RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

aknecht

Aug 16, 2005, 1:47 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Mont Thabor conditions in summer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know this is may be the wrong place to make this post, but I am thinking about doing some mountaineering/ alpine climbing in the Western Alps. Most likely something easy like Mont Thabor as my father is joining me. I am also thinking about gran Paradisio.

Is anyone familiar with the conditions of either of these two mountains in August. Like how glaciated they are. Can it they be done with crampons and only trekking poles or does my old man need an axe.

I have found it difficult to find trip reports for this region here or anywhere else on the internet. Does anyone have a good resource for this they could direct me to.

Thanks for any information you have.

cheers,
Alex

firn

Aug 16, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mont Thabor conditions in summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haven't heard of Mont Thabor, but Gran Paradiso would be fine in August, if not zoolike. Its glaciated so take an axe and a rope.

hope this helps

HC

aknecht

Aug 18, 2005, 1:40 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mont Thabor conditions in summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the tip. I really need to find a good sight for Trip reports in the western alps. Mont Thabor is near Nevache in France and is only 3,400 meters so not too high. Great views but no glacier, per the request of my father.

I guess I will save gran paradisio for my next vacation. But if I have any real time off I want to head over to the Mont Blanc massif. There are some awesome looking peaks over there.

cheers,
Alex

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook