Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kachoong

Jun 7, 2005, 5:13 AM
Post #26 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Re: Length of fall from TR [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Extra credit question: What is the limit of the fall factor as the amount of slack added increases?

-Jay
Shouldn't it be "1" since theoretically you're not falling further than from the anchor to the ground and therefore the length of the rope that is in the system? This should be survivable. If it were static rope then the fall could definately be deadly, even if it stops you from hitting the deck. With a normal TR setup with the belayer on the ground, the max factor should be 0.5 if you were to fall from the anchor with enough slack to reach just above the ground.

climbsomething

Jun 7, 2005, 5:28 AM
Post #27 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boardline says here:
In reply to:
My parents, I'm 15, arn't as worried of my getting hurt but me spending my money on equipment. They think it's a fad lmao

and here:

In reply to:
I started rock climbing (gym) a little bit ago and I love every moment of it.

Conclusion: Inexperienced children should not be rope soloing.

kachoong

Jun 7, 2005, 5:40 AM
Post #28 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Question for those who have used a gri-gri for SB: Is there a chance it may not lock if you load it slowly?

if you sit on it slow enough, it slides a bit, but in a gym, the ropes are generally pretty fat so this usually isnt much of a problem.

the main problem is having to suck up slack every move or two. this is difficult and really should not be done unless you're actually setting the route- because there's a good chance you'll pop at some point and ground fall is a real issue in the gym.

If the fall is long enough and the Grigri has shifted on the carabiner there is potential for the biner to be crossloaded. This could be a problem! A mallion would be better to attach the Grigri to on your harness. Stronger and less likely to crossload.
But "Boardline", as stated above.... you really shouldn't be rope soloing in a gym under those circumstances.... learn more about it AND find someone to climb with!

ringlock

Jun 7, 2005, 6:22 AM
Post #29 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

penalty slack!!

Partner srwings

Jun 7, 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #30 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken 3 or 4 foot falls outdoors while solo top roping on a grigri.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/post/1016347#1016347

viciado

Jun 7, 2005, 11:33 AM
Post #31 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to the OP, IMHO you seem to need more experience. Ask a competente person face to face to help you rather than getting virtual internet advice.

bigjonnyc

Jun 7, 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #32 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, I believe you are wrong in this case. There is no way possible that there can be a fall factor of greater than 1 in this solo TR case. As many of us know, a fall factor is the ratio of the fall length to the length of rope out in the system. If you were solo TRing from a line that was tied off at the anchors at the top of the climb, and at some point the ascender/belay device stopped taking slack, then the total length of rope out would be the would be equal to the greatest fall length, i.e. the climber reaches the top and falls, and thus the fall factor would be 1. if the climber were tied in, the rope fed through the anchors, and back to the ascender/belay device, then it would be the same as the previous case, except that there would be twice as much rope in the system, so the fall factor in this case would be 1/2.

Partner oldsalt

Jun 7, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #33 of 33 (2472 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is no way possible that there can be a fall factor of greater than 1 in this solo TR case. As many of us know, a fall factor is the ratio of the fall length to the length of rope out in the system. If you were solo TRing from a line that was tied off at the anchors at the top of the climb, and at some point the ascender/belay device stopped taking slack, then the total length of rope out would be the would be equal to the greatest fall length, i.e. the climber reaches the top and falls, and thus the fall factor would be 1. if the climber were tied in, the rope fed through the anchors, and back to the ascender/belay device, then it would be the same as the previous case, except that there would be twice as much rope in the system, so the fall factor in this case would be 1/2.

He is correct on the fall factor. For static rope, the danger is not the fall factor, but the full impact of the fall on the body. Without rope stretch, the middle of the falling body stops and the upper and lower portions of the body keep going to the detriment of the spine.

The Petzl BASIC is approved for TR self-belaying in their documentation, however, the teeth can easily damage the sheath of the rope. The Ti-Block has still longer teeth and can involve the core on a fall.

I use the Rescuecender, because it is a cam without teeth. It can slip, which is not necessarily a bad thing. However, high impact testing has shown that cam devices can cut a rope.

The Rescuecender (and the Ti-Block and BASIC for that matter) will pass a weighted rope easily and catch a fall reliably. Still, it is better not to fall.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook