australia: South_Australia: Adelaide: Pelican_Plaza: eds_outcrop)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heading to Athens OH for the weekend… what is the best climbing around or within a days drive? Is it all bouldering, or is there sport nearby? Any info on rock quality, grades, topos, directions, etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Climber from SLC stranded in Mem, Tn looking to climb anything.

climbhigh23

May 26, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in and/or around Athens, OHIO [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well......the good news is that athens is close to WV. :)

there is at least one decent spot near athens, it is the hocking hill rock climbing area. it is listed in the routes DB here, with directions. it would be all bouldering/TR, as far as i know there is no sport there. no idea of grades....and the rock quality is ok, all things considered.

hope this helps.....feel free to PM or email me with more questions, i'll answer what i can. i went to school at OU, and spent a lot of time climbing in that area, but that was years ago.

bigjonnyc

May 26, 2005, 4:15 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From Athens, there is awesome climbing in the New River Gorge less than a 3 hour drive away.

telluryan

May 26, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i went to college there but it was before i was in to climbing. there is a place just past the mall there. i believe it is called Pepsi Rock. I know there is a nice handcrack there and maybe some topropes. The Ping Center athletic center has a great wall for some indoor climbin

poco_woz

May 26, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to school in Athens. There's not that much, Pepsi Rock is an option, but I've never been. Some choosy sandstone exists, but it's a bit hidden. I suggest heading to the New or the Red in Kentucky for the weekend. Rodger will be glad to have you down in Fayetteville. If you don't want to venture out of the confines of Athens, the Ping Center (OU's rec center) has a good wall. It costs about $7 or so. Enjoy Athens!

aikimac

May 26, 2005, 11:25 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't even bother with the Hocking hills, or anything else in Ohio for that matter. You can make it to the New in under 2.5 hrs from Athens, maybe 3-3.5 to Seneca Rocks for multi-pitch trad.
The NRG, in my humble opinion, is one of the finest sport crags in the country. I regularly run into people from all over the world who travel there for the climbing. Literally thousands of routes! Typically very hard, high quality sandstone. Most sport routes are on the stiff side, 5.10 and up. There are some areas with easier stuff available (like Bubba City for example). Pick up a guide book at the climbing shop in Fayetteville and have at it!

climbappalachia

Jun 2, 2005, 9:15 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Believe it or not, the bouldering in Athens is quite good if you know where to go. If your uptown ask at the Wild Mercantile gear shop for advice.

The best bouldering is at the Trailer Park Area. This is located off of East State St. Heading East on E. State turn left at the Wallmart intersection and continue back past trailers to a parking lot on the right. Follow the trail from the parking lot.

Not all of us are lucky enough to have top notch crags in out backyards.
So for those of us who don't we must take advantage of what nature has left for us instead

-chris

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.
-Dale Carnegie

rngrchad

Aug 19, 2005, 1:55 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Athens climbing.....got lots of good/ok bouldering. Anyone up for roadtrip to the new??? Pm me.
5.9/5.10 sport. 5.8 Trad.
Peace

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook