Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anchors at Sunset?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saxfiend

Jun 25, 2005, 1:05 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Anchors at Sunset?  (North_America: United_States: Tennessee: Eastern: Sunset_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm making my first trip to Sunset this weekend and am hoping someone can tell me the status of top anchors here. I read in the Dixie Cragger's Atlas that the park service approved placement of fixed top anchors to save the trees -- that was back in 1999.

Do most or all the routes have fixed anchors now, or should I be bringing lots of long webbing?

Thanks!

JL

tradalltheway

Jun 25, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anchors at Sunset? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there last summer and indeed there were quite new fixed anchors either at the top of each climb or near enough to get to and use. Get to the top of the climb and look for the anchors; they're there. Don't use trees for it is strictly prohibited and you'll be fined by rangers and cursed by the arrogant Sunset crowd. Have fun climbing.

saxfiend

Jun 25, 2005, 2:34 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't use trees at all? I guess that's a new rule, the Cragger's Atlas says trees can be used if you pad them. Glad I asked.

JL

saxfiend

Jul 7, 2005, 8:20 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2506 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't use trees for it is strictly prohibited and you'll be fined by rangers and cursed by the arrogant Sunset crowd.
As an update, it's actually not prohibited to use trees as anchors. The National Park Service climbing regulations for Sunset allow anchoring from trees with padding to prevent rope damage. Here's a link to the regs:

http://www.seclimbers.org/...et-Climbingregs1.pdf

Of course, now that bolted anchors have been installed, trees may no longer be necessary. There was only one climb we did the last time I was up there that didn't have bolts, and we rigged a gear anchor for that one. Maybe there are other routes that still don't have bolts.

I can't help wondering who you're referring to with the "arrogant Sunset crowd" remark. Of course, I've only been there twice, but haven't run into any jerks yet.

JL

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook