RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

mnatti

Jun 15, 2005, 9:05 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering pad flying into New Zealand?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So next week I am taking the 27 hour flight from Boston to NZ for two weeks of mountaineering, bouldering, rope climbing and general exploring and adventuring. My big concern is immigrations sanitation issues as far as gear is concerned. I've had friends visit there and said that ALL of their outdoor gear was dipped in some sort of anti-bacterial/ virus dip. My concern is if they are unable to dip a pad, they may feel it is unsafe to enter the country and I will have to pay to ship it back home or have it destroyed (for free!).
I am just curious if anyone on the board has gone or knows anyone who has travelled there with a pad and if so what there experiance was (how long ago, too). I am willing to pay the oversized (if they charge me for it), but to pay that AND have the pad shipped back seems a bit much. My only other option is to rent one there, but at $25 (NZ) per day... 2 weeks of climbing will add up quickly!

sbaclimber

Jun 15, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering pad flying into New Zealand? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

all I can say is clean, clean, clean! I haven't tried bringing in a bouldering pad, but rope, shoes, full rack, hiking boots, etc were no problem. but.....I knew ahead of time how picky they are and took a toothbrush to the lot! If they see no indication of dirt, or worse... plant material!, there should be no issues with any of your gear.

skinnyjim

Jun 15, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second that. The NZ Customs definately is strict about soil and plant materials coming into the country os make sure your pad is spotless.

mattmax45

Jun 16, 2005, 3:26 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You could try putting the rack and other metalic gear through the dish washer, on the right setting that's surely do the job, and like our previous brethern have already said clean other things like harnesses and shoes or pads well, I believe NZ has no poisonous plants, snakes , spiders or other harmful predators, this could be a large effort to keep up with our growing world.

Anyway, have a great time, we'll not likely ever hear from you again, once you leave, you may never want to return.

Cheers, Matt. :D

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook