Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wildfire in Pine Creek Canyon (Red Rock)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

vegastradguy

Jun 22, 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Wildfire in Pine Creek Canyon (Red Rock)  (North_America: United_States: Nevada: Red_Rock_Canyon: Pine_Creek_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On Wed, June 21st, the 'Rainbow Fire' in Pine Creek Canyon was started by lightning sometime in the late morning or early afternoon.

It is currently burning over 25 acres which covers the hills at the base of the Brass Wall along with the main trail leading into the canyon.

Although not confirmed, I imagine access to this canyon is certainly limited today and possibly for a few days to come as fire crews get the blaze under control.

It is not known if anyone is missing or injured as a result of this fire. I'll post more updates here and on the Nevada front page as I get them.

flamer

Jun 23, 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Re: Wildfire in Pine Creek Canyon (Red Rock) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was out there this spring I noticed alot of extra cheat grass, Kind'a figured we'd be seeing some fires.

Just remember wildfires are good!! They help mother nature keep herself clean!!!

Maybe it will burn up some of the annoyingly over grown brush in Pine creek!!

josh

vegastradguy

Jun 23, 2005, 11:16 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, they're good. Too bad they're currently burning our summer climbing crag. Oh well.

The fire is almost contained and hopefully they'll re-open the loop road in time for the weekend.

No injuries or missing people have been reported.

vegasguy

Jun 24, 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #4 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

any new information on restrictions to the red rocks/ calico basin climbing area. i was all hyped up to go climbing on friday, and now i'm wondering if it is such a good idea. any new info would be great thanks.

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Calico should be open, since it is not part of the loop road.

I have not heard one way or the other if the loop road will be open tomorrow to traffic. If it isnt, though, you can always hike into the 1st three pullouts from Calico Basin through the pass.

vegasguy

Jun 24, 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #6 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the help if the loop is closed i will be in for a hike i guess.

flamer

Jun 24, 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #7 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, they're good. Too bad they're currently burning our summer climbing crag. Oh well.

..And here I thought you spent your summers pulling drilled pockets at Mt. Charleston!

josh

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #8 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

..And here I thought you spent your summers pulling drilled pockets at Mt. Charleston!

josh

I keep trying, but Larry is a persistent chap and has suddenly appeared with about a dozen new trad projects he seems to think he can talk me into doing in the summer. (All of them in Pine Creek, interestingly enough...) I also seem to recall Larry mentioning your name for one of those routes- something about run out 5.10 on varnished face climbing. i know he wasn't talking about me!

Of course, as soon as it starts being consistently hot out, i'll head up to the limestone! (It really hasnt crested 100 yet out in Red Rock...will soon, though...next week or so!)

flamer

Jun 24, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #9 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also seem to recall Larry mentioning your name for one of those routes- something about run out 5.10 on varnished face climbing.

Put me in coach!!! LOL...
You gotta love Larry!!

I climbed in RMNP today....it was kind'a cold!!

josh

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #10 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I climbed in RMNP today....it was kind'a cold!!

lucky bastard. if you're in Red Rock this summer, let larry know. that way you two can enjoy the heat while i'm up at Charleston in the shade.

actually, this saturday, i've talked larry into going sportin' with us at RR (baby steps- we'll get him up to charleston eventually)...i'm even going to teach him how to use a grigri for lead belay! :lol:

flamer

Jun 24, 2005, 1:11 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if you're in Red Rock this summer, let larry know.

Just because I'm game for runout 5.10(?) FA's doesn't mean I'm crazy!! RR in the summer???? See ya next fall....

I'll bet they burn off the road and the main trail to stop that fire (although that would leave a hole heading towards Ice box).......then just let it run up the canyon...there's rock every where it'll stop!! I think it would be way more cool if they fired out from the Fire ecology trail though!!!

josh

vegastradguy

Jun 24, 2005, 5:41 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3894 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I'll bet they burn off the road and the main trail to stop that fire (although that would leave a hole heading towards Ice box).......then just let it run up the canyon...there's rock every where it'll stop!! I think it would be way more cool if they fired out from the Fire ecology trail though!!!

it started on the main trail and headed north and east toward the mouth and brass wall. currently, its burned out on the north side, but the east side got out of the canyon and its burning up toward ice box. its still somewhat small, from what i understand, but it'll leave a hell of a scar. oh well...thats nature.

the news is only sparsely covering it- something about a big fire out by jean that's threatening to burn down the town is strangely getting more news coverage.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook