Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

yanqui

Apr 25, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #101 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Re: it just feels good [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
why do you boulder?
I boulder because I live in a universe filled with boulders. It's as if God herself has put these boulders here, right here in my world, so that I should climb them. And we all know what a bad idea it is to piss off God.

Yeah, that's it. I boulder because I don't want to be insubordinate to God. When reckoning day comes, and I'm standing naked before God, and she asks: "What hast thoust done with the gift of boulders that I have given thee?" I will answer, truthfully: "I have not wasted thy gift, grand maker of boulders. Because I have sought out thy gift in all places, and I have learned from their intricate design, and I have sent these boulders, in accordance with thy will." Hallelujah
:angel: :angel: :angel:

pr0x1mo

Apr 25, 2005, 9:52 PM
Post #102 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

???? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i don't boulder, it's too easy. bouldering is an instant gratification thing. what's going to last longer, that "hey, rad" feeling of sending V-hard in a day, or the "oh my f---ing god" euphoria of redpointing your hardest route ever after two weeks of work?

you may have to wait through 15 minutes of belaying to get on a route, but then you get to climb 100ft worth of boulder problems.

I thought that bouldering grades actually surpassed the hardest rope climb?

dynoguy

Apr 25, 2005, 10:43 PM
Post #103 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

bouldering vs rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i don't boulder, it's too easy. bouldering is an instant gratification thing. what's going to last longer, that "hey, rad" feeling of sending V-hard in a day, or the "oh my f---ing god" euphoria of redpointing your hardest route ever after two weeks of work?

you may have to wait through 15 minutes of belaying to get on a route, but then you get to climb 100ft worth of boulder problems.

Bouldering is definitely not easy

some people spend longer than two weeks on just one boulder problem

and hey, bouldering is so much fun and way more social

dynoguy

Apr 26, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #104 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

ropes vs bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i spent a winter in hueco listening to a bunch of sniveling posers wank about this and that V-hard that they had done or were going to do. that's when i realized that, for a lot of people, bouldering is much more ego gratifying because it's easier to move through the grades.

i do have an open mind, but i also have an opinion.

You should base your opinion of boulderers on just a few people. I know a bunch of sick strong boulderers. To get them to talk numbers is like pulling teeth.
In my opinion bouldering is MUCH less grade driven than roped climbing. I spent a week bouldering in Bishop and never even looked at a guide book. I'd say we only knew the grade of the problem for about 10% of the ones we got on.

calii22

Apr 26, 2005, 2:52 AM
Post #105 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Re: bouldering vs rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To be a good boulderer you have to be a strong climber way more then sport except the the exception of 5-15 In either case there boiyth fun but being that i am a boulderer and can climb v8/9s now i hoped on a lead climb for the second time yesterday and did a 5-13d..... you tell me which is more powerfull??? With my experiance bouldering is alot funner and alot more challenging plus alot more dangerous and funner cause you dont have to sit and sit and sit and wait to climb 20 minutes on just one climb. But still both are rad but not even close to be anything of the same.

calii22

Apr 26, 2005, 2:58 AM
Post #106 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sweet man i feel stupid for talking on here but nice call with the numbers i hate numbers...

sick_climba

Apr 26, 2005, 4:21 AM
Post #107 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok i think the real question here... more for some than others... is are you ignorant enough to just stick with one type of climbing with out at least trying others? And if so what gives you the right to judge another type of climbing? Ferthermore, what gives you the right to judge a person who does enjoy that type? i have heard and seen very few people say i do it for the fun of it. in most types of climbing. that is the reason you should climb. Now i know i am only 15 and i am a total n00b, but that is the best way to do anything, just do it because its fun. if you don't then it is likly to lose purpose and meaning making you more clumsy and ignorant inturn sending you to an inevitable doom sooner than one would like. lastly i make the point that mankind will never be happy with what he and or she possesces, in mans endless journy to achieve he will always fail because he never settels or acepts what hes has, his greed always portrays him to look fore more . very few people actualy have the abilty to live in the moment and are able to do what the love doing all the time. if you love climbing, then why downsize different asspects of it? climbing is climbing and if you love it so much, im sure that you would do what it takes to do it... no matter what type. not pointing out any specific people or anything, but this topic has come up about 4 times that i have seen in the past month, and people always downsize other types of climbing just because they don't like it or have never tried it. just because you don't like it does that mean it is impure, or boreing, or easy? i should hope not.... personaly i boulder for the fun of it... i do all sorts of climbing for the fun of it... cept for trad have not yet got to try that... or water solo... havn't got to try that either... but my point is climbing is for fun not for finding more reasons you don't like people or their choices, likes. sorry for being so ... um anilitical i guess... i sorta anilized that to death lol

chamaeleon2000

Apr 26, 2005, 4:48 AM
Post #108 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do think the younger generation may have a point...(well analyzed sick_climba).

I like bouldering because its easy to do, by yourself, or with friends. I went to the climbing gym and the rock today....and to some climbers that would be heresy. To like both bouldering and rope climbing?? Nooo....can't be. I climb because I enjoy it, and I'll climb any chance I get, whether bouldering or top roping.

Can't we all just get along???

(Yeah....I know.... :D )

musicman

Apr 26, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #109 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i boulder when i either a) have no partner for the day or b) am feeling overly week and would like some power

lately i've been climbing at the gym due to bad weather and whenever i go there is no one to climb with, so boulder. and it's tons of fun just kinda hanging out talking to everyone, bouldering is definetly a social thing.

somedays i also just feel the need to work out bouldering, routes are great, and i'm awful at bouldering so ive been working on it. i think that it really helps my climbing routes.

buddalovesrock

Apr 26, 2005, 8:26 PM
Post #110 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ther is no difference between the both i think , Climbing is climbing and you should enjoy every bit of it whether its just bouldering,trad, or sport.Its all fun to me cause i can meet new people enjoy the hapiness and peace it gives me . So i love them both, I love Rope And Bouldering, I mean rope is fun cause I love how high you are you feel free with the world and bouldering is fun cause it practices on your balance and movement of what need when your doing a long route, and the freedom you have that is aswome cause you have no rope except a chalk bag and climbimg shoes and maybe a pad below you. Bouldering problems comes in different sizes and shapes and i love it all. Peace and much love to all the hardworking and motivated climbers out there.
BUDDHA :P

shiggetyshiva

Apr 26, 2005, 9:11 PM
Post #111 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bouldering to me is a lot like showing up at an outdoor basketball court and playing a pickup game. i love it because you can show up with your shoes, your chalk, and your friends if they can make it, and even if your friends can't make it you can still get your climb on. just like you can't blame the refs in streetball, with bouldering it's just you and the rock and you have to work it out.

olipab

Apr 26, 2005, 9:36 PM
Post #112 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have ony recently begun bouldering but i really enjoy it. Being able to do really powerful moves without getting too pumped feels great. I also like it because u can have go after go after go, and before you realise it you start becoming alot stronger...

lucas_timmer

May 7, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #113 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

No Subject [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because it's a good way to stay in shape for me and train (i've got my own woodie) and you don't need much stuff.
But, it isn't the only style I climb.I do sport, trad and indoor as well.

sick_climba

May 9, 2005, 2:12 AM
Post #114 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

re bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Because it's a good way to stay in shape for me and train (i've got my own woodie) and you don't need much stuff.
But, it isn't the only style I climb.I do sport, trad and indoor as well.
THIS IS EXCILANT! here is one exmple of a climber! well a well rounded climber i should say... he/ she climbs for the fun of it, they don't limit them selves to one or two types of climbing, they see the good in different types of climbing instead of focusing on the negitive! I SOLUTE YOU BRO :wink: . totally killa. 8^)

verticalcrag

May 9, 2005, 3:17 AM
Post #115 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Why do you boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cause its great...................although all forms of climbing are great...........especially trad.............bouldering is just more accesable for me especially when time is short............

monkeyarm

May 9, 2005, 3:56 AM
Post #116 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why do you boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I am way to ADD to wait and belay, Rope set ups waste time I could be climbing.

Also there is a lot less comitment to a boulder problem. If I start a boulder problem and find it boring then i up and move on, no draws to retrieve or anchor setups or partner who doesn't wanan be left without a belay

gearsighted

May 15, 2005, 3:09 AM
Post #117 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I can go out with limited time and actually climb without waiting to flake out a rope, belay for 20 minutes, clean a route etc. I love all climbing, but I have a tendency to boulder the most, because it is more social, and easier to do with my wife and kids!! :D

alpinerock

May 15, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #118 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

why boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Come-on. I mean sure bouldering is "cute", but no where near a pure form of climbing. If you guys want pure, go free soloing at your limit. Don't see any boulderers doing that. Now that's a pure form of climbing. Not jumping on a crash pad.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/photos/jump.cgi?Detailed=42048 pure enough for you?

I like to boulder, and thats that. I honestly don't give a damn if its pure or not, its fun. I also like to do longer trad routes, why? because once again ITS FUN. I also sport climb. why? because ITS FUN end of story.

sick_climba

May 16, 2005, 4:31 AM
Post #119 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Re: why boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Come-on. I mean sure bouldering is "cute", but no where near a pure form of climbing. If you guys want pure, go free soloing at your limit. Don't see any boulderers doing that. Now that's a pure form of climbing. Not jumping on a crash pad.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/photos/jump.cgi?Detailed=42048 pure enough for you?

I like to boulder, and thats that. I honestly don't give a damn if its pure or not, its fun. I also like to do longer trad routes, why? because once again ITS FUN. I also sport climb. why? because ITS FUN end of story.
Totally sick dude! I'm liking it I'm liking it! And by the way melonhead, I used to free solo all the time! I agree with you, when you solo you are truly at peace of mind I still think its awesome as hell and I still member the feeling I got from it, but its different when you have somone who loves deeply and sencerily. When you have somone who loves you and you love them then you don't wanna take the risk of death that comes along with soloing. My girl is the most important person to me, she is on the top of the list above climbing... just somthing to think about man. Not telling you you are wrong because i do agree with you that soloing is awesome, but yeah just think about it. Btw it's not the advice of a 15 year-old loser, its the advice given to a 15 year-old loser by many wise peole on this site.

mattmax45

Jun 16, 2005, 4:22 AM
Post #120 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice solo, I have one of my own.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=39697

At first I bouldered for the fun of it, then as I got better for the challenge, when things got pretty ugly in my world I started climbing harder (bouldering) , the harder I climbed the more disconnected I felt from the world, for a short time I was free, seperated from my demons, and when I came back from this other relm, I felt etherial, water like, almost as if the forces of life could pass through me instead of against me, weightless.
Now I boulder in a weightless relm where peace and fury coinside, balanced.

M.

In reply to:
In reply to:

bvb

Jun 16, 2005, 4:59 AM
Post #121 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

25 years ago the discussion taking place in this thread would not have been necessary.

everybody bouldered.

everybody did short/hard/free (i.e., 1 - 3 pitch free climbs such as are found at arch rock)

everybody did long/hard/free (i.e. middle cathedral, tahquitz, sentinal rock, the rostrum, etc)

everybody walled -- at least, most people managed to hack their way up the column or the nose or whatever.

everybody took a stab at ice, and alpine climbing.

it was all about being a well-rounded climber -- long before the media-driven balkinization of climbing pidgeonholed the categories to the point where various "camps" developed.

in the introduction to "basic rockcraft", royal robbins writes quite eloquently about the various branches of the tree of mountaineering. it should be required reading for everyone who has posted to this thread -- especially the last few pages of it.

sick_climba

Jun 16, 2005, 5:22 AM
Post #122 of 179 (16818 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice solo, I have one of my own.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=39697

At first I bouldered for the fun of it, then as I got better for the challenge, when things got pretty ugly in my world I started climbing harder (bouldering) , the harder I climbed the more disconnected I felt from the world, for a short time I was free, seperated from my demons, and when I came back from this other relm, I felt etherial, water like, almost as if the forces of life could pass through me instead of against me, weightless.
Now I boulder in a weightless relm where peace and fury coinside, balanced.

M.

In reply to:
In reply to:

matt,
love that pick dude! killer climb.
Climb on
chris

highballer8

Jun 16, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #123 of 179 (16842 views)
Shortcut

Why I boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that saying that bouldering is the most pure form of climbing is not a fair statement. Sure it takes the least amount of equipt. and it is just you and the rock but that doesn't mean a thing. Each form of climbing is beautiful in its own form, and is pure in its own way. Even though I consider myself a sport climber more than anything, I feel that bouldering will give you a solid foundation in any form of climbing that may be your forte`. Bouldering definitely is the best way to learn Technique, and that is why I consider it a must to be better when roped in. But I don't think that one can say that any area of climbing is more pure than others. Climbing is all about going up against something that is kicking your ass and overcoming it whether it takes a few hours to do that, or if it takes you months to do it. I hope that you will learn to appreciate all the areas whether trad, sport, alpine, aid, or bouldering and see the beauty and the influence that they all have on each other.

oldvenezuelanclimber

Jun 16, 2005, 4:02 PM
Post #124 of 179 (16866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 46 years old and I have been involved in bouldering for 23 years, why?
Fuck, I don't know.

sick_climba

Jun 16, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #125 of 179 (16866 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why I boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that saying that bouldering is the most pure form of climbing is not a fair statement. Sure it takes the least amount of equipt. and it is just you and the rock but that doesn't mean a thing. Each form of climbing is beautiful in its own form, and is pure in its own way. Even though I consider myself a sport climber more than anything, I feel that bouldering will give you a solid foundation in any form of climbing that may be your forte`. Bouldering definitely is the best way to learn Technique, and that is why I consider it a must to be better when roped in. But I don't think that one can say that any area of climbing is more pure than others. Climbing is all about going up against something that is kicking your ass and overcoming it whether it takes a few hours to do that, or if it takes you months to do it. I hope that you will learn to appreciate all the areas whether trad, sport, alpine, aid, or bouldering and see the beauty and the influence that they all have on each other.
I toatally agree Bro! I said that some where in these 9 pages. Music to my ears bro music to my ears. You don't hear to many people say that. Most just catigorize themselfs into groups and agree with what their peers think. Or at least thats what I have been hearing and seeing latly. Props to you man! You are another one of those climbers who in my eyes is truly a great climber!
Climb on
chris

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook