Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
"Climbing Lonely Planet": Thailand? Need info.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbr_apprntx

Jul 24, 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

"Climbing Lonely Planet": Thailand? Need info.  (Europe: England: Peak_District: Stanage_Edge__OS_: Stanage)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi. I'm planning to go climbing in Thailand. So I need like a begginers guide to Thailand, things such like what are the best or more famous climbing zones in Thailand, how far from Bangkok thay are or how difficult the climbing is and how much money is it needed more or less. I mean, i would like to have a good reference from local climbers or climbers that have been there. Thanks.

Partner mountaindoc

Jul 25, 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #2 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Climbing Lonely Planet": Thailand? Need info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is only one main place to go, Phra Nang. It is 10 or so Km north of Krabi, which is about half way down the peninsula about the lattitude of Sura Thani. You may also find Ao Nang in the guide books which is about 10 Km north of Phra Nang. There are 3 beaches to stay at, Rai Lay east and West, and Tonsai. There is also some climbing at Ko Phi Phi Ray and Ko Phi Phi Don, but not nearly as many routes and they are scattered about. Most of the guidebooks will serve your purposes, such as Lonely Planet or Roughguide. High season is during our winter months here in the states. Hope this helps.

Christopher

robo555

Jul 25, 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #3 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you had a look at this site?

http://www.simonfoley.com/climbing/

It's dedicated to climbing in Thailand, has places to go, costs, what to bring for visitors and more.

rickeden

Jul 30, 2005, 4:38 AM
Post #4 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GUIDE BOOKS!!!
THERE IS A GUIDE BOOK FOR CLIMBING IN CHIANG MAI (look at the CHIANG MAI PAGE ON THIS SITE AND E-MAIL THEM) YOU CAN BUY AT A GUIDE AT THERE SHOP IN CHIANG MAI.

WEE HAS A GUIDE BOOK FOR SOUTHERN THAILAND, YOU CAN BUY THIS AT WEE'S SHOP ON TONG SAI IN KRABI.

IF THIS IS NO HELP E-MAIL AT rjeden@yahoo.co.uk I LIVE IN THAILAND!!

jacobbelsher

Jul 30, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #5 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is only one main place to go, Phra Nang. It is 10 or so Km north of Krabi, which is about half way down the peninsula about the lattitude of Sura Thani. You may also find Ao Nang in the guide books which is about 10 Km north of Phra Nang. There are 3 beaches to stay at, Rai Lay east and West, and Tonsai. There is also some climbing at Ko Phi Phi Ray and Ko Phi Phi Don, but not nearly as many routes and they are scattered about. Most of the guidebooks will serve your purposes, such as Lonely Planet or Roughguide. High season is during our winter months here in the states. Hope this helps.

Christopher

sage advice that...I mean I agree

jdmorris

Aug 3, 2005, 3:23 PM
Post #6 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are absolutely welcome to visit in chiang Mai. Flights are so cheap in Thailand now that you can easily go to both Krabi and CHiang Mai. Seems a shame to travel half way around the world and then stay in one city the entire time.

Chiang Mai has some good climbing too. Check out the photos at http://www.thailandclimbing.com/gallery.html

Cheers,

Josh

ddarko34

Aug 3, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cheap flights huh? from the US to thailand? what airlines? i'm considering getting a ticket.

mandrake

Aug 3, 2005, 4:53 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think he meant IN Thailand, as in internal flights. Do a search for Thai air. I flew them roundtrip BKK-Krabi a few years ago for like $100 and the flight was super-plush and practically empty. You could do overnight buses if you're short on cash and long on time, but it'll only save you may-be $40-50 and its like 16 hours to Krabi. Suspect you could do Bangkok-Chang Mai-Krabi flight for pretty cheap and get a sampling of Thai climbing in both the north and south. I hope to do just that myself next summer.

For flight TO Thailand, check out the small ads in the back of the travel section of your hometown paper. These are generally the ticket consolidators (or bucket shops). Do a google search for a description of how the consolidators work.

Unless you're deadset on visiting Bangkok, I'd recommend arranging for internal flights that leave 2-3 hours after your international flight is scheduled to arrive. Much easier than dealing with the hectic capitol right after a multi-hour flight. If you've got plenty of time, Bangkok's worth a visit, but I'd hit it on the way out of Thailand.

Thailand's wonderful traveling, very easy. As far a guidebooks, I'd just get the Lonely Planet (or Rough Guide) travelling guidebooks and just show up with a rope and draws and figure out the climbing after you arrive. I haven't been to Chang Mai, but everything is walking distance in Rai Ley and Ton Sai (taxi boats are actually the only motorized transport) and its easy to meet partners. Have fun.

icyfrosty

Aug 3, 2005, 5:13 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey mandrake,

I was just wondering why you said to only bring :"rope and draws". I'm considering going in October and was wondering if the only climbing there is sport ? If it is it will mean far less gear to bring for me :)

Thanks...

climbs4fun

Aug 3, 2005, 5:24 PM
Post #10 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are going in Oct and found great flights on Expedia.

oaktownrob

Aug 4, 2005, 1:31 PM
Post #11 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For flights from the US also try www.evaair.com. They showed up as one of the cheapest on expedia but booking directly at their site was $85 cheaper.

http://www.railay.com/ has some decent info on Railay climbing put together by one of the climbing shops there.

I'll be in Thailand Oct 7-21, pm me if anyone's looking for partners.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 4, 2005, 1:38 PM
Post #12 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey mandrake,

I was just wondering why you said to only bring :"rope and draws". I'm considering going in October and was wondering if the only climbing there is sport ? If it is it will mean far less gear to bring for me :)

Thanks...

If your going to Railay, it is all sport.

jdmorris

Aug 4, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #13 of 13 (5135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I meant flights in THailand. There are a number of "Jet Blue" style airlines that have popped up in the last few years. You can now fly Chiang Mai to Bangkok and vice versa for as little as 25$. You can also fly to Krabi and Pukhet for similar prices.

The climbing in THailand is all sport, Chiang Mai, Railay and the Bangkok areas.

Malaysia has seen serious development recently as well and you can find flights from Bangkok to Malaysia for as little as 50$ round trip. Check some of the following websites for info on cheap in country or in SE Asia flights. SOme of the spellings might be wrong so do a google search to check.

www.airasia.com
www.orient-thai.com
Tiger Airways
www.nokair.co.th

Climbing in Thailand has grown a lot in the last two years. There are new crags in the Bangkok area, Chiang Mai and around KRabi. There is a THai National team now as well so the sport is growing.

Check our website at http://www.thailandclimbing.com if you need more info.

Cheers,

Josh

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook