Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Lake Tahoe area climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

schveety

Jun 3, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Lake Tahoe area climbing?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: Rock_Canyon: The_Kitchen)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My boyfriend and I are heading out to California at the end of July to do some climbing and we are thinking about stopping in the Lake Tahoe area. We are into trad climbing, especially nice crack systems, with a rating between 5.7-5.9 or low 5.10. Can anyone recommend some places and climbs that we should check out, preferably places that won't be a million degrees (excuse me if this is an asinine comment, I have never been west of Colorado)????

schveety

Jun 3, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Re: Lake Tahoe area climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nevermind, I am new to this site, and completely forgot to check the other forums.............. :oops: But if there is anything missing from the other ones, let me know.

the_dude

Jun 3, 2005, 8:42 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you'll be in south south Lovers leap has a bunch in that grade and 3-4 pitches in length. It will be hot, but the cliff is in the shade in the am. Also eagle lake cliff has some of the best cracks in Tahoe, but there is basically nothing below 5.10 there and they are all 1 pitch. This place stays a bit cooler. if you'll be upa t the north shore, Black Wall on Donner pass has some great cracks, shade in the afternoon, 3 pitch routes. Snowshed gets am shade 1 ptch routes. Hpefully this helps you out a bit,
cheers

mandrake

Jun 3, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like Lovers Leap pretty much fits the bill. Tons of well-protected trad routes in 5.7 to 5.10a, at around three or so pitches with super easy approaches and descents at around 6-7K feet. We were just there on the East wall last weekend and it was pretty sweet.

It goes into the sun around noonish. So even if it's hot, you can do a 3 pitch route during the morning, go nap in the shade and then come back later and do another route.

schveety

Jun 3, 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, thanks, sounds like Lover's Leap might be our choice for a few days, and we'll hit it during the cooler times, then maybe we can head to the north shore for a few days and do something in Donner.

bugs

Jun 6, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lover's Leap and Donner are both good bets. Donner has tons of different areas, all vary in terms of sport or trad, but almost all have a mix of both. I highly recommend this book for South Lake stuff:

much better than the somewhat vague and outdated Falcon guide:

bugs

Jun 6, 2005, 4:30 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1438 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

double post-ignore

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook