RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ivalley

Jun 11, 2005, 3:57 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

climbing along I-90
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey my buddy is working out in seattle for the summer and in the end of july I am flying out there and we are going to road trip back. I can only get a couple weeks off work and the first week we are going to go up to squamish and down to smith. We are going to probably take I-90 back to MI and I was wondering if there were some places in E. Washington, N. Idaho, or Montana to do some climbing before we hit Devils Tower and the Black Hills? I'm sure there is some stuff just not that familiar with the area. Except for those two weeks digging fireline on the continental divide for the Black Frog Complex. Now thats a good time.

barc

Jun 11, 2005, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing along I-90 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In Montana, you have good climbing near Butte that you can see from the highway. There's good cracks and Boulders. I haven't been there in a while but someone'll have info for you. If when you go through Missoula you are 20 min from good climbing in Kootenia canyon. I can give all the details you want on that. Very close to Drummond, there are cool limestone fins, Mulky and Rattler Gulch. I can give you details on that. There's an area called Reststop. I think that actually is a reststop on I-90, but I'm not sure. Details are on this website.

If you need details PM me.

Elliott

jacobbelsher

Jun 11, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

exits 38 and 32 coming out of seattle on i-90 have some decent stuff, mostly sport.
Vantage in eastern washington has some excellent sport and trad opportunities, and is worth a day or more, although it will probably be scorching hot, so you'll have to find some shade.
cheers

ryanb

Jun 11, 2005, 5:26 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exits 32 and 38 are allright but if trad/granite is more your thing take hwy 2/stevens pass across the cascades and hit up index (800 ft granite walls 1 hour from seattle, free camping, mostly harder stuff) and leavenworth (more granite, more moderate routs then index), maybe even the pestachin (sp?) pinicales (sandstone). Vantage is also fun (basalt pilars. wear a helmet ;) more free camping).

ivalley

Jun 11, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the beta guys. So much rock so little time. Mumbling to self "must quit job....move out west"

q
Deleted

Jun 12, 2005, 9:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice crags over the highway just east of Bozeman

highballer8

Jun 13, 2005, 7:05 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of moving out west, I moved from Chicago almost a year ago, and that is the best thing that i have done. And like everybody before you said, exit 32, and 38 are your best bets for some of the best sport climbing in the world. (ie. Infinate Bliss, on Garfield, exit 38) It is apprx. 2000 feet of bolted route, if that is your kind of thing, otherwise if you are looking for some good hard single pitch sport climbs, 32 is your best bet. ie. World Wall 1, and 2 as well as the British Isles.
Good Luck!

sync

Jun 13, 2005, 9:32 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And don't forget to stop off at Devil's Lake in Wisconsin!! :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook