Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ahimsa

Jun 4, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

2 types of climbers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so i have kind of noticed that theres like 2 kinds of climbers the hippies and the i don't kno how to identify the but like adrenalin junkies who are in to rap or hip hop and all nonetheless both climbers non better then the other kind i just found this kind of intresting any comments? do you see any other differences in the 2 kinds?

kriso9tails

Jun 4, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #2 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Re: 2 types of climbers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think I fit into either group very well. I'm not a hippy, I'm not an epinepherine addict and I don't listen to very much hip hop or rap. Also, I am most certainly better than other climbers, and I look better in lycra too.

There are two types of climbers: those that can spell and apply basic rules of grammar and the other 99%.

zozo

Jun 4, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #3 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so i have kind of noticed that theres like 2 kinds of climbers the hippies and the i don't kno how to identify the but like adrenalin junkies who are in to rap or hip hop and all nonetheless both climbers non better then the other kind i just found this kind of intresting any comments? do you see any other differences in the 2 kinds?

I noticed this as well and did'nt find it interesting at all.

kknapp

Jun 4, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #4 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well said on last post. Enjoy the company you find out there life is too short to judge likes and dislikes. Everyone is worth a sincere look in the eye and a how do you do greeting. Please do not ignore the outcasts.

ikefromla

Jun 4, 2005, 3:44 AM
Post #5 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

um yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn.

Partner coldclimb

Jun 4, 2005, 3:54 AM
Post #6 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think I fit into either group very well.

Me neither. I don't think climbers are all going to fit into one of two groups. :wink:

ahimsa

Jun 4, 2005, 3:58 AM
Post #7 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i didn't mean to classify climbers realy i just noticed this but it is true that you could never catagories all the climbers into 2 different groups mayb its that from my experience the majority of the people kind of realy fit into one of these 2 however i have non climbers ho could never fit into either

cutiger

Jun 4, 2005, 4:01 AM
Post #8 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm neither...sorry.

saltamonte

Jun 4, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #9 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think I fit into either group very well. I'm not a hippy, I'm not an epinepherine addict and I don't listen to very much hip hop or rap. Also, I am most certainly better than other climbers, and I look better in lycra too.

There are two types of climbers: those that can spell and apply basic rules of grammar and the other 99%.

after looking at your profile and based only one picture and your text i would say you fit easily with in hippie with out a stretch: in your photo you are sitting yoga style barefoot on a crash pad in the snow with a beanie on, and your "self description" is more of a philisophical statement of a state of directionlessness and desirelessness remenisent of eastern religion. Of course i know almost nothing about you really, but from a glance of what you have presented us with to see you, I would venture to say you may be seen from a distance anyway as hippieish more often than you think.
and that is so true of most of us we portray a stereotype from a distance but our friends and ourselves, know us well enough to realize the stereotype that strangers may think of first when they see us is really not accurate at all.

that is the point of stereotypes they are a starting place from which to be proven wrong when you get to know someone.

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 4, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #10 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

........sorry bud....you can't generalize climbers.....you may get away by defining them by what type of climbing they do (i.e.: "oh he's a trad climber"...)....but nothing beyond that......and i don't even personally know or met a climber whos into hip-hop-crap music.... :roll:

bmxer

Jun 4, 2005, 4:41 AM
Post #11 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah there are like two types of climbers, the dudes and the dudettes.

sick_climba

Jun 4, 2005, 4:44 AM
Post #12 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the contrary I think the two types of climbers are: Soul climbers, aka climbers who climb for the climb accept all climbing as climbing and do what it takes to do so. And Climbers aka love to climb but are not always accepting of other types of climbing. They think their type is the best no matter what and some are not even willing to try others! Personlay I think we need more of the soul climbers because i am seeing a lot of the second type and it is starting to get on my nerves!

Partner tattooed_climber

Jun 4, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #13 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah there are like two types of climbers, the dudes and the dudettes.

what about people who are trans-gendered? (aka trans-dude)

Partner angry

Jun 4, 2005, 4:54 AM
Post #14 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My friend, there's two types of people in this world. Those with a loaded gun and those who dig.

http://www.perfectpeople.net/.../celebs/562/0130.jpg

kriso9tails

Jun 4, 2005, 5:12 AM
Post #15 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

after looking at your profile and based only one picture and your text i would say you fit easily with in hippie with out a stretch: in your photo you are sitting yoga style barefoot on a crash pad in the snow with a beanie on, and your "self description" is more of a philisophical statement of a state of directionlessness and desirelessness remenisent of eastern religion. Of course i know almost nothing about you really, but from a glance of what you have presented us with to see you, I would venture to say you may be seen from a distance anyway as hippieish more often than you think.
and that is so true of most of us we portray a stereotype from a distance but our friends and ourselves, know us well enough to realize the stereotype that strangers may think of first when they see us is really not accurate at all.

that is the point of stereotypes they are a starting place from which to be proven wrong when you get to know someone.

Oh, guess I was wrong about me then. Are my hippy brethren still into drugs and sexual liberation, 'cause I could use something to do to kill the next couple of days and I don't want to break character? =P

tradalltheway

Jun 4, 2005, 7:10 AM
Post #16 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are those with a T1 and those with a 56K. now quit sucking up bandwidth on my 56K. thank you and good night.

climbsomething

Jun 4, 2005, 7:45 AM
Post #17 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are you 15? Or just a tool?

ahimsa

Jun 4, 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #18 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as a matter of fact i am 15 and on a t1 connection cuz i live at a school any how didn't mean to offend anybody just curious

slobmonster

Jun 5, 2005, 3:52 AM
Post #19 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I can guess that Holderness School hasn't finished its academic year?

No worries, my friend Ahimsa. If you choose to pursue climbing as an earnest activity, and invest your time and energy wisely, you will be among quite an exclusive group. Over time, your hippie friends and the other ones will swap music collections, trade haircuts, and sit around a large water pipe on a couch somewhere, not worrying about the differences (which are all appearance).

You may not know it, but your alma mater has produced some excellent, world-class athletes.

brianbirks04

Jun 5, 2005, 3:59 AM
Post #20 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow...

sick_climba

Jun 5, 2005, 4:46 AM
Post #21 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On the contrary I think the two types of climbers are: Soul climbers, aka climbers who climb for the climb accept all climbing as climbing and do what it takes to do so. And Climbers aka love to climb but are not always accepting of other types of climbing. They think their type is the best no matter what and some are not even willing to try others! Personlay I think we need more of the soul climbers because i am seeing a lot of the second type and it is starting to get on my nerves!
I would like to retrack this statment... upon thinking about the matter a little bit more while bouldering I found that I was wrong. There are no different types of climbers. The fact is we are all different but we all have one thing in common. WE CLIMB! We all climb and we all love to climb, and no matter how we climb, what we climb, or how we act towards others and their climbing choices; the fact is we are all still, at heart, climbers, and in the end thats all it comes down to.

zoebird

Jun 5, 2005, 8:27 AM
Post #22 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ahimsa:

first, i'd like to point out that punctuation is your friend. capitolization is not necessarily manditory in casual online conversation, but punctuation still is. basic spelling is also considered important--but you don't seem to have too much of an issue with that beyond typos (which most people kindly overlook, even when spell check it available). The sort of 'bad spelling' that i'm refering to is 'teen chat' such as 'ne1 won 2 chat w/ a SwEeT clmbr frm TX?!?!1/?!' i think most people find that annoying.

second, i think it might have something to do with your circle. If you're in a younger crowd, it's likely you have neo-hippies (such as yourself, i'd say) and the hip-hop crowd. that seems to be what is 'hip' or 'cool' these days with the under-25 set. but then, there are others into a variety of other things--not necessarily determined by eastern philosophies, state of cleanliness, or music.

i've found that in the gym where i practice, there are a variety of people who listen to a variety of music, notably classic rock, punk, and public-radio type music. Many of them are well over 40 and in excellent shape with a lot of self knowledge, climbing knowledge, and insight. they're also educated, interesting people with whom one can talk about any number of topics.

Others are younger than 40, and they run a broad spectrum of people from general 'outdoorsy' types to the thrill seekers. i kinda think of them (us) as "tweeners" because most of us are not as experienced as the older climbers in climbing or in life experience in general (obviously) nor are we the ones climbing while our kids (see below) are practicing with the team. So, it's sort of the young-married or young-single crowd, and we're a diverse group of people who don't really know what we're doing yet (have we grown up? if not, are we going to? and when? and how?). the over 40 set just kinda shake their heads at us, and let us belay for them. :)

Still others are younger than 25 and they're still finding an aweful lot about themselves. Then tend to fall into those two basic categories, but there are more than enough exceptions for me to say that it's probably three or four categories. We seem to have the very intellectual (good grades, etc) group who are very technical climbers. We have the show boats who kinda act like "ask the Noob" writes; they tend to listen to hip hop. We have the neo-hippies who seem to use rock climbing as both a 'high' and a meditative practice for self knowledge; they seem to really like the grip that looks like buddha. And finally we have the 'average kids' who just like to be active and are as happy being cheerleaders as they are working on problems.

all in all, it's an interesting group.

and for whomever posted about it--observing the general similarities and differences in a given group isn't necessarily 'judging' (or falsely judging) someone. it's simply observing and categorizing. it's really quite harmless. Of course everyone is unique and special. no one is saying otherwise. :)

hangerlessbolt

Jun 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #23 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m having a little difficulty in figuring out which line I’m supposed to be in.

I’m 32…I’ve moved 37 times…I have a higher than average I.Q. (137)…I make a decent amount of money…I own my own (3 story/ 5 br/ 3.5 bath) house…I’ve been climbing since the late 80’s…I listen to just about everything (from Lords of Acid to Yanni…and from Garth Brooks to Tupac)…I have large tattoos/ pierced nipples…and I wear slacks and dress shirts to work…

Can someone point me in the right direction?

(This outta be fun)

justafurnaceman

Jun 5, 2005, 11:38 AM
Post #24 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nobody can put all of us climbers into 2 groups.

My climbing group consists of my brothers and a couple of friends and we're quite diversified. We have an Army guy, doctor, social worker, teacher, and heating techs. We listen to rock, classical, country, heavy metal. All but one are republicans (the other doesn't quite know).

cupton

Jun 5, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #25 of 47 (5979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats a neo-hippy?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook