RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

scoutmaster23

Jul 1, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Where and How to Start Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a 23yr old man from Arkansas. I am interested in starting to climb. I have no clue where and how I should begin! Does anyone know of any Training Schools in the Little Rock Area or is there another way I can learn, an easier way to learn?

shear

Jul 1, 2005, 3:24 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where and How to Start Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i hear there's a pretty cool moderate 40ft roof problem somewhere in the ozarks... :wink:

schveety

Jul 1, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here are two rock climbing gyms that I came across on an internet search. It sounds to me like the Little Rock Climbing Center would be the best place to start. I would suggest checking it out and trying to take a beginners course there. Gyms usually have ways to hook you up with other climbing partners. There might also be some outside rock climbing courses available, and I think that would be even better if you would like to climb outside. Good luck. Also I know that there are some other people on this site from the Arkansas area and they could probably help you out more. Or try posting a need for a mentor on the appropriate regional discussions for you area under the "Forums" link. Also, if you are completely unfamiliar with climbing, I would suggest getting a book from the library on rock climbing and just read up, just to familiarize yourself, but not to replace a knowledgable mentor.

Little Rock

1. Fellowship Student Center
Napa Valley Rd.
Little Rock, Arkansas
(501) 224-7171

2. Little Rock Climbing Center
12120 Colonel Glenn Rd., Suite 7000
Little Rock, AK 72210
http://www.littlerockclimbingcenter.com

flipnfall

Jul 1, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started at 13 and simply climbed everything I could find. I practiced tying, anchoring and rappelling on trees, at indoor climbing gyms and outside. You can learn a lot just toying around in various places. My friend and I once bolted a 200 foot tall cottonwood tree in Minnesota. The bark is strong enough to climb on like a real route. We used 6-inch hexhead 3/8" screws with bolt hangers and had a blast. Unfortunately we were climbing on private property and didn't know it. We were asked to remove our gear and leave.

GT

schveety

Jul 1, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another aside, there is generally not an "easy" way to learn to climb, but a less expensive way would be to find someone to climb with who will teach you. I am also 23 and just learned to climb about two years ago. I started out climbing with someone who knew all the fundamentals of gear already and they got me started, taught me some technique, and you just gradually begin to pick stuff up the more you climb. It also depends what you want to climb---bouldering, traditional climbing, or sport, or alpine stuff.............

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook