RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

co2ca

Jul 11, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #1 of 3 (974 views)
Shortcut

Passing on long routes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm wondering what people's take is on passing parties on relatively long (5 pitches or more?) routes. My own opinion is that passing is a reasonable thing to do as long as it can be done at a belay and if it is possible to set up separate anchors. Sharing anchors or passing a party mid-pitch not only seem like they are bad ideas but also seem to increase the possibility of an accident to a level where the savings in time are no longer worth the risk.

schveety

Jul 11, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 3 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: Passing on long routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's okay if you do it in a safe manner (of course) AND the party you are passing has to be okay with it. Maybe they got there early because they did not want anyone climbing above them (rockfall). And I think most of us s-l-o-w climbers out there usually don't mind letting other people pass.

cjstudent

Jul 11, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #3 of 3 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: Passing on long routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ONLY if the party that you are passing is ok with it. And the response about rockfall is all too true. In June my climbing partner and I were climbing on Middle Cathedral in Yosemite when two a$$hole climbers decided to pass us without asking. They showed up to the crag when my partner was leading the first pitch. And on the 3rd pitch they passed us mid-pitch. Their leader was following right behind my leader, and when both of our leaders got up to the belay, the 2nd from the passing party took off in front of me without even saying a word. It turned out they werent much faster than us at all, and we ended up being 1 or two pitches behind them the entire climb. The second to last pitch I am leading, and hear a split-second "whoosh" then a fairly good sized (about the size and shape of a frisbee I assume) rock hit my head (I WAS wearing a helmet) and the rock luckily exploded over my helmet, lessening the impact. Talking about being pissed!!! I assume that it was the climbers above us, because it would make sense that they were about to top out the route when the rock fell. And I didn't hear no "ROCK" or anything. If you are going to pass someone at least try and not kill the people below with rock fall.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook