Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Conditions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

learnin2climb

May 3, 2005, 3:09 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Conditions?  (North_America: United_States: California: Lake_Tahoe: Big_Chief)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone been out there lately?

Is the forest road open? Anyone know what forest service station I could call to get this info?

Can you get a low clearence car through?

Thnx

coloredchalker

May 3, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Re: Conditions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummmm?????
I was out there over the weekend and it was rainy and cold, plus windy, just plain yuck.

:wink: :shock:

wyoclimber3

May 7, 2005, 4:13 PM
Post #3 of 4 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i doubt that 06 (the FS road) is open yet. last year it did not open until sometime in june, i believe. when it is open, a low clearance vehicle is doable. on a sunny day right now, climbing at big chief is exceptional. just hike up from highway 89. DON"T drive over one of the private bridges however. i usually park on 89 and wade the river (or sneak across the closest bridge on foot). the hike takes about a half hour and you should have the place to yourself.

nobody

Jun 12, 2005, 3:47 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The road, as of June 11, 2005, is still only open to the 2nd gate. From there, it's still a long walk, but a quick and easy bike ride.

Currently, climbers are trailblazing (those with high clearance vehicles) around the second gate. This is NOT COOL. It would be very obvious to any Forest Service employee that climbers are to blame for this, as everyone is parking at the main Big Chief parking area (there were about 10 cars there yesterday).

PARK AT THE 2ND GATE AND RIDE YOUR BIKE!!! :x

We've already lost the only other significant sport climbing area around here - lets not piss off land managers with our behaviour at Big Chief.

And yes I know this area is heavily logged and there are roads all over the place, but this trailblazing around the gate is just such an obvious slap in the face to the Forest Service by climbers.

Call the FS at 530 587 3558 to check the status of the road - that 2nd gate should be open any day now, and the more calls they get, the more likely they are to go out and check conditions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook