Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
The MASS CLIMBERS thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

slenz

Jun 6, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #13601 of 22774 (519991 views)
Shortcut

Re: The MASS CLIMBERS thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm in the Boston area for about 2 weeks, and am dying to get outside and do some climbing. Problem is, I don't know the area very well, or anyone to show me around.

I'm pretty much up for anything- local or out of state- and my schedule is flexible.

Anyone who wants to go climbing tomorrow, or later on in the week give me a shout.

-Sophia

dudemanbu

Jun 6, 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #13602 of 22774 (519990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everyone. My name's chris, i've mostly gym climbed, done a little lead but mostly top rope. I live in CT but drive to boston periodically, and i was wondering...

Is anybody up for the quarries this week? (week of june 6th). I'm thinking either tomorrow or weds.

core

Jun 7, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #13603 of 22774 (519991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oooh, before i go to bed, I'll add that Chris was the best belayer EVER this w/e! :D

kmsmoguls

Jun 7, 2005, 1:10 AM
Post #13604 of 22774 (519991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow sounds like everyone had a great weekend. Isn't the sun and warm weather great? I went up to Rumney for the first time ever on Sunday. I got my first sport lead (False Modesty). I love the rock at Rumney because you can really trust your feet and be creative. I can't wait to get up there again and try some other leads. Glad to see everyone had fun this weekend. See ya.

Erik

gmasterb

Jun 7, 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #13605 of 22774 (519991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crackmaster,
If you lost one locker at Crow Hill talk to microbarn about retrieving it.

elron

Jun 7, 2005, 1:29 AM
Post #13606 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great trip report Chris! :)

Will all those who have led in the Gunks and not gotten off route a couple times, all the while saying "5.4 my ass!" please stand up. hhmm... looks like we're all still sitting. So there you go Chris, no shame in getting lost on a Gunks route! Just try to keep in mind that lichen on the face is a sure sign that you are off route. Climbing through bushes is a sure sign that you failed to notice that you were climbing though lichen and are off route. And having to crawl on your stomach under an overhang is a sure sign that you were totally oblivious to the two previous signs that you were off route, and that you may in fact need better contact lenses :)

Though I have to say, it was quite amusing listening to Cory's running commentary and laughter as he seconded your new FA! :)

Where/when are people climbing this week? I'm currently nursing a swollen elbow but am thinking of QQ Wednesday and CH Friday. Or maybe Tuesday and Thursday... not quite sure.

Kevin

choueiri

Jun 7, 2005, 1:38 AM
Post #13607 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Kevin,

QQ on Wednesday sounds... I would be up for that after work. I could meet you there at like 6?

Tony

summit

Jun 7, 2005, 1:51 AM
Post #13608 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, if anyone is up for climbing at purgatory this Thursday or Friday let me know. I'm looking to head over and make a day of it. I've got the equipment to set up on Geryon(5.6) and the Empyean(5.7). I'd also be up for climbing over at College Rock but I haven't been there yet! Take Care,
-Eric

orangekyak

Jun 7, 2005, 2:21 AM
Post #13609 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Then I saw the Alien pop right out and Cory come down on the ledge before there was tension in the rope again. He was alright, but both of us were a little shaken. That was the first time I had caught a leader fall
No, it sounds like you still haven't caught a leader fall :lol: Score one for the ledge, though.

In reply to:
Maria direct... The second pitch was by far my favorite pitch of the weekend! It was beutiful climbing in a corner, and it makes me see why it's a classic!
HA! See Jake? Another vote for Maria 8^)

In reply to:
We tried to do the tird pitch, but wasn't quite sure where it was. We ended up climbing a crack with a tree coming out of it for about 10 feet to the top. I don't think that was it...

I manage to keep missing it too. I think it's farther right.

This weekend ... I need a partner to swap leads on 5.8 to 5.10 terrain up north or out west. Please join me if you can push me a little. I've been taking it too easy and I need a workout.

jakedatc

Jun 7, 2005, 3:43 AM
Post #13610 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Orangahang Derek ? or you after Predator? hehe

In reply to:
HA! See Jake? Another vote for Maria

we've never been on it when ive been in a good mood soooo.. for now i think the 2nd pitch is crap.. sorry? I still want to do Dangler.. next time i'm up there i want to at least get up to the ledge and look at it.. and hopefully suck it up and send

i dunno what's on tap for this trip.. waimea i think.. i want kate to TR . Nanook of the North shut me down last year.. i think that might have potential plus a few nice moderates to get her to lead.. dolt.. jolt.. niki's crack. so much stuff up there i havent got to yet

paulthenurse

Jun 7, 2005, 5:43 AM
Post #13611 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1000 PAGE PARTY UPDATE

OK, we're still talking the last weekend in June. I'm working overnight 7pm - 7am on Wed, I'll head up to NH after work and sleep up there. Anyone who shows up before 3-4 pm on Thursday stands a good chance of finding me in my PJ's. Forewarned is forearmed. Insert your own cutting comment here... So the update isn't an update at all, nothing has changed. PM me for directions either here or at Paulthenurse@yahoo.com.

I'm really looking forward to this weekend, I haven't climbed since ice season, so I'll take you up on your offer, Jeff, and you can belay me up the spiral stairs to the second floor.

Unorthodox TR
Spent this weekend underwater. Managed to stumble across a pod of humpback whales about 2 miles off of Duxbury beach. I'm frantically trying to get into my wetsuit, Ishouldknowbetter is pretending she can't find her flippers. I figure I'm too ugly to eat and I'll be ok. She's not ugly and was a little reluctant to jump into 100 feet of water with 4-5 whales the size of, well, whales. Didn't matter after all, before we got ready some knucklehead drives right into the middle of the pod and they shagged whale ass. We were going to go over the side about 1000 yards ahead of them and let them swim by us.
Ended up diving at High Pine Ledge and cleaning up. Got to combine two words that don't often get put together in the English Language: Lobster and Leftover. I should change my name to PTN MARU, cause I was like a Japanese fishing trawler, leaving nothing edible in my wake. Filled the lobster steamer to capacity! Fed a whole bunch of people a whole bunch of lobster for the cost of four tanks of air!

PTN

jakedatc

Jun 7, 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #13612 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice paul.... i gotta get scuba certified one of these days . mm lobster.. nice

got a kickass email.. for those who dont read coffee shop
In reply to:
Hi Jacob,
We have received your official transcript and current ECCC card. Your file is now complete and you will be certified this Thursday, 6/9/05.

some of ya know the weight of that.. some don't but thanks for the kicks in the ass when i needed it

Jake D., ATC

robbovius

Jun 7, 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #13613 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

got a kickass email.. for those who dont read coffee shop
In reply to:
Hi Jacob,
We have received your official transcript and current ECCC card. Your file is now complete and you will be certified this Thursday, 6/9/05.

some of ya know the weight of that.. some don't but thanks for the kicks in the ass when i needed it

Jake D., ATC

dude, we all know and crongrats. As one of the kickers, I'm real happy for ya. You are beginning to rule...Our little Jakie, all growed up ;-)

Eric, I have one guitar lesson at 6pm on friday. I could get to CR by 6:45, if you wanted to go set up there, that'd give us a good two hours of climbing before sunset. I've climbed into the dark there many times.

unfortunately my guitar lesson schedule kinda kills my after-work climbing, though I'm going to get mondays back in a couple weeks.

Oh as an addendum to my sat Purgatory note, I fricken dropped one of my BD Neutrino keylock from the top of Geryon dirrectly onto the edge of the table boulder. nice big chip outta the high stress corner on the wide part of the D. it's a shoe biner now damn it.

harshklimber

Jun 7, 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #13614 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeremy - come with us to the Gunks this weekend. :robert:

choueiri

Jun 7, 2005, 1:35 PM
Post #13615 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

One of my good friends, and yes I have friends, when I pay them, is a scuba instructor in Boston... let me know if you want to get certified.

I went scuba diving this weekend and wish I had a good story to tell, except that I saw and found nothing but golf balls... not even one lobster.

Tony

summit

Jun 7, 2005, 2:11 PM
Post #13616 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey congrats Jake

Rob, sounds good to me dude. I'm pretty excited to check the place out, I'll prolly get there around 5:30-6 and find a good place to setup. I'm thinking above Send Money/More Money but i'm not sure about anchors. How much webbing should I bring?
-Eric

Partner wideguy

Jun 7, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #13617 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PTN, got your message last week. I'm a tentative "Go" for the weekend of the 24th-26th in Conway but it all depends oin Tim's baseball schedule. Playofs start the weekend of the 18th in a double eliminatoion tourney. They play 2 games that first week. If they get bounced I'm there. If they win I'm home cheering on the progeny that weekend.

robbovius

Jun 7, 2005, 2:20 PM
Post #13618 of 22774 (519993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey congrats Jake

Rob, sounds good to me dude. I'm pretty excited to check the place out, I'll prolly get there around 5:30-6 and find a good place to setup. I'm thinking above Send Money/More Money but i'm not sure about anchors. How much webbing should I bring?
-Eric

Eric, without gear, you'll be slinging trees about 20-25 feet back from the edge for Send money, but for more money there are two trees right on the upper ledge of the cliff.

looks like the the weather will cooperate. ;-)

summit

Jun 7, 2005, 2:38 PM
Post #13619 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Eric, without gear, you'll be slinging trees about 20-25 feet back from the edge for Send money, but for more money there are two trees right on the upper ledge of the cliff.

looks like the the weather will cooperate. ;-)

Sounds good, All I've got now is a rope, 80ft of webbing, quickdraws, and a cam (that fits the crack above that 5.7 in purgatory :D ) So trees are my friend :wink: . It's not alot but enough to get me going. I'll prolly end up going there on thursday also to check it out ahead of time.
-Eric

microbarn

Jun 7, 2005, 2:48 PM
Post #13620 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rob and Eric,
I would like to join you guys at Purgatory. I get off about 5 and I think I can be there by 6 if the traffic fairs well. (I am in Shrewsbury, so you might judge better than I.)

Kevin, I already promised one other person to meet at HP Wed. night. Are you up for going there? Tony (choueiri) said he was interested in doing the TR routes that are there.

What are people's plans for Sunday? Anyone up for going to Rumney, or need 2 followers for a trad area? I got a guidebook for Rumney and I am eager to lead something if I can't follow someone in trad.

Dan

choueiri

Jun 7, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #13621 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rob and Eric,
I would like to join you guys at Purgatory. I get off about 5 and I think I can be there by 6 if the traffic fairs well. (I am in Shrewsbury, so you might judge better than I.)

Count me in for Thursday at Purgatory too please... I will be coming from the Cambridge area so I am not sure how long it will take me but hopefully I can be there by 6 as well.

Tony

robbovius

Jun 7, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #13622 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Micro and choeri, Eric and I are going to College Rock on friday, not purgatory, sorry forthe confusion...Dan, I forgot to mention that in the PM just now.

I wouldn't be able to get to purgatory until 7:15 pm earliest.

robbovius

Jun 7, 2005, 3:12 PM
Post #13623 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello everybody! Just started climbing this winter, mostly at Metro Rock. First two trips outside were fantastic (Crow Hill and the Gunks). Thanks goes to Chris for leading the whole time. I freaked a little after climbing High Exposure on only my 3rd day outdoors, but it was still a blast. Anyone know anything about the quarry in Westford? I work near there and am curious.

Hey Hukton, welcome. there's a short bit about the Fletcher Quarries in Westford in teh RC.com routes DB here

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...Area.php?AreaID=7713
I'm not sure if that's the one you're talking about.

MY family lives in Groton, I intend to do some exploring at the westford quaries this summer, I'l post up when.

summit

Jun 7, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #13624 of 22774 (520111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Rob and Eric,

Count me in for Thursday at Purgatory too please... I will be coming from the Cambridge area so I am not sure how long it will take me but hopefully I can be there by 6 as well.

Tony
Hey Tony, sorry for the confusion I meant I will go to College Rock on thursday just to check the place out (never been). We're planning on climbing Friday, hope to see you there!
-Eric

olderic

Jun 7, 2005, 4:12 PM
Post #13625 of 22774 (520105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of weeks ago when we were having the discussion about sport routes at the Quarries I described the history of Ladder Line. I was wrong about a couple of thinks. It was originally an aid line/bolt ladder (hence the name) - old 1/4 inch bolts. I'm not sure who did the FA of that - Ray D-Arcy? The FFA was done in the spring of 67 by Kevin Bein (not in 69 by Henry as I suggested). Kevin (who went on to fame as the "Mayor of the Gunks" among other things) was on a roll then as in a short period he did the FFA's of Ladder Line, Willie's Walk, Parabola and Pins. Guess what shoes (boots) he used?

First page Previous page 1 ... 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook