RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

boulder_boy

Jun 6, 2005, 2:28 AM
Post #1 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

bush removal?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My Friend and I are developing this new area that has potential for V4-V8 problems but the entire area is covered by stinging nettle poison ivy and posion oak. I was just wondering what you guys thought were the easiest way to remove this crap. round up or some other industrial strength plant removal is all I can come up with. don't worry, it's ok to remove this stuff, I allready talked to the people who own the land.
P.S this stuff is thick like 4 foot tall bushes covering every nook and cranny
thanks
Jeff

socalbolter

Jun 6, 2005, 2:54 AM
Post #2 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Re: bush removal? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, that kind of bush. At first I thought this was an impeachment thread.

Round Up will work, but if you have a lot to remove it could get costly. I've also heard of people using diesel fuel. No matter what you use, make sure that you dig out the roots as well, or you'll be dealing with it all again next spring.

Unless the area becomes somewhat popular and sees regular traffic it might end up becoming a maintenane nightmare as Mother Nature is pretty good about quickly reclaiming her spaces.

Good luck!

gunked

Jun 6, 2005, 3:15 AM
Post #3 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get dressed up properly. By that I mean head to toe coverings that the nettle can't penetrate. Gloves, hat, neck, dust mask, goggles(the last thing you wan't to do is instinctively touch your eyes when the dust flys :wink: ). You can find cheaper stuff that will cover you head to toe at a paint shop. I'd get a balaclava for this job. You don't wan't the poison oak oils touching you.

To remove the bushes, I'd probably use a pole saw and get as far in as you can. Try to get the base branches and cut everything you can access. It will be easier to remove this way. One thing to keep in mind is that you may have to move this stuff. I think that that's the real nasty job. Can you put it in a pile and let it rot? Can you burn it? Do you have to haul it out for a ways?

Plan the size of your cuts out if you can or just cut it to size when it's on the ground.

If you take the proper precautions for your skin, it's just like any other brush removal. You can get a pruning stick or a lopper for $30 - $40 at home depot.

Unfortunately, I've not a good suggestion on whether Roundup or the like is a good idea or even necessary. If you can get this stuff at the roots, I'm guessing you should be okay.

Most important thing is to invest in Tecnu.
This stuff will remove any toxins from the surface of your skin for up to 24 hours after use. I'd bathe in it every night y'all are workin' the bushes.

Good luck,
Jason :D

tank

Jun 6, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #4 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i would recommend taking some benedryl a head of time to prevent catching all of that poison ivy that out there. Its cheap and very effective. Along with showers and tencu and clothes to prevent contact you should be good.
I would go with cutting it and removing it from the bouldering area, even if you use a weed killer the plants will still be there with the oil that sin them. After clearing the plants i would then use a weed killer on any that remains. That would also help make it cheaper. Good luck.

jeffstephan

Jun 6, 2005, 6:35 AM
Post #5 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
:lol: :lol:
So did I....*sigh*....so did I....

njari

Jun 6, 2005, 9:50 AM
Post #6 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Can you burn it? ...
Be careful when burning these plants. I heard a rumor of someone who got a reaction in their lungs after inhaling the fumes. I don't know if the story is true, but I'd be really careful.

Also, I would hesitate to use gallons of roundup or (deisel fuel) from an ecological perspective.

I like the pole saw idea. Maybe you can pile the debris on an old bedsheet--that would make it easier to haul away.

qwert

Jun 6, 2005, 10:17 AM
Post #7 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damm...
i thought this was about politics, or the latest pubic hair trends ...

But for what you are asking i would suggest one of these or theese. I havent worked in poison ivy yet, but id suggest some heavy protective clothing.
Diese will kill all plants for a long time, but the ground will be wasted for years, and the water will get poluted and the whole area will smell like diesel.
Round up is for sissys, fight the plants like a real man :twisted:

qwert

overlord

Jun 6, 2005, 11:48 AM
Post #8 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

me3.

thedejongs

Jun 6, 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #9 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leave no trace principles, aside . . .
If you choose to burn the plants with toxic substances, be aware that the rumors regarding their toxic offgases are very true. Some years ago, I was first-hand witness to this. I was at a bivouac site in the Army at Fort Benning, Georgia. A couple of guys thought that it would be manly to relieve themselves in the bonfire we had built. One chose unwittingly to do so in the vicinity of a log which had been wrapped in poison ivy. The next day, when he awakened, let's just say that thing's were, well, :shock: -- a bit [understatement] swollen downstairs. It was one of the most awful sights I have seen. Grown men shrank back in terror (I still cringe internally when I think of it (not that this is chronically on my mind, understand?)). The poor guy had to be taken out of the field-- and couldn't even wear his boxers, things were so bad. Spent quite a few days in recovery. Moral of the story-- if you choose to burn this stuff, I'd keep well away from it once it's lit up-- can't imagine the effects it would have on your lungs if you inhaled the smoke.
Cheers.

bill413

Jun 6, 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #10 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... I allready talked to the people who own the land.
Jeff

Kudos to you!

jeffd

Jun 6, 2005, 2:13 PM
Post #11 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DONT burn it. the ursher oil will float in the air and is still reactive many people get hospitilised every year from burning posion ivy/oak. also every part of the plant has ursher oil on it including the roots! be very careful and cover up well. id use one of those bush mowers perferably one that has a self bagger.

dirtineye

Jun 6, 2005, 2:37 PM
Post #12 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first try manual removal, in proper clothing. Maybe one of your crew is not allergic to PI, if so, let them do the grunt work haha! The standard offer is, if someone claims they do not get PI, then you wheedle, beg, coax, badger, whatever it takes, to get the sucker, uh, I mean, lucky individual, to pull up the PI. Then, if they actually do get PI, you have to buy em dinner, with the cost of dinner based on how much PI they get.

Whatever sprouts back, spray with one of the poison ivy killers. Don't waste your time with regular weed killer, get the stuff that is strong and specifically states that it kills PI.

If there should be plants nearby that you do not want to kill, say, some rare wild flower or other desireable, put old newspapers aroud the PI (or over your desired plant) so that no spray goes astray.

And like everyone says, don't burn PI.

spokewrench

Jun 6, 2005, 3:50 PM
Post #13 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive seen patches of poison ivy covered with tarps and staked down tight to the ground to kill it with out effecting the area around it. im sure it takes longer though.
also its to my understanding that you can burn the plant after it has dried out. still i wouldnt risk being near it.

cloudbreak

Jun 6, 2005, 3:55 PM
Post #14 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
....developing this new area that has potential for V4-V8 problems

Does it really matter what the ratings are?

jstan

Jun 6, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #15 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will probably want to consider what ground cover you should plant as a replacement for the poison ivy. Otherwise, depending upon local conditions, you may find yourself climbing in mud. Don't forget the oils are probably on the rock also. From my own pleasant encounters with poison oak I have found that when I do have a skin reaction flooding the affected area with the hottest water I can stand turns a month long mortal contest into two or three days of mild discomfort.

My sincere compliments on your taking the initiative to talk to the owners. Once you have developed the area you will face the bigger challenge of keeping all the other people who follow you on the same excellent terms with your hosts the owners. My guess is they are very happy to see their property cleared of even some of the poison ivy. It may be you and your friends can be of valuable service even after the rocks have been cleared. You will have a real success story going if the owners starting bringing you all lemonade when your friends are working on clearing the ivy even in the areas where there are no rocks.

njari

Jun 6, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #16 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You will probably want to consider what ground cover you should plant as a replacement for the poison ivy. Otherwise, depending upon local conditions, you may find yourself climbing in mud.
Excellent point! You can probably use some local grass or plant--just match whatever else is around.

Also, I've never heard of covering the plant, but if it works, it's gotta be the lowest-impact solution yet!

azrockclimber

Jun 6, 2005, 6:11 PM
Post #17 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay this is the right way to do it..........get majorly geared up..meaning cover up your skin and your eyes.....

weed wack it/ mow it/ hack it down as short os possible haul that shit outta there....hit it witha generous application of roundup....simple instructions...get it at home depot

chrisparedes

Jun 6, 2005, 6:42 PM
Post #18 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't even imagine clearing out that much Poison Ivy. I just got over a horrible case of it that has left my chest and stomach with scars from the terrible blisters and rash I had from the stuff. Dress properly, and as soon as you are done wash the clothes seperatly using tenchu, and bathe in the stuff too to remove the oils from your skin. Poison Ivy is completly miserable once it shows up on your body.

cchildre

Jun 6, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #19 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Burning it can cause lung irritation! So True!

Even the roots have the oil in them so even if you killed it all it would still have the oils to deal with. They remain on the plants and active for up to 5 years after the plants death.

I would clear by hand and take precautions detailed in earlier posts.

My plan! Cut out a fire line all the way around a larger area of ivy and such. Douse the plants with Diesel fuel, not heavily but just coat the leaves and such. Kills everything. A few weeks later after all the plants are dry dead, come back with some gas and light that sucker up. Be sure the area is clear and the smoke will not affect any bystandards. Wear a breather mask and keep clear of that nasty smoke. Come in later and clear the area and pull roots of anything you can. Wear gloves and sleeves during the pulling.

peteripnar

Jun 6, 2005, 7:10 PM
Post #20 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tecnu....it's all about tecnu, you can actually apply it before screwing with the stuff and it will stop the oils from getting to your skin.

and wash your whole body right after you are done....

oh and if you use the burning it out idea... don't... i repeat don't walk through the smoke! i did this while is was a young middleschooler... and i was scratching for almost a month....
that's just my experience....
peter

cchildre

Jun 6, 2005, 7:16 PM
Post #21 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now for my immature response-

Bummer....I was hoping this thread was a female asking for personal hygiene tips!

boulder_boy

Jun 7, 2005, 5:24 AM
Post #22 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The way you guys are talking about it you make it sound like war....probably will be. I work at a chemical storage facility and the owner said he might be willing to give me some chemicals thats kill all plants that are sprayed for a couple of years......I like that Idea, I got poison oak when I was younger......was not fun. I think we decided it would be to big of a hastle(sp?) to clear the entire area....we are just going to make wide paths and then spray about 5-10 feet surrounding the boulders........yeah we're chickens, you would be to if you saw the area.
Jeff
Thanks for all the advise guys.

Partner amber

Jun 7, 2005, 5:55 AM
Post #23 of 23 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

me3.

well, at least i wasnt the only one.

(sigh)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook