Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

flawrence

Jun 16, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #126 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Re: why boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bouldering has a low level of commitment. people who boulder EXCLUSIVELY have commitment issues :P

fiend

Jun 16, 2005, 5:03 PM
Post #127 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People still boulder?

Drytooling is the new bouldering.

mattmax45

Jun 16, 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #128 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

However,

I do believe the hard men of that era, Royal Robins, Pat Ament, Jgill etc... would have agreed, climbing isn't always about climbing, in many cases its a distension from our selves, like anything that seperates us temporarily from our every day normality, a magical place of peace and balance, any kind of euphoric activity such as this can suspend us, and to say that talking to others and LEARNING from their ideas and wisdom is redundant, I.E. "why do you boulder", is no better than saying that asking questions is stupid, typically the people who ask the questions are the ones who are thinking. And in case anyone noticed this is a bouldering forum . So if we feel that we need to share or talk with our iron hand micro crimping brethern, WE fu*king will.
That includes down to the fine print of ANYTHING we feel like that pertains to bouldering. So anyone who thinks that topic is stupid, pull u'r head from your ass and directly place it on top of a shotgun.

Cheers Matt.

P.S. "This post claims no responsibility for hurt feelings, sensitive winers, two pumpers, minute men, wankers, tall, short, skinny, large, black, white, anyone else, me, you, or him, anything that was said or not said, anything that was done or not done, any one who hates quesions , or answers for that matter, who thinks or doesn't think, or likes the art of chess. Some side effects that may occur are, red face, high blood pressure, hypoxia, anal leakage, nail biting, hair pulling, scratching, bad breath, nausia and necrophilia. Do not read this post without consulting your doctor first. OPPPSS. :twisted:

In reply to:
25 years ago the discussion taking place in this thread would not have been necessary.

everybody bouldered.

everybody did short/hard/free (i.e., 1 - 3 pitch free climbs such as are found at arch rock)

everybody did long/hard/free (i.e. middle cathedral, tahquitz, sentinal rock, the rostrum, etc)

everybody walled -- at least, most people managed to hack their way up the column or the nose or whatever.

everybody took a stab at ice, and alpine climbing.

it was all about being a well-rounded climber -- long before the media-driven balkinization of climbing pidgeonholed the categories to the point where various "camps" developed.

in the introduction to "basic rockcraft", royal robbins writes quite eloquently about the various branches of the tree of mountaineering. it should be required reading for everyone who has posted to this thread -- especially the last few pages of it.

bler

Jun 16, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #129 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
25 years ago the discussion taking place in this thread would not have been necessary.

COME ON, you really expect people today, to want to be well rounded climbers !?!?!?!

GOOOOSHHH

twiggy

Jun 16, 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #130 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been reading through these pages and I think it's pretty funny how many people are fighting over who can piss in the wind the furthest. Are rope climbers more pure than boulderers or vice versa, who cares? I've seen rope climbers that couldn't climb a ladder if they had to... I've seen boulderer's posing as if they just won a shopping spree at REI...I only wish I could climb like some rope climbers...I've seen boulderers with steel balls...I've bouldered what rope climbers wouldn't touch...and everything in between. The answer to "which is better" is a fallacy. I know I would rather be on rope than boulder...I know if I stay off a rope too long my endurance and commitment declines. But for me, if I don't boulder enough, I lose my mental edge. For me, if I can do it without rope (to a certain degree), it builds confidence. It all depends on the climber. I see this issue raised everywhere.

slackman

Jun 17, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #131 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why Boulder [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the problem solving. Although it's not as mentally challenging as other things i've done in my life, i've found it a living metaphore for life and the trials and tribulations you have to overcome. To get detailed, any independent person out there is defined by 2 things. A drive (get to the top!), and no one there supporting him or helping him along as a safety net.. (kinda like a belayer.. ironic!) And sometimes you can be holding on to almost nothing, just a little pinch or front point of hope.. and still previal. It all depends on how hard you're willing to hold on. That's about it in a nutshell.

twiggy

Jun 17, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #132 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good input slackman

sick_climba

Jun 17, 2005, 5:19 AM
Post #133 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bouldering has a low level of commitment. people who boulder EXCLUSIVELY have commitment issues :P
Ok I know this is probably a joke (please tell me it is) but that is so untrue! I commit to bouldering just as much as I commit to another climb! These past three weeks or so that I have focused on bouldering and only bouldering I have been running a 5 miles or so out to the area at a between 8 and 10, and staying there untill it gets to dark to safely climb... then I run back! I have been doing that EVERY day for the past 3 weeks or so! And besides I don't have a low level of commitment! But yeah to each his own. Good luck bro!
Climb on
Chris

vegan_coaster

Jun 17, 2005, 5:45 AM
Post #134 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that all climbing is pure, spiritual, and therapeutic. I boulder more than climb, because I am often pressed for time, alone, or without equip. Not to mention, while traveling the coast, there are millions of boulder opts. Though when my Sister and her BF are visiting from Sicily, or me and my bros trip to Castle Rock, it's all rope. The debate over which is better is like margerine vs. butter. It depends on your exposure, location, and tastes. As long as your feet and hands are on the rock, sweat is clouding your eyes, and finally taking of your shoes is slightly orgasmic, I'm not hatin on you, I'm stoked for your sesh.

boulderer420

Jun 17, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #135 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

+1

Its all abou the climbing whether your on a home wall in the back yard or your on a 1000 ft. pitch. Love for the rock.

sloper420

Jun 18, 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #136 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to get free meds from the add bolderers. and to tag their chicks when the sissies pass out trying to keep up drinkin with me

rickrock77

Jun 23, 2005, 2:16 PM
Post #137 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as will smith said, "its me against the world"....
Welll I boulder cause its just me and the wall... no one else is concerned. I can in 1 second be challenged to breaking point on a boulder problem, in fact for the entire time I am bouldering I can be challenged to as much as I can handle.
Climbing is not the same, there are plenty of places in a climb where it is easy, or you are just moving through some good protection untill you get to the lesser protection higher up.

Plus main reason, I cant afford the gear, I dont always have someone to climb with, and its quicker to boulder between study and work than to climb. There ar also more boulder locations closer to me than climbing locations.

choueiri

Jun 27, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #138 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I boulder because I feel like bouldering is very technical, there are a small number of moves that must be done in a certain order... and I like the way you have to think about it and execute it. I feel like it helps trad climbers because you dont have the feeling of being on a rope and you have to problem solve throughout your trad climb.

Tony

slackman

Jun 29, 2005, 4:27 AM
Post #139 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
bouldering has a low level of commitment. people who boulder EXCLUSIVELY have commitment issues

http://holeinthewall.shacknet.nu/goboulder/theory.jpg

theangryenchilada

Jul 7, 2005, 4:39 AM
Post #140 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Nice solo, I have one of my own.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=39697

At first I bouldered for the fun of it, then as I got better for the challenge, when things got pretty ugly in my world I started climbing harder (bouldering) , the harder I climbed the more disconnected I felt from the world, for a short time I was free, seperated from my demons, and when I came back from this other relm, I felt etherial, water like, almost as if the forces of life could pass through me instead of against me, weightless.
Now I boulder in a weightless relm where peace and fury coinside, balanced.

M.

you call that a solo? sheesh. THIS is hardcore soloing:

http://img.photobucket.com/...chizado/boulding.jpg

fog_walker

Jul 8, 2005, 6:12 PM
Post #141 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started bouldering a week ago. A friend asked if I wanted to go and I had nothing to do. After that session I was hooked. The feeling of summitting after trying and failing a lot is the greatest reward ever. Now you can find me on the boulders of Santa Barbara any night of the week.

seabee

Jul 8, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #142 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why do I boulder?

-Because I like to wear a knit beanie, wife-beater, and baggy pants.

-Because I say words like "sick" and "phat" and "skillz" a lot.

To me, bouldering is a lot like masturbation. Yeah, I do it. Everybody does it. I just don't want to talk about it.

radalack17

Jul 9, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #143 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

why bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I first started climbing, I started on a rope. I loved it because I love being up high. Then my friend showed me what bouldering was. Its hard cause you need a lot of upper body strength. I love working on probs. and making those power moves. But I got introduced to sport climbing, and I LOVED IT! But Boulderg is great to get out and to keep fit and work out. I was at Earth Trecks the other day. If you love to boulder you should go there. That place is amazing! Its worth the trip
CLIMB SAFE,
Justin

sick_climba

Jul 9, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #144 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

At first I bouldered for the fun of it, then as I got better for the challenge, when things got pretty ugly in my world I started climbing harder (bouldering) , the harder I climbed the more disconnected I felt from the world, for a short time I was free, seperated from my demons, and when I came back from this other relm, I felt etherial, water like, almost as if the forces of life could pass through me instead of against me, weightless.

M.

LMAO!!!! Sick dude,sick. lol
Climb on
Chris

noman668

Jul 9, 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #145 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...but can he press out the mantle???

talus_

Jul 10, 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #146 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i sure do seem to have this discussion a lot. my climbing partners are not big into bouldering. yet i love, love, love it. my job is complicated and stressful-- just like trad-- though i lead onb a regular basis and love the beautiful mountain places it takes me. sport cloibing is great and i enjoy working the crux out on a hard route and hitting the anchors. but i get both of these things from bouldering. hitting the boulders in eldorado canyon last weekend i was in a truly beautful place and the cruxes-- well, bouldering is only cruxes.
as far as committemnt goes.. every fall bouldering is a ground fall. and some of those boulders are pretty damn high.
cheers to some great responses in this thread

mattmax45

Jul 12, 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #147 of 179 (16418 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

M.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's some sick shit dog, U da man.
Keep crankin hard.

jt512

Jul 12, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #148 of 179 (16419 views)
Shortcut

subject [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My climbing partner (maculated) is a sport climber where I am a boulderer. Recently she asked my why I like bouldering more then climbing tied in.

I gave her this answer her: I believe that bouldering is more pure the climbing with a rope. There are no other things to consider, it is truly just you and the rock.

Yeah, you, the rock, and 4 truly pure moves in a row; 5 with the truly pure sit start.

-Jay

dirtineye

Jul 16, 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #149 of 179 (16407 views)
Shortcut

Re: subject [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
My climbing partner (maculated) is a sport climber where I am a boulderer. Recently she asked my why I like bouldering more then climbing tied in.

I gave her this answer her: I believe that bouldering is more pure the climbing with a rope. There are no other things to consider, it is truly just you and the rock.

Yeah, you, the rock, and 4 truly pure moves in a row; 5 with the truly pure sit start.

-Jay

Not so fast there JT. I have a 200+ foot boulder problem-- circumnavigates a rather large boulder.

But to answer the original question, I boulder because I like it. Got any more easy questions?

Partner climbinginchico

Jul 16, 2005, 1:12 AM
Post #150 of 179 (16407 views)
Shortcut

Re: subject [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I boulder as a last resort when I can't climb anything else. I would even sport climb before bouldering. :wink:

In all seriousness, I do enjoy bouldering, but I prefer trad, then sport, then being shot with a .45, then being kicked in the nuts, and finally bouldering.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook